Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Fluid Change Day

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  AZRangerGuy 
#1 ·
Well today I changed all the fluids in my 08 Xp and the belt. It took me six hours to do everything but atleast I know it's done right! I had taken it to a dealer for the first change and after pulling the skid pan could tell they only changed the engine oil! I don't know how those mechanics sleep at night knowing they did'nt do what was paid for!

On another note I noticed that the chain on the transmission was hitting the drain plug. Has anybody else noticed the same on theirs?

Tim

#4 ·
I always change mine myself that way I kno wit's done and I keep my money in my pocket. You will be able to cut your time in half the next time you service it. I know I access the oil filter through the front plastic cover in the engine firewall. I tuck a large towel down underneath the filter so you don't have a bunch of oil dripping down on the skid plate. The only other location that takes a little extra effirt is the front diff, however it's not all that bad. I pull the inside fender well cover off on the drivers side and reach between the two large radiator hoses with a long extension and right in to the drain plug. Once it's drained I refill through the vent tube, works like a charm ;D.

#5 ·
I also do my own service work. I have an el cheapo recipe box filled with 3X5 index cards. I have a card on each vehicle I own. I start the first card with the vehicle, when I bought it and how much I paid for it. I then keep track of the date, mileage, and work performed. You would be amazed at how much time can go by between certain service intervals.

The nice part of this is when you go to sell that particular vehicle, you can show the buyer your maintenance records and they know it has been taken care of and serviced. This give the buyer more confidence in their purchase and is more likely to buy from you.

#6 ·
AZRangerGuy said:
On another note I noticed that the chain on the transmission was hitting the drain plug. Has anybody else noticed the same on theirs?
Ok I found out from another group that other guys have had this same problem and ground down the drain plug so that the chain clears the plug. Apparently this causes no problem and is just tight clearence.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.