Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

help, won't start

This is a discussion on help, won't start within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; My Ranger started to occasionally just click when I turned the key, then it would start on the second or third try. Now, it only ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #1

help, won't start

My Ranger started to occasionally just click when I turned the key, then it would start on the second or third try. Now, it only clicks and won't turn over. The battery is hot. Could this be a relay? The click is just under the driver seat. (2004 500 HO) Thanks for any help.
twyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 AM   #2

Re: help, won't start

Just had a no start problem with my 05 Ranger 4x4. Turn on the key and only hear a noise around the gas tank. I took a bunch of connectors apart and used a test light on them. Finally slapped the starter solenoid with a screwdriver handle and it started. Not sure if the slap did it or the connectors but now it starts and I think I know where to look next time. You can jump the solenoid with a screwdriver but you will have to have someone hold the brake pedal down to start it. Just hold the screwdriver between the two large posts.
buckseibert@insightbb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #3

Re: help, won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by twyatt
My Ranger started to occasionally just click when I turned the key, then it would start on the second or third try. Now, it only clicks and won't turn over. The battery is hot. Could this be a relay? The click is just under the driver seat. (2004 500 HO) Thanks for any help.
Hi! I would be VERY wary of jumping the solinoid terminals with a screwdriver because of the fact that you mentioned the battery being hot. This is a good indicator that the battery may be supplying power into a dead shorted load such as a shorted starter armature. If the starter was originally working, then sporadically working, then occationally working, then appears to have quit completely would lead me to suspect that it is the problem. Manually shorting acrossed a battery capable of supplying hundreds of amperes under that situation has the potential to "get ugly" very quickly! Jumping the solinoid is a common practice when the solinoid appears to be the only link in the starting chain that prohibits the engine from starting and I (like many many people) have done this numerous times, but when it is the solinoid that fails, no, (or limited), current flows through it to the starter and the battery will remain cool. I hope this helps you some... Take care... Mike
mdantonio is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
2002 polaris ranger 4x4 wont start
2003 polaris ranger clicks wont start
2008 polaris ranger wont start
my polaris ranger won't start
my polaris ranger wont start
polaris ranger clicking and won't start
polaris ranger clicking when starting
polaris ranger will not start

polaris ranger won't start

polaris ranger won't start just clicks

polaris ranger wont start

polaris rzr won't start
Click on a term to search for related topics.