Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Electrical Issues 08 Ranger XP

This is a discussion on Electrical Issues 08 Ranger XP within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I connected a 25 gal spray rig to my Ranger and problems followed. Now my speedometer, and winch do not work. I've checked the black ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #1

Electrical Issues 08 Ranger XP

I connected a 25 gal spray rig to my Ranger and problems followed. Now my speedometer, and winch do not work. I've checked the black fuses to the left and the solenoid clicks when I try to engage the winch. When I try engage the winch it drags the engine down and will kill it. Battery is charged. Any suggestions before I bring it in? Thanks
Old 11-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to caglezxj
Re: Electrical Issues 08 Ranger XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcoyote
I connected a 25 gal spray rig to my Ranger and problems followed. Now my speedometer, and winch do not work. I've checked the black fuses to the left and the solenoid clicks when I try to engage the winch. When I try engage the winch it drags the engine down and will kill it. Battery is charged. Any suggestions before I bring it in? Thanks
Does it crank? How did you tie the sprayer in to the electrical? Have you removed what you did to see if that fixes it? There has to be a fuse keeping your speedometer from displaying or a loose wire. Maybe take some pictures of how you hooked the sprayer up. If the winch solenoid pulls in then it should work if you have power to each side of the solenoid. Do you have a meter?

Josh
Old 11-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #3

Yes it does crank and the connection was regular aligator clips. Everything else seems to work fine. Lights and display on speedometer work. Large wires from battery to some type of solenoid .From that solenoid there are large wires to winch and small wires to speedometer. Thats the common point.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to caglezxj

Alright I am thinking the solenoid you are speaking of is for the winch to pull in for in and out. The small wires from it should be ran to a momentary switch. Where did you try to put the alligator clips? If the display and lights are working then I really don't know what is wrong with the speedometer. What does the winch do when you try to go in and out with it.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #5

I've wired many sprayers into ATV's over the years. A typical sprayer pump draws around 10 amps, depending on what pump you're using. The draw only occurs of course when the pump is running, and when spraying, the pump is on and off a lot. This sporadic, high voltage draw can wreak havoc with the undersized voltage regulators on ATV's.
I always wire directly to the battery. This eliminates voltage fluctuations to your engine and other accessories, especially voltage sensitive ones. I also stay away from alligator clips as they can bounce off and sometimes make poor connections. I use a polarized plug, like a little flat trailer connector. I attach wires, with solid crimp-on or solder-on terminals, at the battery and to the sprayer pump. then wire in the plug in a location where it can be easily unplugged when you're not using your sprayer. Remember to make any exposed prongs of your plug that will remain on your ATV, the ground. This will eliminate the possibility of an accidental short when your sprayer is unplugged. Good Luck.
Rotorpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #6

Oops! Major ingredeient forgotten. Be sure to fuse that new lead to your sprayer pump. That's best done right at the battery.
Rotorpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #7

Do you have it wired directly to the battery? My father in law wired in his winch using the lugs on the starter solenoid. When he operated the winch under load it would somehow cause the starter to engage. I moved the wires direct off the battery, and the problem went away. As mentioned above, be sure to fuse it at the battery also.

2005 GMC Duramax CC SLT
2008 Polaris RZR
2009 Polaris RZR

"Have you ever stopped to think, and forgot to start again?"
2005DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #8

I've got a sprayer that i use on our food plots and the easiest way i have found to hook up the sprayer is to carry a extra battery and hook it up to that. I dont use mine alot so i didnt see any need to wire it to the battery on the ranger. Its easy and it works.

Heath
Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #9

The winch was hooked up at the dealer. The solenoid after some research is a contactor. The small wires off the contactor go to the plug on the dash. The contactor clicks when I press out and does nothing when I press in. The winch does nothing at all. Would the sprayer pump kicking off and on damage the contactor for the winch? Also is the speedometer dial electrical or cable?

I hooked the spray rig directly to the battery with aligator clips. I'll get an extra battery when I spray again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
2007 polaris 700 xp regulator voltage

2007 polaris ranger voltage regulator

2007 polaris ranger xp voltage regulator

2008 polaris ranger 700 xp voltage regulator
2008 polaris ranger battery problems
2008 polaris ranger speedometer problem

2008 polaris ranger voltage regulator

can i plug a sprayer in to polaris ranger
polaris ranger voltage problems

polaris ranger voltage regulator

polaris ranger winch problems

where to hook up sprayer on polaris ranger
Click on a term to search for related topics.