Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Need help - Rough running Ranger

This is a discussion on Need help - Rough running Ranger within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I have an 06 XP & have been having some running problems with it & wanted to get input from the forum. When my Ranger ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #1

Need help - Rough running Ranger

I have an 06 XP & have been having some running problems with it & wanted to get input from the forum. When my Ranger is cold, it starts & idles normol. BUT when it gets warmed up, it sputters on idle or even dies. The local Polaris dealer said the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) needs replaced. Does this sound like it would help resolve the problem. I found one on ebay, are they easy to replace, or should it be done at the dealer?
I am also experiencing some rattling coming from the Ranger when I am in high rpm's. It sounds like it is coming from underneath, but I have looked around & not found anything that is loose. Is this common? Any input on what I could look at to see if I can fix the problem? THANKS for the help!
7lazy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to caglezxj
Re: Need help - Rough running Ranger

Welcome to Polaris Ranger Forum!

The rattles.... They all do it. Sometimes it can be the Aluminum Exhaust shield vibrating on the exhaust. Just bend it back. Then it could also be the springs that hold the muffler on, but mine seemed tight and the shield was my issue. If it is out of warranty then I would get the sensor and install it myself. Just take your time, it is an easy change. And those sensor have been issues that cause that problem. Let us know what you figure out.

Josh
Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #3

Josh is right, the rattles are pretty normal, and are usually something to do with a cracked or loose heat shield.
The TPS, if that is the problem is easy to change, but is real sensitive to adjustments. You have to back probe the yellow wire at the connector and connect a multimeter to it. You have to unhook the throttle cable, back off the air idle screw untill it doesnt touch the throttle arm (which in turn closes the butterfly), then adjust the TPS to .528 volts. Lock down the TPS, making sure it reains at .528, then turn the air idle screw while watching the multimeter until it reads .660 on 06 and 08s, and .710 on 05 and 07s. Then hook the throttle cable back up, being sure it has just enough slack that it doesnt pull on the throttle.
The bad news is sometimes those symptoms are caused by a bad Tbap sensor or damaged wiring to the Tbap. Both parts can cause simlar symptoms. Be sure to check the iwres right at the Tbap connector, they can break inside the plastic, so you have to lightly pull on them to see if they stretch.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:48 AM   #4

Thanks for your input! I'm NOT too mechanically inclined, so it may be in my best interest to just take it to the dealer & get bent over $$. Appreciate your help fellers!
7lazy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #5

I just moved my TPS intill the machine ran better. but I think its eatting my fuel now
anyone know were to find a after market TPS ?
chadjones99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
06 polaris ranger 700 xp throttle positioning sensor
2007 polaris ranger 700 sputtering low rpm tbap
how to adjust tps on polaris ranger 700 efi
how to replace the tps on a 2009 polaris ranger
poaris ranger 2008,700xp sputters and dies
polaris ranger 2009 700 efi throttle positioning sensor

polaris ranger running rough

polaris ranger running rough is it an octan problem
polaris ranger runs rough
polaris ranger throttle position sensor

polaris ranger tps problems

throttle position sensor 2008 polaris ranger 700
Click on a term to search for related topics.