Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

06' XP 700 Ranger idles ok but back fires and chokes when up accelerateing

This is a discussion on 06' XP 700 Ranger idles ok but back fires and chokes when up accelerateing within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I have a 06 700 XP ranger it is worked by me on my fish farm, other than just getting me around the farm it ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #1

06' XP 700 Ranger idles ok but back fires and chokes when up accelerateing

I have a 06 700 XP ranger it is worked by me on my fish farm, other than just getting me around the farm it dont have hard work very often.
at about 435hrs it started running very bad and then just quit running at all and the wrench light was on. I am a mech myself but not tooled for the job for me to fix the machine myself. Being the machine had such low hours on it and I was pressed for time and needed it fixed quick I opped to take it back to the dealer. they told me the ecm and the fuel pump were bad and that the fuel pump was a update and had to come with the tank also cost 800$ and the service manger said that they have had alot of rangers come in with bad ecm's and that polaris should call a recall because so many were going out. and that the fuel pump was weak and that there was already a service bulliton thats why it needed and pump and the tank together.now about year maybe alittle more it started running rough so i put new plugs, cleaned with a lent free rag the throtel body out just wiped it clean and that was about it checked the air filter everything is good, idles fine but try to put it under power and it hacks and coughs bacfire if you stay on the gas and will go but runs like i have found the ifafter you getgoing and you pump the pedel and hold and pump again it will go but if you try to hold the petal in the same postion it will go to missing and coughing again. but if you just let off the gas and roll to a stop the machine will run and ide fine ? lost dont really think that I want to take back to dealer would like to fix it myself still making payments on it. can't afford another 800$ any help would be greatly welcomed
cowboy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #2

Re: 06' XP 700 Ranger idles ok but back fires and chokes when up accelerateing

Check for excessive throttle pedal play. Might need to be tightened up a bit.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #3

Checki the wires to the Tbap sensor located between the throttlebody and the air filter in the air tube, The wires there will break right at the connector, but the plastic will remain intact, so you have to lightly pull on them to see if they stretch. Sometimes those wires will rub on the frame and ground out also. I'm betting thats your issue. Polaris sells a replacement Tbap harness.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #4

thank you for the info will check both.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #5

hey checked both everything seemed to be ok read on here a key trick to get a blink code from what i understand from the instructions the code is a 61 does anyone know what that means ?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy777
hey checked both everything seemed to be ok read on here a key trick to get a blink code from what i understand from the instructions the code is a 61 does anyone know what that means ?
The following was copied from a thread on this site:http://polarisrangerforum.com/index.php/topic,183.0.html
Downloading Codes

The EFI diagnostic mode is for informational purposes only.

1. Engage the parking brake
2. Stop the engine
3. Turn the key switch to the ON position.
4. Turn the key switch off and on three times in less than 5 seconds, then leave the switch ON. Any blink code numbers stored in the EFI module will display, one at a time, on the screen. The number "61" and the words " END " displays after all the codes have been transmitted.

This came from this link: http://polarisrangerforum.com/index.php/topic,183.0.html
I guess this does not help too much. To find this, type in "blink code 61" in the search box after you have signed in.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #7

no still nothing from what i found out 61 means there are no codes , does anyone know what the fuel pressure is surposed to be at the fuel rail? maybe it's that ? any ideas
Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #8

Thye fuel pressure should be a minimum of 38 PSI. Sometimes a bad harness can be real hard to find.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #9

ok got fuel pressure guage fuel pressure is at adle is only 20 psi
Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #10

Does anyone know if there is a regulator in the fuel rail to regulate to injection pressure ? would like to know what is the max presure that you give it? If I can find this out will build my own pump system it will be cheaper than the 315$ polaris wants to sell me If no one has done this I will be the Tester of this idea.I f this work will share the outcome with yall and give instrutions and part numbers so it will be cheaper and proabibly more reliable than polaris.
for example: the fuel pump in my dwarf car is for a ford bronco 2 but it is suppling the injection on my 03' yamaha R1 1000 the motor injection rail that regulates the fuel to 65 psi so i found a pump at the parts store thats pressure was 70 psi works great and the pump cost about 80$

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page

2006 polaris ranger fuel filter

2007 polaris ranger 700 xp fuel pump
2008 polaris ranger xp 700 wiring specs
700 polaris ranger fuel pump replace
700 ranger fuel pressure
fuel pressure for a 2006 polaris ranger xp
how to change fuel filter on polaris ranger
is there a tool to check the fuel pressure on a 2008 700 polaris ranger

my 09 polaris ranger 700 xp runs good for a min and than it has no power

polaris 700 xp code 61
polaris eanger xp 700 backfire
polaris ranger 700 xp backfires
Click on a term to search for related topics.