Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Adjusting the rear suspension

This is a discussion on Adjusting the rear suspension within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I have recently bought a 2005 Ranger xp and want to stiffen the suspension by repositioning the top of the shocks to the outside mounting ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Adjusting the rear suspension

I have recently bought a 2005 Ranger xp and want to stiffen the suspension by repositioning the top of the shocks to the outside mounting holes. The owner's manual makes this sound like a simple task. Has anybody done this and is it that straight forward? Thanks for your help.
jd
mhcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #2

Re: Adjusting the rear suspension

yep its as simple as it sounds and rides much better IMO. Looks better too

2005 4x4 with stuff :-)
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #3

Okay, probably a dumb question but do I need to jack up the rear end a little to take some of the tension off the shocks? I am afraid of what will happen if I take the nut off and just drive the bolt out of the frame. Thank you for help and replying.
JD
mhcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #4

Its been several years since I did mine... But I dont remember jacking it up. I think I just pushed up a little, pulling the bolt sliding the shock out and reistalling the bolt. If my memory is wrong I appologize but I think thats all there was to it. once you get the nut off you should be able to tell if lifting the bed a little will let it slide out.

2005 4x4 with stuff :-)
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

I just did this on my 2006 500 4x4 (April 7, 2011). I had to jack it way up, first to remove tension from the springs on the shocks so I could get the top bolt out, then even farther so I could swing the shocks to the outer position.

At first I thought I would have to take the bottom end of each shock loose, but I jacked it way up the air and then used a 2x4 about 4' long to pry the tops of the shocks past the tight spot. Then I lowered the jack until the bolt hole was aligned, slipped the bolts in, tightened the nuts, and was done.

I did one side at a time.

I used a big bottle jack under the hitch receiver, and for insurance I had a pair of jack stands under the machine to catch it if the jack failed. There are logical locations for the jack stands if you look at the rear end, about 6" or so to the left and right of the hitch receiver.

The nuts were on the bolts very tightly. Took some real oomph to get them loose. Actually I tapped on a ratchet handle with a hammer to get them loose.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

i just did mine last night on a 2011 i had to use a floor jack and jack up the back i was able to pull down on the shock to get it past the frame then let the jack down a little to line up with new tabs. overall was very easy. but in my case i had to put them back to the original position in the back becase my tires interfeered with the shock.
Josh CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #7

I did mine because when I had a bunch of stuff in the bed and two big boys in the front, the machine wallowed a bit while driving. Gently rocking back and forth rather than being really stable, while we were rolling.

I'm hoping this will help stabilize it.

My buddy's 2001 4x4 with non-independent rear (straight axle) doesn't have that problem, but it rides a lot rougher on uneven terrain.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
adjusting how to adjust suspension on polaris ranger
adjusting shocks on polaris ranger
how to adjust rear shock on my 2004 polaris ranger
how to adjust shocks on polaris ranger
how to adjust shocks on polaris ranger xp
how to adjust suspension on polaris ranger
how to change rear shocks ranger polaris
polaris ranger rear shock adjustment

polaris ranger shock adjustment

polaris ranger suspension adjustment
polaris ranger suzuki gs 500 suspension adjustment
polaris shock adjustment
Click on a term to search for related topics.