Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Starter gear does not disengage immediately after engine starts

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Russ Chastain 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2011 Ranger 400. The starter sounds as though it does not disengage immediately when the key switch is released. It does not last more than 2 to 4 seconds, but I am concerned that it will lead to future problems. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. I spoke to the dealer about my concerns. He said that this is normal on a Ranger 400 when new, but it should loosen up by the time I put 35 hours on the machine. If the problem does not correct itself after 35 hours of running he suggest that I bring it in so they can check it out. I would still like to hear from other owners. Thanks.

#2 ·
I have a 2006 Ranger and noticed the same thing. A friend has an older one, 04 maybe, and his got so bad that the teeth got chewed off the bendix gear. He replaced it with a new assembly, which wasn't cheap.

I don't know how it compares with the new ones like yours, but on that one there is a cover on the rt side of engine, which would have to be removed to access the bendix gear if you wanted to lube it, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.