Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Polaris Extended Warranty?

This is a discussion on Polaris Extended Warranty? within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; My 2011 500 Ranger 6 month warranty is about to expire. Polaris sent me a letter today for an extended warranty. I have 49 hrs, ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #1

Polaris Extended Warranty?

My 2011 500 Ranger 6 month warranty is about to expire. Polaris sent me a letter today for an extended warranty. I have 49 hrs, and 360 miles on the ranger now. I have not had any "problems" but this thing has alot of little funny issues. Starter keeps running after engine cranks, gas smell in the oil, squeeling noise when going down hill off gas, clicking noise in rear brakes, ETC. I have always owned Honda products and they are bullet proof. Never even considered buying an extended warranty on them. Is this thing bullet proof too? Should I purchase the warranty? What is covered by this warranty? Or should I just keep riding?
IHMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #2

Buy the extended warranty, it will be a bargain.

ATVs and UTVs are the only thing I would say that for and it is from bad experiences from Polaris and Artic Cat. Make sure you also use their overpriced filters and oil or your warranty is void. ($40 for filter and 2 quarts of oil) Right now I wish I had bought the warranty for my 2011 Ranger XP. 230 hours and 7 months and I need an engine rebuild and I did every thing by the book and the machine is never beat. Not happy in Wisconsin. Had bad stuff also happen on a Artic Cat 500 ATV and Prowler 650 UTV shortly after the warranty expired. Weird stuff like a speedometer gearbox bushing seizing and breaking off the end of the crankshaft and the pieces taking out the main crankshaft bearing (Artic Cat estimate $2000, did it my self $500 in parts and lots of my labor.) Prowler rear wheel bearing failure about two years after purchase trashed hub and shaft, didn't even ask for price from dealer, $500 in parts. It is hard to get out of their shops for under $1000 for anything related to the engine or transmission. Make sure you check your oil often. Buy the damn warranty before you wish you did! These units are not make to last and when they need repairs you will buy the machine again. If your not a mechanically inclined stay away from these machines or you will pay and pay.
jclieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

How much ya looking at for the warranty? Where close to pulling the trigger on a new one and I to am debating the extended warranty.
hillbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Z71

Quote:
Make sure you also use their overpriced filters and oil or your warranty is void. ($40 for filter and 2 quarts of oil)
They cannot void your warranty for that, its illegal for them to do so. Those that think that have bought into the dealer propagana designed to get you to buy only their products. Any dealer that tells you that is unethical, in reality he is threatening you will loss of warranty unless you buy his products. Car dealers can't get away with that but for some reason ATV/UTV owners let powersports dealers pressure them into spending money on only their products. In reality none of these OEM companies even make an oil or filter, they contract that out to someone else to supply them with lubes and filters and often who gets the contract it determined by the lowest cost bidder to meet the spec's. These low bid suppliers are only going to spend what they have to to make the product and they will cut corners anyway they can to increase their profits. The OEM's leave it all up to these low bid suppliers to blend, package, warehouse and ship to its dealers, all they do is set the price and collect the profits alll the while their dealers are intimating customers into thinking theirs it the best.

Quote:
Congress in 1975 enacted the federal Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate written consumer product warranties.

The law was meant to give consumers detailed information about warranty coverage before they buy.

Congress charged the Federal Trade Commission with creation of the specifics of the law.

The FTC set down three rules under the Act: the Disclosure Rule, the Pre-Sale Availability Rule and the Dispute Resolution Rule.
Those rules require warrantors to title their written warranty as either full or limited, provide a single, clear and easy-to-read document that spells out certain information about coverage and ensure that warranties are available where the products are sold so that consumers can read them before buying.

In passing the Act, Congress meant to give consumers access to warranty information, let consumers comparison shop for warranties, encourage warranty competition and promote timely and complete performance of warranty obligations.

While the Magnuson-Moss Act does not require manufacturers to provide a written warranty, it provides specific rules when one is provided. Among those provisions, FTC regulations state: (c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. (15 U.S.C.2302(C))

Last edited by Z71; 05-30-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMike View Post
My 2011 500 Ranger 6 month warranty is about to expire. Polaris sent me a letter today for an extended warranty. I have 49 hrs, and 360 miles on the ranger now. I have not had any "problems" but this thing has alot of little funny issues. Starter keeps running after engine cranks, gas smell in the oil, squeeling noise when going down hill off gas, clicking noise in rear brakes, ETC. I have always owned Honda products and they are bullet proof. Never even considered buying an extended warranty on them. Is this thing bullet proof too? Should I purchase the warranty? What is covered by this warranty? Or should I just keep riding?
Mike, shop around. There is tons of markup on warranties. Check out Ball Equipment and US 27 for price quotes.

My dealer quoted me the standard Polaris prices. $1350 for 5 years seemed a little pricey. Ball was several hundred dollars cheaper.

And that's for a Polaris warranty. Not a dealer warranty,
varob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #6

Here's the thing about aftermarket warranties. These guys are not in the business of making sure your machine runs and you're happy with the product. They're out to make money right? They're betting, not on luck, but on actuarial tables that say you'll pay more for the warranty than they will in repairs under they policy they sell you. Do some people come out ahead on them? Absolutely, but if more did than not there would be no aftermarket warranties offered.

If you can swing it and you'll sleep better, buy it, but I stay away from them myself. If you have existing issues get them covered by Polaris, they'll be way easier to deal with. Especially the gas in oil issue, that will burn up the engine.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #7

First, I'd determine exactly how much you intend using your machine, How good or handy your are with tools and repairs.

Next, you want to carefully read all fine print on after market service contracts. Understand the exception clauses. There will be many.

Google each contract my name using terminology that google can ID hits that'll assists you in learning of known issues or unhappy customers, even outright ripp-offs. Another tactic is to research the Better Business Bureau for complaints even non-compliance orders civil actions so on. Of course civil actions would be discoverable on the home state data base via Licensing to do business as. Or filing fictitious business name. Any civil actions with be noted there.

Then go from there... I could tell you all about my choice, but, my situation may not be fitting to your usage.

<<<<
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #8

Thumbs up It's a no brainer!

I think it is absolutely crazy IMHO to not buy the extended warranty! The extended warranty was a big reason I purchased my Polaris. I would only buy one backed by Polaris. The other companies can and are gone tomorrow. I usually don't purchase extended warranties BUT I also don't use products in the way that I use my ATV! Something that is expensive to buy and expensive to repair and litterally used hard and put away wet is definitely something I want covered. The cost benefit is huge. My warranty is also refunded IF I don't use it AND I request it back in writing within 30 days of it expiring in 5 yrs! I'm not sure if I will remember but the peace of mind is worth it to me, and I honestly believe I will end up using it within the 5 years. I believe mine cost me $1200, $240 per year, or $10 per ride (2 x per mos for 5 years)! This is another way I looked at it... Would you buy an ATV with a 6 mos warranty for $5700 or an ATV with a 5 year warranty for $6900? There is a reason all manufacturers only guarantee these things for only 6 months. For me the extended warranty is a no brainer.
KYRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #9

My dealer doesn't even offer a dealer warranty, just the PolarisStar warranty.

This is Polaris backed warranty, not a individual dealer warranty.

Two things I've been doing a of homework on is warranties and insurance.

If I buy a warranty it would only be a PolarStar.
And for insurance its Progressive.
varob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
extended warranty for polaris ranger
polaris extended warranties

polaris extended warranty

polaris extended warranty coverage

polaris ranger extended warranty

polaris ranger warranty
polaris ranger warranty information
polaris warranty
polaris warranty check
polaris warranty information
rzr extended warranty
should i buy polaris extended warranty
Click on a term to search for related topics.