Polaris Ranger Forum banner

belt troubles 07 ranger 500

18K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  garmin220 
#1 ·
alright so heres what i goe. a 2007 polaris ranger 500 efi. i bought it july of 2010 and since then i have slung 3 belts. the first one was problly my fault. but the other 2 were in situations i wouldnt think it would happen. the one time i was just climbing over a fallen tree ( which 3 other rangers and a kubota did) and the other time i was running at high speeds, not full speed but probally about 25 to 30 miles an hour and for about 20 minutes and it just went. i see the way my riding buddys treat theres and mine is babied compared to them. i dont know if these belts just suck or what but i cant keep spending 75 bucks everytime i want to ride. anyone else having these issues or does anyone know what the problem might be. any help is very much appreciated

#2 ·
I don't know what the trouble could be.

My buddy has a hard-used 2001 500 4x4 with more than 500 hours on it, and he's still on his original belt. It has been used at high speed, low speed, heavy loads, light loads, you name it and it's done it. He uses it almost every day.

I hope my 2006 gets as much mileage out of its belt as his has!

#5 ·
I have a 2010 Ranger 500HO efi, I have about 95 hours on it now. I Pull a 1500lbs boat everywhere (rough terrain) I launch it in the lake with the water coming right up to the top of the seat. I run mud, rocks, high speed fire roads......never had any issue. If the atv clutch work similar to a snowmobile clutch I would look at motor vs secondary clutch alignment or problems with your ramps or weights.......

Good luck and keep us posted.

#7 ·
i don't think i would shim it - I have only had to replace the belt once, and i had burned a spot in it once when water got into the belt box. Sounds to me like the pulleys are out of wack. Did you buy this unit new or used, and if used does it look like someone tried to install an aftermarket clutch kit, say for larger tires? Have you looked at it witht he belt cover off and the thing in neutral, then see what pulley is getting out of alignment?

#9 ·
ok so ive looked it all over. the clutch and secondary are completely smooth not a scratch or nick in them. the belt looks as if it is straight as an arrow, not riding to one side or the other. and the motor mounts are fine. not really sure what the issues are. has anyone had any luck with aftermarket clutches. im looking on bikemanperformance.com at their clutch kits. may be the route i have to go

#10 · (Edited)
I have heard of a couple of reasons for it. One thing to check is the motor mounts. If they are cracked then it will throw the balance off and eat them fast. If i remember correctly, the service manual says that under prolonged use with <7mph, you should be in low...>7 you should be in high. If you are hauling heavy loads, you should be in low. Also you should let it warm up at least 5 minutes to loosen the belt. Also if the belt is new, then you should have a break in period of at least 10hrs before going max speed, approximately 41mph. I have the same utv as you and had issues at first. I upgraded my belt as well. For some reason the 500 belt is weaker than the 700. There is a lot of debate as to weather or not you can do that or whether you need the shim the clutch to accept it. I placed a belt(with no shimming) that i got from NAPA on it and after 30 hrs it looks brand new. I have not really gone top speed but done a lot of slow snow riding as well as pulling logs from the beaches. Hope this helps.

#11 ·
thanks for all the help. i got a motor mount. my front one was seperated. glad i finally figured that out. went with a stock belt. if it breaks again ill upgrade. if anyone else has this problem the way to check the motor mounts is to take a crowbar and lift or push away from the mounts. there should be no seperation between the mount and the frame or engine. thanks again guys

#12 ·
So had another problemslinging belts on new years weekend. This time it was my secondary clutch. There are little buttons on the inside that were completely wore out. I believe there were 4 of them all together. Also. There a big tooth gear in there that was all chewed up. I bought a used good clutch and put new buttons in it. Rode better than ever now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.