Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

2011 ranger 800 crew problems

This is a discussion on 2011 ranger 800 crew problems within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; So with all the problems I see here, is anybody happy with their 800 crew or should I stick with the Rhino or Big Red?...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #1

2011 ranger 800 crew problems

So with all the problems I see here, is anybody happy with their 800 crew or should I stick with the Rhino or Big Red?
PLPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #2

I only have about 10 miles on my new 800 Crew but so far I like it, have not had it long enough to form any negative opinions. But I have ridden polaris ATV's since 1996 and this one seems good so far
Kenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

i have a 2011 polaris ranger 800 crew cab
it has been cutting out almost like it is runing out of gas
i have had wiring harness replaced & insulated gas line the shop
thought the gas line might have been the problem runs good some then starts cutting out
almost like when you run truck past 100mph & it bucks with you it is
not sending any codes

Last edited by kenny; 05-09-2011 at 12:20 PM.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

I bought a brand new 800 Crew in Dec. and it has been a total pile of junk. I have had wireing harness troubles, transmission failure, front diff. is leaking fluid, speed sensor. the list goes on.
jbhall8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #5

i have had mine for a month, and have had no problems knock on wood! knock knock! i have about 30 hrs and 150 miles on it & have been cutting grass pulling my swisher rugged cut mower up on my hunting property every weekend for bout 3 hrs a weekend. so far so good we love it!

tom
busatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by busatom View Post
i have had mine for a month, and have had no problems knock on wood! knock knock! i have about 30 hrs and 150 miles on it & have been cutting grass pulling my swisher rugged cut mower up on my hunting property every weekend for bout 3 hrs a weekend. so far so good we love it!

tom
Good luck with it
jbhall8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLPost View Post
So with all the problems I see here, is anybody happy with their 800 crew or should I stick with the Rhino or Big Red?
Our new Polaris is turning out to be crap! We had a Rhino 660 that "took a licking and kept on ticking". I WISH WE WOULD HAVE KEPT IT!
julierae207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhall8808 View Post
I bought a brand new 800 Crew in Dec. and it has been a total pile of junk. I have had wireing harness troubles, transmission failure, front diff. is leaking fluid, speed sensor. the list goes on.
Our wiring harness burned up, but luckily was still under warranty. Rear tie rod snapped in half and we weren't even doing anything that this machine "supposedly" couldn't handle-just riding through our woods. Last night the front gear box broke-oil running out-from pulling a teenage girl on a 4-wheeler out of the mud. I hate this Polaris! I'm going to try to fight Polaris and make them take this hunk of crap back!
julierae207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #9

I had a 2010 ranger xp le and never had any problems. Granted I just used it on gravel roads and some pavement but nothing extreme as I have seen on this and other sites. I traded for a 2012 ranger crew le. To take the grandkids around our property and so far, knock on wood, no problems. It has 100 miles and 25 hours. The longest run was 10 miles thru forest roads and across some creeks with no issues. I do use many of the advise I read on this forum, such as letting fan turn off before turning the unit off. Letting the fuel pump prime before cranking the motor and insulating the passenger rear seat against Heat. I did recently install fuel filters on my three vent tubes, that I read helps keep debrie out. Again, with so many units out there, you really only read posts on a small percentage having problems. Having said that, Polaris needs to do a better job of dealing with customers who do have issues with their machines. You pay lots of money and should have a dependable, reliable machine.

Last edited by Nantahala; 05-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Nantahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #10

You read all the negative comments on forums because that's where everyone turns to when they have a problem. If there's nothing wrong with the product you will never hear about it because the owner is out using it and too busy to write a positive review.

I had a 2011 Yamaha Rhino 700. It was great for riding around the mountains and trails, but when it came to hauling and towing it falls very short of the capabilities of the Ranger. If you ever plan on making your UTV road legal, stay away from the Rhino because the rear axle is fully locked without a way to disengage it at all. So you'll end up tearing up tires and the rear differential and CV axles will end up failing. The ranger has a turf mode, or a differential lock disconnect mode so you can run with an open rear differential not only on your lawn but also on pavement which takes the stress off your drive train components.

The Rhino has a bed capacity of 400lbs, the Ranger is 1,000lbs.
The Rhino has a towing capacity of 1200lbs, the Ranger is 2,000lbs (yes 1 ton towing).

The positive on the rhino is it comes with a centrifugal one way wet clutch system in the transmission allowing you to have engine braking in both 2WD and 4WD. No freewheeling down hills like the rangers love to do.

The Rhino also has selectable 2WD, limited slip 4WD, and fully locked 4WD. When you engage 4WD its in 4WD unlike the Ranger where you flip the switch to 4WD and the electronics in the machine decide when you need 4WD and when you don't. You have no control over the 4WD system in the Ranger, you have full control on a Rhino.

I loved my Rhino until I started hauling firewood and that's where I realized it wasn't a big enough machine. I'm looking into a Ranger HD800 here soon. The HD version has engine braking and self leveling rear suspension to keep your ground clearance close to an unloaded machine even when fully loaded. The Rhino doesn't have that feature so when you are pushing your load capacity limits or towing you will lose practically all useful ground clearance and will hang up the underside of the machine a lot.

I like the Yamaha Rhino but after being able to use a neighbor's Polaris Ranger XP800 for a day I really like the Ranger's features, ground clearance, stability, and load ratings a lot better.

The Rhino will destroy your lawn if you try to use it for utility use and make any tight turns because you cannot unlock the rear axle. The Ranger gives you a selectable Turf Mode, locked rear differential, and 4WD mode with the push of a switch.

I'm not sure how the front gearing is in the rangers, but the Rhino had a fully locking front differential, the ranger I think is only limited slip, but everyone who has a ranger that I've talked to says they have never had any problems not having the fully locked front differential on their ranger.

Seems like accessories are more plentiful and a bit cheaper for the Rangers than for the Rhino's too.

I have never been around or operated the Honda Big Red UTV, so I can't even begin to comment on one. I've never even seen anyone where I live that owns one either so they must not be that great of a machine. Where I live its Polaris Country, probably mainly due to the horrible Yamaha Dealer in my area.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
2011 polaris 800 crew review
2011 polaris ranger 800 crew
2011 polaris ranger 800 crew review
2011 polaris ranger crew 800
2011 polaris ranger crew problems
2011 polaris ranger crew reviews
2011 polaris ranger problems
2011 ranger crew 800 review
polaris ranger 800 crew problem
polaris ranger 800 top speed diff lock
polaris ranger crew cab reviews

polaris ranger crew problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.