Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

what gear do you drive in?

This is a discussion on what gear do you drive in? within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; so my 11 800 crew has a 3 way rocker switch & i normally leave it in the middle position- 2 wheel rear drive correct? ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

what gear do you drive in?

so my 11 800 crew has a 3 way rocker switch & i normally leave it in the middle position- 2 wheel rear drive correct? i start to get stuck i switch to 4 wheel - top rocker pushed in. what is bottom rocker for? unlock differential? what gear should i normally drive in? for putting around my property? what gear is "best" for the machine? thanks

tom
busatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #2

For normal use, the switch should be in the bottom position, which is 2wd with the rear end unlocked.

And if your manual is like the one for my buddy's '01 and my '06, it will tell you that LOW is the preferred gear for most driving. Says to use high only on a hard surface without a heavy load.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #3

so what does unlocked differential do?

tom
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #4

Normally, when you turn a corner, one rear wheel (the one on the outside, farthest from the radius point) spins faster than the other, because it has to cover more ground. It can do that when the differential is unlocked.

Also when unlocked, only one rear wheel at a time is propelling the machine.

When the differential is locked, both rear wheels drive the machine at the same rate. So when turning corners, the inside tire has to slip on the ground in order for the outside one to cover the ground it has to cover. The result is unnecessarily torn-up grass or ground, and a strain on the rear end.

The advantage is that both rear wheels propel the machine, so you have twice the traction. But you should only use it when you need it.

You should only lock the differential when you're pulling hard and/or when one rear wheel is slipping - or is likely to slip.

And NEVER have the differential locked on pavement or a similarly hard high-traction surface. The tires can't slip easily on non-icy pavement, so a locked differential puts a heck of a strain on the parts inside the rear end on those conditions.

Hope all that made sense!

Russ
Old 06-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #5

yes i guess, thank u! so rocker switch bottom pushed in, unless i start to slip try 2 wd unless really slip 4 wd? if only 1 wheel spins does it throw steering off at all?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by busatom View Post
if only 1 wheel spins does it throw steering off at all?
Nah. That shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #7

gear selection just depends on what you're doing. I run in high range 99% of the time. if I get in a boggy situation, or if I'm going to be doing alot of low speed driving (under 7 mph) I'll put it in low. or if I'm going to be pulling a trailer at low speeds (although I have pulled a jetski trailer in high range at 35 mph with no problems).

it's about common sense the only thing you're going to hurt using high range when you shouldn't is your belt. it will cause more slippage and can take it out prematurely.

another advantage of using 2wd unlocked all the time is increased tire life. both the front and rear tires will last longer if the rear end isn't locked into trying to go into a strait line.
POS POLARIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
do you have to drive a polaris ranger in low range
how fast can you trailer polaris ranger with hard top

how to drive a polaris ranger

polaris ranger running in 4wheel drive
what do you drive a polaris razr in
what gear do you drive in
what gear should i drive in
what gear should you drive in
what gear to drive a 800 teryx in
when do i put my polaris ranger in low
when should you use high gear on a ranger
which way is the switch for 2 wheels on polaris ranger
Click on a term to search for related topics.