Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

09 700 xp starter issues ???

This is a discussion on 09 700 xp starter issues ??? within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; well, ive discovered my first problem, this may be common, i have no clue as im new to Rangers. Q. after my machine is hot ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #1

09 700 xp starter issues ???

well, ive discovered my first problem, this may be common, i have no clue as im new to Rangers. Q. after my machine is hot (when ive noticed it) i can shut it off, then turn the key back on to start the machine and you hear a whine comming from the rear (like the sylenoid spinning) but nothings catching and the motor doesnt turn over. once you turn the key back (off) then try again it catches and fires right up.. im sure this is obviously starter related ? i mentioned this today while at Polaris and they said to bring it in.. its happend 3-4 times over the weekend. My machine has a full extended warranty, im just curious what this may be.
OtisblkR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #2

Starter Issue

sounds familiar. We have 2 machines here in U.P. Of mich. with same issues. Dealer told us to pull and clean Bendix- -you need to pull cover on RH side of eng and pull flywheel. We still have same issue so I bought new bendix- -haven't installed yet.
PK
pknanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

it was in yesterday for service, in the service notes it says "greesed starter" ive yet to try and get it to duplicate the previous problem so i dont know if what they did fixed anything at all.. well see. If my problem persist i will bring your recomendation to the attention of our local service department.

thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #4

OK

ive posted on this in another thread but this is where it belongs so this is where im putting it.

My machines been at the dealers 3 times now for this issue, last time sat there for a week and they could not get it to duplicate the problem, i brought it home this past weekend, 7 mile ride.. shut her down, came back 15 minutes later and BAM.. no start, i broke out my Android phone video recorder and video'ed it failing, after 4 attempts it caught and fired up, i drove it home and re-recorded the failure again in my driveway..

I took the video to Polaris and showed the service manager.. he seen the evidence, called up his lead tech.. i showed it to him.. his anser was "your not starting it correctly, you need to turn the key longer" I said your looking at a video of the machine not starting.. failing to start after multiple attempts.. your trying to tell me this is acceptable ?? you dont even hear the engine turning over.. just the spinning whine comming from the (bendix/starter/whatever).. I told him i dont buy it that my machine starts perfect when cold, and after its hot i can turn the key over, hold it and the bendix is not enguaging .. bull..

the tech got miffed and walked away, i told the service manager that it was not acceptable. He wants me to give them a copy to forward to polaris for review ?? i said in the mean time the problem is obviously getting worse, what happens when i get stranded in the back of the woods and my machine fails to start ?? He said he doesnt want to see theat happen and please get them a copy.

Tomorrow mornning im taking the ranger for a good long ride and taking my actual video camera, i will video from start to finish exactly whats happening again, and take them my camera, they can plug it in and Rip it..

Deer seasons comming up and this is starting to make me nervous.. Love the Ranger, but i want to trust it going into the woods..
Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

What a crock!

My buddy's 2001 Ranger had starter issues. It would spin without turning over the engine, then it would finally turn the engine and start it. Real pain in the butt.

Then it stopped working. It was the bendix, which is a little gear that is supposed to jump outward when the starter motor spins, and engage teeth on the engine flywheel. When you let go of the key, the bendix should jump back into place.

His bendix was all chewed up and had no teeth left. It was replaced, then got chewed up again ASAP (the replacement was defective), so he had to get the dealer to order a new one. I helped him install the new one when it came.

Later he discovered that his ignition switch was hosed, and the spring to turn the key back from the "start" to "run" position was bad, so he thought that may have contributed to the bendix getting chewed.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #6

I got up this mornning and took the family on a 7 mile ride, Documented the time and hours on my video camera, returned and redocumented time and hours, turned machine off, let it sit 15 seconds, tried to restart.. nothing but the whine from the starter. I kept the key turned over cranking 7-10 seconds, No enguagement. i repeated this three times on video.. finially after 6-7 seconds of the starter crying on the forth attempt it turned over and fired. I took this video to the dealer.

The dealer (service manager viewed the video) and then completely agreed that its not "NORMAL" he made no mention of sending the video to Polaris, he said "your Bendix is obviously not enguaging, I will order you a new one".. i asked him if i may have damaged the starter with the long cranking.. to prove it wasnt normal. He said if the Bendix doesnt fix the problem he will order a starter as well.. There was no arguement from the service manager when i displayed on video (and mentioned on video) the obvious failure and the video documentation and my making the video to prove to the dealer that it was not user error, or impropper operation.

I will post here again when service is performed... Im so glad i made sure this machine had the 5 year warranty when i bought it..
Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #7

Wow, very glad you are covering your bases. Too bad you have to do that to get the dealer to do the right thing!

When my buddy's bendix was replaced (at the dealer) and we pulled it off (at his house), we found that a thrust washer was missing from behind it. The service manual said, "Not the position of the thrust washer," but it wasn't there. So we made sure to put one in when we installed the replacement.

Bottom line, some dealer "mechanics" aren't even competent parts-changers.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #8

Yeah Russ its a total crock.. how much gas and time i have wraped up in proving to the dealer that im not lying.. what a headache.. im not mad at the machine, the Ranger is a "Machine" and things break.. thats what a warranty is for.. Frankly this has me thinking that when the five year is up i may have to trade in for a new one just to buy another warranty..
Old 09-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #9

If you finally get this one ironed out, I imagine you will be able to buy some kind of a warranty on it when the one you have dies. Seems like they sell warranties for all kinds of things these days, like insurance policies.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #10

Good point, Chevy's mailing me stuff left and right for extending the warranty on my truck.. im curious now if something will be offered towards the end of the Rangers warranty.. i cant fathom how much i would be paying if all these little things were comming out of my pocket..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
09 700 ranger starter
09 polaris ranger 700 xp
how to install ranger xp starter
polaris 700 starter. drive problems
polaris ranger 700 flywheel removal
polaris ranger 700 starter
polaris ranger 700 starter problems

polaris ranger starter bendix

polaris ranger starter problems

starter dragging on 09 polaris ranger 700
starter for polaris ranger 700
starter polaris ranger 700
Click on a term to search for related topics.