Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

06 xp dies, or want's to

This is a discussion on 06 xp dies, or want's to within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; When cold starting for the first time of the day (50 degrees) I let it warm up between 15 seconds and 2 mintues. After I ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

06 xp dies, or want's to

When cold starting for the first time of the day (50 degrees) I let it warm up between 15 seconds and 2 mintues. After I put it in forward or reverse and touch the gas pedal it dies, or want's to die. The only buddy of mine that has one of these says that his '08 has done it since it was new. I just can't seem to get my head around this. Is it normal? I end up just giving more pedal that what is needed to move and it lunges ahead. It doesn't act this way after the motor is warm either. Checked the TPS voltage, and it was at .645 instead of the .660 that it is supposed to be, could this be a factor?

If this is normal then fine, but it is driving me crazy with having to hold on to the kids so they don't fly off the seat.

I have had this ranger for three weeks now, it is my first one, 120 hrs.
Texanferever is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Yea, not normal.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #3

Agreed. Not normal. But o have no idea what it might be. check all your fluids something may be low.
garmin220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #4

Just changed fluids when I picked it up.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
Z71

All I know is I deal with several local powersports dealers as well as marine dealers on a regular basis and they say that degraded fuel is the number one maintenance issue they encounter with small engine and power sports equipment today. Today’s gasoline can oftentimes degrade prior to being consumed in many applications. When this fuel starts to break down, it forms varnish, gums, and insoluble debris that are known to clog carburetors, fuel injectors and fuel filters, significantly affecting starting performance and drivability. Small engines and power sports equipment are typically used on an intermittent basis so fuel sits in the tank, lines, carburetors and injectors for extended periods between uses. During this time, it absorbs water, degrades and causes deposit formation. This results in starting and performance issues. Passenger cars and light trucks, on the other hand, are used more frequently, which limits the amount of time the fuel sits unused.

Now I can't say if this is part or all of your problem but if you are using fuel that is stored in gas cans in your garage or shop that has been sitting on the ground or on something in contact with the ground then I would be suspecting it might be contributing this issue by absorbing moisture. Since you just got the machine its very possible its been sitting with fuel in it for some time. It can sometimes be extremely hard to clean these systems and people tend to turn to fuel additives as a solution but many that are found on the shelves of discount stores are weak at fixing this problem in small engines, most are designed for automotive use and require up to 20 gallons of fuel to be run thru the system to see any results which is not realistic with most small engines.

Also many owners just don't care or refuse to believe fuels can cause this that they tend to ignore the issue till the machine won't run.

Last edited by Z71; 02-09-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: typo
Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #6

Here in Michigan, we have a tendency to get a little moisture in our lower grade regular gasoline, off and on. And like Z71 said it causes moisture and varnish, which does cause problems. Had it happen to mine before. I added a additive like some kind of dry gas and jumped up to a higher octane for a while, and it cleared up. Very well could be your problem. Takes a little while to varnish up on you, but definitely could be moisture . Seems when the price of gasoline goes up and down all time, it seems to have more moisture in it?? For some reason. Just an idea. Good Luck.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #7

I thought about the varnish gumming up the fuel, lines, ect. I put in a product called Seafoam. I have had good results with this product in the past, so we will see if it corrects itself. However, I suppose the voltage to the TPS is close enough to not worry about it?

The problem with treating the tank is that these things don't use much fuel. Would it be a bad idea to take the injectors out and soak them in a carb cleaner. May need to spray B-12 on the intake butterfly also.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Z71

I was careful not to blame ethanol because its a very political charged issue but it can be a problem in small engines.

I have seen a label on all BP gas pumps in Wisconsin warning owners of small engines and marine equipment to not use ethanol blended fuels and that they should use ONLY premium as that does not contain ethanol in Wisconsin at least. May not be true in all states and many states do not have any laws the mandate the fuel pumps indicate if the fuel has ethanol in it. Michigan, I have not seen such a label.

The following piston engine applications should not use ethanol blended gasoline:
  • Any 2 cycle engine used in tools, watercraft, snowmobiles, etc., or small 4 cycle engines.
  • Any engines used in an emergency stationary engine application like a generator or a pump, especially in a humid climate.
  • All watercraft. Ethanol blended gasoline should never be used in a marine environment.
  • Antique and classic cars and classic motorcycles.
  • All aircraft.

Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

Yea your right on the ethanol issue. Just sometimes seems to be an issue, like I said when, prices flex up and down. I try to stay with major companies when buying my gas if possible. Not accusing anyone, but seems to happen. We all need good ole' petro to run these rigs. We had a small station shut down (temporary) because of ground water leaking in through the tanks. They got fixed, but I got moisture from it. They are OK now though.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
hoy

SeaFoam

SeaFoam is good stuff. At $60 a gallon it's expensive but it works, so I use it regularly. It cleans injectors, lubes the fuel pump/system, removes condensation in the fuel, disolves varnish, removes carbon build up on the valves, stabilizes fuel and when added to the oil it lubes the valve seals. Even if it doesn't fix your problem it will make your engine run better. Good luck.
hoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
2005 polaris ranger gets hot and dies, will not st
2008 polaris ranger 700 when cold stalls when you accelerate

can you pour tectron in motorcycle carbs

fuel system cleaner for polaris ranger

polaris ranger 09 xp takes numerous times to start

polaris ranger 700 injectors

polaris ranger 700 start but won't take fuel

polaris ranger crew press gas pedal and it wants to die

polaris ranger dies when given gas

polaris ranger gets hot and dies

polaris ranger small engine gets warm and dies

polaris ranger xp 700 lunges
Click on a term to search for related topics.