Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Polaris ranger 700 issues!!! Need help

This is a discussion on Polaris ranger 700 issues!!! Need help within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; ok i am VERY new to this forum thing. i just purchased a 2006 ranger 700 xp. first things it wont hold a charge i ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #1

Exclamation Polaris ranger 700 issues!!! Need help

ok i am VERY new to this forum thing. i just purchased a 2006 ranger 700 xp. first things it wont hold a charge i have burned through 2 batteries in 2 days. i have read several posts but i do not understand what they are talking about. i dont know anything about electrical issues. if i could see pictures of what to check i could run some tests. the second issue is i get a code 25. i have cleaned the connectors by the transmission but no fix. i am 25 and this is the first toy i have ever owned and i dont have money to take it to the shop, so any advice given will be a huge help
thanks
garywatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywatkins View Post
i have burned through 2 batteries in 2 days.
What does that mean? We can't help you unless we understand your problem.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #3

Your probably gonna have to learn to Chase and test wires. I would bet its either a ground or possibly a bad ignition switch.
garmin220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #4

i mean that i have used 2 fully charged batteries ( one each night) that have both ran dead over night with the ignition off. i dont have any extras on it(winch extra lights stereo.) last nigt i took a tester, the little screwdriver you clip to a ground and touch wires to see if they have power. and i found a 3 wire group right next to the block that the power wire and ground connect to, from what i saw it looks like they run to the ECM ( BRAIN BOX ON THE LEFT UNDER THE HOOD) and from there it it feeds power to the speedo and ignition. neither one is on unless ignition is turned, but they still have power running to them.

i hope that was understandable, sorry if it wasnt thank you for your quick replies, and any idea on code 25
Old 02-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

First thing I would do is disconnect one of the battery leads. I would use the ground then touch it back to its post. If you get a good spark that tells you that you have a pretty good parasitic draw. If not you have a battery issue. To kill the battery overnight it would need to be a fair amp draw. Once you determine that it will be easier to pick a direction. I posted a sevice manual not to long ago in a thread titled service manual. I would link it but Im not on the home confuser. In that manual you will find the blink codes.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #6

ok i disconnected the neg cable and touched it to the neg post and it gave a little spark not much, but i have tried two different new batteries
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

Be careful messing with electrical problems when you're not sure about it! Read the other posts about the guy owning a pile of 2011 ashes. "Tuffy" on this forum.
vegastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #8

A very small spark indicates a very small load. The battery has a small drain on it from the ECM all of the time. Hmmm.... The batteries are new? Any chance they're bad? It's a very off chance but it's happened more than once. If you were to charge them and let them sit would they be dead in the morning? I know it's left field but nothing else really comes to mind. A load test would tell you directly if they're good batteries.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #9

Any light switches left on, ignition key left in the ignition and turned on? The ECM will draw a very minimal amount of power and would eventually kill the battery after quite a few weeks of sitting. Pulling the battery cable off and then touching it to the battery terminal and throwing a few sparks leads me to believe something has been left turned on that is direct connected to the battery. Are there any aftermarket add ons at all if so disconnect all of them and then connect them one at a time to the battery and when one of them throws sparks as you connect the terminals to the battery you'll know the culprit. If you know for sure you don't have any sort of accessories connected. Check your battery terminals, and the connections on the starter and the starter solenoid and make sure they are clean and tight. Any looseness, or corrosion will cause a "dead" battery or act like its dead but actually not and just a connection problem. Trace all of your wiring and make sure there aren't any bare spots that would be contacting metal causing a short and draining the battery. yes its a very long process but throwing money at it isn't going to fix the problem, a little bit of digging around will get you a lot farther, trust me I know I'm on a tight budget myself so any little thing I can find out on a vehicle myself just saves me money, plus you also learn your machine more in the process.

Following are a few Polaris Ranger codes. Code 25 just sounds odd but is kind of explained.

here are your polaris ranger codes.
although the code 25 is a transmission code check the sensor for the speedo and the tranny.

21 Loss of Synchronization
22 TPS Circuit: Open and Short To Ground
22 TPS Circuit: Short To Battery
23 RAM Error: Defective ECU
25 Transmission Input - Invalid Gear
26 Vehicle Speed Sensor - Implausible
41 Air Temp Sensor: Open or Short Circuit to Sensor Voltage (ECU)
41 Air Temp Sensor: Short Circuit to Ground
42 Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Short To Ground
42 Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Open or Short to Battery
45 Barometric Pressure Sensor: Circuit Low Input
46 Barometric Pressure Sensor: Circuit High Input
51 Injector 1: Open Load
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Ground
51 Injector 1: Short Circuit to Battery
52 Injector 2: Open Load
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Ground
52 Injector 2: Short Circuit to Battery
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Open Load
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Short Circuit to Ground
54 Engine Temperature Lamp: Short Circuit to Battery
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Open Load
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit to Ground
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit To Battery
56 Pump Relay Open Load
56 Pump Relay Short Circuit to Ground
56 Pump Relay Short Circuit to Battery
58 Cooling Fan: Open Load
58 Cooling Fan: Short Circuit to Ground
58 Cooling Fan: Short Circuit to Battery
61 End of Diagnostic

Last edited by wildbill23c; 02-14-2012 at 11:38 PM.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #10

ok so i traced a few wires and cleaned the contacts. i exchanged both batteries with new ones and will try them out today, i am going to take off the tranny sensor and clean it and see if any of that fixes it. thank you all for the advice i will keep you posted

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
2008 ranger 700 problems
polaris ranger 700 code 21
polaris ranger 700 fault codes

polaris ranger 700 problems

polaris ranger code 21
polaris ranger trouble codes
polaris ranger xp 700 problems
polaris trouble shoot codes
polaris xp 700 ranger issues
polaris700xp 54 code
trouble shooting the polaris ranger
what is a synchronization fault code mean on a 2006 polaris ranger 700 xp mean
Click on a term to search for related topics.