Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Extended warranty a must with Polaris

This is a discussion on Extended warranty a must with Polaris within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; The extended warranty is a bargain if you plan on buying a Polaris. The money spent will save you thousands in repairs. The factory 6 ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Angry Extended warranty a must with Polaris

The extended warranty is a bargain if you plan on buying a Polaris. The money spent will save you thousands in repairs. The factory 6 month warranty is not long enough to determine how many problems you are going to end up with. Engine and wiring harness defects are a budget killer. Personally I am done buying from Polaris, they are terrible on standing behind their poor workmanship and defective parts.
jclieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #2

I must differ with you on that jclieb... here is my reasoning. For the common riding conditions I find enjoyable, I am perfectly fine enjoying my Ranger Razr as is. I do not even have an after market skid underneath. Should I~Yah? Maybe... mechanically? My rig has delivered nothing other than out-standing performance and, well...gee-whiz kids? Fun!

I often refer to my lil buggy as my Steve McQueen off-road baja machine! The poor mans mini Baja racer, the race I'll never be able to go on in real life. As I am older, while aboard my machine, I can act-out tearing out across the vast dessert barely reaching 40 to 50mph and be a happy on top of the world dessert racer only in my mind. I still get to apply my highspeed driving skills learned from many years ago, only on pavement and growing up driving/riding anything on wheels (even hoofs) around the farm.

If you wish to have a machine that surpasses factory specs, then by all means go to a customizer and have one built JUST for YOU according to you're desired perfect fantasy racer then and only then you can find true happiness!

Possibly though? You might wish to purchase an extended warranty just in case any possible defects or engine hiccups occur, as you might be ripped off due to poor workmanship and defective parts...

Be advised though, after age 38, your warranty on the body seems to go asunder and the parts seem to become defective, a real budget killer...

<<<*>>>
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #3

Biggest thing to find is a dealer that gives a damn. My Yamaha dealer was there 100% for the sale until you walk out the door then you become just another person.

An extended warranty most likely won't cover anything that actually goes wrong as there's always going to be some sort of excuse as to why that broken part isn't covered. Save the money and buy parts to protect your investment, i.e. skid plates, nerf bars, etc.

Any vehicle will have its issues once you start using it more and more you'll find them. Nothing is perfect. Buying a toy means be prepared to fix stuff. If you can't afford that don't buy it. New machine or not. Think of ways to fix the problem yourself before running like a little baby to the dealer for every little thing. Even accessories can often times be modified to fit any UTV not just one particular brand. So think for yourself, don't pay your dealer to do the thinking for you. Most issues I see on here makes me think how bad is the real problem, as people tend to get mad and over react and make the problem seem worse than it really is. The heat issue is one of the funniest ones, you're sitting on top of the engine duh its going to get hot. My Yamaha Rhino got hot in the summer, but felt great in the winter. Doesn't matter which vehicle it is they get hot. Just something people find to whine and cry about. Yep the seat gets hot, yep the seat belt buckles get hot, etc, etc. My Rhino had the same problem I got over it. My steering wheel, seat belts, seats, etc get hot in my truck too.

If its going to break due to a factory defect its going to break within the first month or 2 of ownership. Anything after that is most likely the cause of the operator whether they want to admit it or not.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #4

Why the extended warranty?

Wiring harnesses and engine top ends are expensive even if you do your own maintenance. When you have a new machine that you have owned less than a year and it needs these type of repairs we are talking $1000's of dollars, it makes $500 wishful thinking. I am a farmer and always try to do my own maintenance. My machines aren't beat but they are used for hauling feed and for convenient transportation. I have owned a Yamaha ATV, a John Deer Gator, Artic Cat ATV, Artic Cat Prowler, and now a 2011Ranger 800XP. So far the Ranger is the worst as far as big problems and cost of repair. The machine is only 2 months out of warranty and has top end problems. Just read the complaints about wiring harnesses, engine cut outs, and cam shafts wearng away in months and you will start to understand the cost of just parts on these major flaws. Of all the machines I've owned the 86 Yamaha still runs great with very few and minor problems through 20 plus years of use. The 1997 Gator engine has a lawn mower engine and shouldn't be in an UTV, the 2004 Artic Cat has a speedometer gearbox bushing seize breaking of the end of the crankshaft that trashed the main bearings, the 2007 Artic Cat prowler has rear axle bearing failure that trashed the hubs and drive shafts and know this Ranger takes the cake. I love the Ranger for size and function but the factory service backing and defects in parts and workmanship suck. The extended service warranty is now only wishful thinking. When you pay as much for one of these machines as a new car is it too much to ask to have it run problem free for a year?
jclieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #5

JClieb-

Then I stand corrected... JC. I am sorry you have experienced these issues with not only the Polaris, but other brands as well.

I only use my unit for play. During hunting season it is used to patrol my mtn property. Just yesterday I bailed mine out the dealership for a miserly 400 and something dollars. Inspecting the whole machine out plus full servicing oil change. I just about choked up my ham and eggs! With only 63 hours they put in a new drive belt, the old one looked pretty good to me, not cracked but used some.

I lost my part-time job 8 months ago and at my age, I know few will hire me. Unless it be a midnight position at a stop-n-rob. Tell you the truth I am somewhat smitten over the Yamaha TW200 trail bike. I believe after spending a couple of hours on a TW, it takes me back to simpler times when motorcycles were not complicated with catalic converters computers and such. The TW is the last of the mohicans. Carbureted simple Simon air cooled. Reminds me of an updated Honda 90/110 from years ago.

I could use the little bike to ride to the market, grab a burger, even head-off to the greasy spoon were my favorite waitress scratches my bald head~calls me Honey! Money is only so much and goes so far. I have often thought of selling my Rzr, and now I'm rethinking should I?

And yes, I own a perfectly wonderful Wrangler Jeep. With all the amenities and comforts of home. The wife's favorite mode of off-road transportation.

Here in our Valley, San Joaquin Farms is experiencing horrid losses due to sprinkler crop and equipment theft. Years ago I tried creating a nighttime low level interdiction and Surveillance patrol but only managed to run afoul of every regulator this side of the Mississippi. The Farm Bureau loved it! But? That was about all who did...

Anyway-good post.

<<<

Last edited by Roscoe; 05-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclieb View Post
Wiring harnesses and engine top ends are expensive even if you do your own maintenance. When you have a new machine that you have owned less than a year and it needs these type of repairs we are talking $1000's of dollars, it makes $500 wishful thinking. I am a farmer and always try to do my own maintenance. My machines aren't beat but they are used for hauling feed and for convenient transportation. I have owned a Yamaha ATV, a John Deer Gator, Artic Cat ATV, Artic Cat Prowler, and now a 2011Ranger 800XP. So far the Ranger is the worst as far as big problems and cost of repair. The machine is only 2 months out of warranty and has top end problems. Just read the complaints about wiring harnesses, engine cut outs, and cam shafts wearng away in months and you will start to understand the cost of just parts on these major flaws. Of all the machines I've owned the 86 Yamaha still runs great with very few and minor problems through 20 plus years of use. The 1997 Gator engine has a lawn mower engine and shouldn't be in an UTV, the 2004 Artic Cat has a speedometer gearbox bushing seize breaking of the end of the crankshaft that trashed the main bearings, the 2007 Artic Cat prowler has rear axle bearing failure that trashed the hubs and drive shafts and know this Ranger takes the cake. I love the Ranger for size and function but the factory service backing and defects in parts and workmanship suck. The extended service warranty is now only wishful thinking. When you pay as much for one of these machines as a new car is it too much to ask to have it run problem free for a year?
Why are wiring harnesses being replaced on a new machine, that would be a better question to ask I would think LOL. I've read a lot of the complaints on here, and many of them actually are related to how the machine is used and treated whether the owner/operator wants to admit it or not. Wiring harnesses may be related sometimes to being left out in the elements, mistreatment, rodents.

I'm not saying that's what's going on with your machine, but a lot of machines I've worked on in the past few months have been complete lack of care and huge amounts of abuse by the owner. Its horrible to see $1k+ repair bills regardless though.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #7

With that many problems on that many different machines, he's either pretty hard on his equipment, or the most unlucky person I've ever heard of.

I've had 5 ATV/UTV's in my lifetime, and all of them only cost me money for general maintenance fee's. Anything major that happened was always directly related to the operator doing something wrong.
MortisFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #8

I must admit this is my third Polaris machine since 2003, none have ever cost me anything other than routine maintenance as far as I can recall.

My Rzr had its adjustable deely-thang-ah-mah-bob break underneath the steering wheel, My dealer went out of their way getting that fixed 40 minutes prior to shutting the store down for the day. They improvised, adapted and over-came making ot possible to head out to the boonies with my son, whom had not visited in over 7 years!

Covered under warranty.

<<<
Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #9

I own a 2010 Polaris Ranger and it has been problem free. Of course it stays inside my storage building when not in use. I have

used it around my farm and it has been a great asset. I have been rough with it from time to time, pulling small trees to the burn

pile, and loading it down with chainsaws, landscape rock and mulch. A very durable and tough unit. It is unfortunate that

a small amount of owners have had problems.
blind ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #10

my 09 is a BEAST... ive posted many times on this site how brutal i am on this machine 09 700xp AND IT KEEP TRUCKING, I HAD TO WORK OUT SOME KINKS WHEN SHE WAS FIRST PURCHASED BUT NOW IM VERY PLEASED.. mine goes to the ORV park, hunting g, hauling, cruising.. you name it.. we love ours !
OtisblkR1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
polaris extended warranties

polaris extended warranty

polaris extended warranty coverage
polaris extended warranty reviews
polaris ranger ext
polaris ranger extended warranty

polaris ranger warranty

polaris rzr extended warranty
polaris utv warranty
polaris warranty extended warranty
protectmypolaris.com
warenty for 2000 ranger
Click on a term to search for related topics.