Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Why Rangers have so many mechanical problems?

This is a discussion on Why Rangers have so many mechanical problems? within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; Rangers have good specs, but why so many mechanical problems? Do you correlate this with only 6 months warranty?...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Rod

Why Rangers have so many mechanical problems?

Rangers have good specs, but why so many mechanical problems? Do you correlate this with only 6 months warranty?

Last edited by Rod; 09-30-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Best title
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #2

Polaris has cheapened up the quality, and they never really were great at design. Thne they overcomplicated them and went too big with the engines and that heat started cooking people and melting things (goes back to poor design).
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #3

People mostly only post when they have had problems.

I was a Suzuki DRZ400 owner for 4 years and on the ThumperTalk forum there were similar posts of problems, yet I never had a single issue.

I'm hoping it's the same here. My 2013 Ranger 900 SP appears to be an awesome machine to me so far.
CO69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

Some problems you will dig into and find that its more operator error, or over-exaggeration by the owner than an actual problem, as I found on my Yamaha Rhino. Forums generally are full of negative posts about every little problem, and most never close their thread in the forum with a solution so its left as if there are thousands of problems, rather than solutions to any of them. People complain about problems in hopes that others will cater to their pitty often times. Most issues if the owner has any common sense and does their own research can fix most of those issues pretty easily and cheap. I solved most of the heat problems with my UTV by adding insulation, and a small 12V fan to blow the air back out from under the seat worked just fine and was like a $20 fix. A little bit of common sense and mechanical no how if you purchase any vehicle regardless of it being an ATV/UTV, a car, truck, etc. will get you a long ways and save tons of money. People just tend to be very lazy and want to blame others for every little thing. I've found doing all the small engine work I do, that people who have money would rather blame others for their own laziness rather than take the time and diagnose and fix the problem themselves, which I guess when you are in the engine repair business it gets you tons of extra easy money fixing lazy peoples' problems. HAHA!!!
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #5

Lightbulb

So what about the guys who buy Polaris products and flop down thousands of dollars in cash expecting that a new machine should not have mechanical problems or heat issues. The fact is most folks by Rangers for property maintenance, hunting, driving the kids around the property or letting the spouse drive it down to the road to fetch the mail.

Most people do not drive them like a 18 year old kid driving a RZR like he just stole it from the dealer. They take good care of it by having it serviced and not abusing it, but when a company makes a product and knowingly sells to the public, and the product has hundreds of documented cases of heat related problems it looks like the common sense would be on the company to fix the issues before selling the product. I do all my on maintenance or as much as I can and will continue to do so, but it is not my responsibility to re-engineer my $11,000 machine because Polaris didn't have the common sense or was to lazy to do it.

I guess everyone who buys an extended warranty is Lazy as well since they don't want to work on the machine themselves.
Samclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

You do realize you are sitting on top of the engine right? Engines produce heat during operation and when operating in conditions that you are speaking of (very slow moving) where does the heat go? It stays under the vehicle's seats in the engine area thus creating a "Heat" issue. Drive the vehicle around at higher speeds and the problem goes away. I had a 2011 Yamaha Rhino and guess what it had heat issues too, they all do doesn't matter which brand you buy. I agree, yes $11k for a machine you would think it would be trouble free, but same goes for a $30k car as well, they're never going to be completely trouble free you are buying a computer on wheels these days things are going to go wrong, and unfortunately the manufacturers don't cover most of the issues under any sort of warranty leaving the customer to figure out a fix.

Buying an extended warranty is on you, if you want to shell out extra money to still not have any problems fixable under that warranty so be it. If you feel you want to spend the extra money fine, but its not going to fix the heat issues or electrical issues these machines seem to have. If you buy a machine and expect it to magically fix itself it won't happen, and the warranties don't fix it either. I had an extended warranty on my Yamaha Rhino and guess what it didn't fix any problems it had after the original warranty expired, and the dealer refused to work on it anyhow so the warranty was pointless.

The best thing you can do is find a reliable dealer before you make a purchase, I made the mistake going with a Yamaha dealer 30 miles away so I ended up having to fix my own machine when a factory problem arose simply because my dealer was a rip-off, which is part of the reason I no longer will own a Yamaha.

I'm not saying everyone is lazy, but seriously if you buy a machine you probably should know a little bit about it service wise before running to a shop every-time something seems wrong. Shops are there to make money and squeeze every penny out of you they can. Get to know your machine so you know exactly what's wrong with it before you take it in, as most shops are going to say you need this, that and the other, then still not fix the original problem.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

The problem is that the manufactures, and some dealers assume that when you load it up to bring it home you are automatically going to trash it. I have seen hundreds of post on several forums that relate to heat issues on the 800 Rangers, and a few on the 500 rangers, so when you take it back to the dealer they refuse to fix / repair it because the dealer finds dirt or mud under the hood, or seat and quickly denies a warranty claim because they automaticly assume it must have been the wet or muddy road the owner drove down that caused the mechanical failure. Now I would be a fool not to think that people don't absolutely trash their machines and cause a lot of the issues by neglecting to maintain or service the machines properly, but what happens is the dealers hate doing warranty work because the pay for such work from Polaris is way less than what the dealer can get from a guy who just came in off the street willing to pay normal shop rates. So the easiest thing for the dealer to do is call Polaris and tell them the problem is owner neglect so Polaris denies the warranty claim

Most dealers know Polaris has heat issues on the Rangers, heck Polaris even knows they have heat issues, if not why do you think Polaris re-designed the new Ranger 900 to move the engine back under the dump bed. I just don't understand why an owner should be considered lazy if they can't come up with an engineering solution to fix the manufactures poor design. I have a 2012 Ranger 500 that I bought in May, and have had zero issues with it.

I took the seat off when I first got it home and covered the bottom with heat reflective material, and warped the exhaust with header wrap to be pro active on trying to keep the heat from damaging the seat. Why? because I read post after post from people who bought new Rangers and found out quick that the heat from the engine or exhaust was melting the plastic under the seat. This should be a common sense issue on Polaris part, they should step up and recall the Rangers and FIX the poor design issues that causes the seat to melt. A owner buy's a Ranger to enjoy it, not to re-design it, and yes you are correct all manufactures have there share of problems, however you can't consider someone to be lazy if they don't take the initative to solve a design flaw.
Samclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

The rep told me they are not made for people that use them everyday (like work) I guess they are made forweekend gardening. Mine is in the shop all the time. The back lot of the dealership looks like a grave yard for Polaris they are everywhere. Should have just bought another Honda
2kmelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samclow View Post
The problem is that the manufactures, and some dealers assume that when you load it up to bring it home you are automatically going to trash it. I have seen hundreds of post on several forums that relate to heat issues on the 800 Rangers, and a few on the 500 rangers, so when you take it back to the dealer they refuse to fix / repair it because the dealer finds dirt or mud under the hood, or seat and quickly denies a warranty claim because they automaticly assume it must have been the wet or muddy road the owner drove down that caused the mechanical failure. Now I would be a fool not to think that people don't absolutely trash their machines and cause a lot of the issues by neglecting to maintain or service the machines properly, but what happens is the dealers hate doing warranty work because the pay for such work from Polaris is way less than what the dealer can get from a guy who just came in off the street willing to pay normal shop rates. So the easiest thing for the dealer to do is call Polaris and tell them the problem is owner neglect so Polaris denies the warranty claim

Most dealers know Polaris has heat issues on the Rangers, heck Polaris even knows they have heat issues, if not why do you think Polaris re-designed the new Ranger 900 to move the engine back under the dump bed. I just don't understand why an owner should be considered lazy if they can't come up with an engineering solution to fix the manufactures poor design. I have a 2012 Ranger 500 that I bought in May, and have had zero issues with it.

I took the seat off when I first got it home and covered the bottom with heat reflective material, and warped the exhaust with header wrap to be pro active on trying to keep the heat from damaging the seat. Why? because I read post after post from people who bought new Rangers and found out quick that the heat from the engine or exhaust was melting the plastic under the seat. This should be a common sense issue on Polaris part, they should step up and recall the Rangers and FIX the poor design issues that causes the seat to melt. A owner buy's a Ranger to enjoy it, not to re-design it, and yes you are correct all manufactures have there share of problems, however you can't consider someone to be lazy if they don't take the initative to solve a design flaw.
I would sure look at solving the flaw myself before paying a dealer outrageous amounts of money to do nothing about it.

I just hope the 900's turn out to be better than the 800's were as far as the "heat issue".

I have 2 ATV's I'm working on right now that the owner bought 4 years ago, used them 4 times and they have been sitting on a trailer for 2-1/2 years and never been started, one of them was wrecked and half ass put back together, the other one has double the miles on it, and both have never even been serviced. I spent a couple weeks digging through them and cleaning them up, rebuilding the carburetors, and changing what I think was supposed to be engine oil at one time. Hell people seem to not even take care of the cars so I don't see them doing much more on their offroad vehicles either. I'm not saying everyone does this, but all the engine repair I've seen is from neglect and abuse, not related to a defect in the product.

I do know that my Yamaha Grizzly's CDI was trash in it from the beginning and the dealer kept telling me it was because of the design it would get hot and shut down, well they're still built the same way 4 years later. The Yamaha Rhino's have horrible heat issues too, not too much of a problem in the winter but in the summer if you are going slow you will get pretty nice and warm sitting on top of the engine. After 2 Yamaha ATV's I'll never go back to them again, my closest dealer is a joke, liars, thieves, and rip you off big time. I think when I get the funds to do so I'll go with a Polaris, at least my local Polaris Dealer is honest and seems to know what they're doing.

I think a lot of problems and resolutions are based on the dealer itself. Some are great, while others make you want to run out the door and never come back as was the case with my yamaha dealer. I've noticed too that the more electronics put on these machines regardless of what brand the number of problems starts multiplying very quickly and it seems that when one issue starts it snowballs and causes multiple problems at the same time. Whatever happened to mechanical systems, at least a person could actually work on those without having to need a huge shop full of tools and computer equipment.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

Frankly, my Ranger was built cheaper than Sh*@ in hope that I'd buy it based upon the price - which I did. We, me, us, are trained to compare "quality" with what we expect from the auto industry, which exceeds the rec vehicle industry by light years. Imagine building and trying to sell a pickup truck that had so freakin' many heat problems that it was totally uncomfortable to drive. NO ONE WOULD BUY IT. Imagine Ford trying to sell an F150 that blew so much heat at the passengers that you had to buy a reaking fan to blow the hot air out of the truck. I mean it is ludicrous to think Polaris can actually get away with this rip off.

My Ranger, just like all snowmobiles,is pure JUNK! Pieces of chrap that you'd better have an in with a good repair shop before you ever buy one... But, then all that is out there is junk because we are all mostly willing to put up with junk inorder to keep the price down. It's the Walmart syndrome
all over again...
dumolebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
how to get e-mail addresss for polaris if you are having problems with brand new ranger
polaris ranger 800 electrical problems
polaris ranger 900 warranty
polaris ranger forum problems
polaris ranger issues

polaris ranger problems

polaris ranger troubleshooting
polaris ranger vs kawasaki teryx
polaris utv problems
prowler vs ranger
what troubles has polaris ranger had
yamaha rhino vs polaris ranger
Click on a term to search for related topics.