Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Considering A Ranger XP or a Can-Am Commander

This is a discussion on Considering A Ranger XP or a Can-Am Commander within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; First post on this site! I am seriously considering a Side-By-Side. I have friends who have a Ranger XP and have also heard some good ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Considering A Ranger XP or a Can-Am Commander

First post on this site!

I am seriously considering a Side-By-Side.

I have friends who have a Ranger XP and have also heard some good things about the Commander 1000 and 800.

My main use will be for general UTV'ing with a heavy emphasis on hunting in here in Colorado. I am not much interested in the RZR as it looks way too cramped for 2 guys, heavy clothes and a bunch of gear and i have plenty of ATV's and Motorcycles should i want to get on the 50" max trails.

I know the Ranger is a proven machine and have seen them go through some amazing stuff. There are more accessories than you can imagine which is nice.

Anyone out there have both machines and like to do a quick compare/contrast

I haven't purchased and am looking to do after first of the year.

Thanks in advance!
Shepardsonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

I just sold my Kubota and purchased the 2013 Ranger XP900 LE, love it for work and play. JH
micpib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

For no more than the Can-AM commander is, actually just Can-Am's version of the Polaris RZRs. They aren't meant for work, they are meant to go fast and that's about it. Not to mention the Can-Am's regardless of what you buy are way overpriced. I personally like the features and looks of the new Ranger XP900's.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #4

Cost of the Can Am parts price of machine. I like my 800 Ranger for the ride and power. You can buy some nice extras with the money saved.
PigsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

My 2011 Commander let me down more than once (ruined the hunts) on hunting trips, so I bought a Ranger. The Commander is a lot more fun to ride, but with 1400 miles on the Commander and only 200 on the Ranger I think that for hunting the Ranger will turn out to be the better hunting rig. It will be after next years Moose and Caribou hunts before I will be able to give a more comprehensive comparison. By the way, the Commander is for sale.
mobyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #6

I would go with the polaris, I am not very happy with my commander. The 4x4 sucks, it is hot to ride in and I have already replaced the front differential due to failure(Moab utv rally).
dehavilland6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #7

I've got a Ranger 800, my dad has a John Deere XUV 825 diesel, my brother in law has a John Deere RSX 850. All 3 so far have been great, no problems with any of them, all seem built really well. There are parts I like the JD better than the Polaris, but other features I like the Ranger better. I would only consider a Polaris or JD, no other brand can compete in my opinion.
MortisFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortisFK View Post
I've got a Ranger 800, my dad has a John Deere XUV 825 diesel, my brother in law has a John Deere RSX 850. All 3 so far have been great, no problems with any of them, all seem built really well. There are parts I like the JD better than the Polaris, but other features I like the Ranger better. I would only consider a Polaris or JD, no other brand can compete in my opinion.
What do you have opinion wise with the JD XUV for trails for hunting and hauling firewood? Any sort of experience in those uses? I'm leaning towards the Ranger because they are far more popular for utility, hunting, and hauling that I do.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #9

As others know I have had Mules for over 20 years.
I looked real hard at the Can-Am Commander before I bought my Ranger. The Commander felt cramped and much harder to get in and out of compared to the Ranger. The new 900 has lots of leg room and has a 1" lower seat height. It really feels like your riding in a pickup while driving it.
I bought a 900LE Ranger about a month ago. It has so MUCH torque at low RPM's. I would think in CO it would be the Cat's A$$ for getting up and down steep inclines. It is very little noise inside the cab with NO and I mean NO rattles anywhere on the machine. I have put well over 1000 lbs in the back bed with NO problems. The bed dividers work great when putting anything from a 2x4 up to a 2x10 to divide up the bed and keep items from rolling around.
The only wish I have with this animal is that I wish Polaris would have come out with it sooner. But, then I look at it this way. They really have worked all the bugs out of it before they released it to the public.
I still from time to time forget to put my foot on the brake so it will start. My brain farts, not the machine. LOL's
BlueWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

I love my new '13 Ranger 800XP !!!! I climes the step hills like a mountain goat & handles bumps lick a cadillac. I really like that you can go from turf mode to all-wheel drive with out having to stop. The 800 makes you push the break as well to start it up, I do like that safety feature.
RAMBO75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page
can am commander or polaris ranger

can am commander problems

can am commander vs polaris ranger

can am commander vs polaris ranger 800

commander vs ranger

commander vs ranger xp
compare can am commander and polaris ranger
polaris ranger 900 vs can am commander 1000
polaris ranger or can am commander

polaris ranger vs can am commander

polaris ranger xp 900 vs can am commander

ranger vs commander

Click on a term to search for related topics.