Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Battery and charging question

This is a discussion on Battery and charging question within the Full Size Ranger Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; Hi, 2007 4x4 XP700 Ranger....I bought this rig used and the guy has a single battery installed. Is the current charging system able to keep ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #1

Battery and charging question

Hi,

2007 4x4 XP700 Ranger....I bought this rig used and the guy has a single battery installed. Is the current charging system able to keep up if I were to add a second similiar battery to the ranger?

The original owner installed 4 nice speakers and amp (no sub), along with the added draw from me upgrading to HID's to complement the rollbar mounted lights already there, I worry about battery voltage if I were to run the radio for a bit while we stop somewhere.

Thanks
ILOVEBEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #2

I added a second battery on my 07 and 2010 in tandem without an isolator on the advise of one or the service guys at the dealership, never had a problem . As long as they are both new you shouldn't experience any problems . Or you could just install a switch to turn one off when not needed. I think both units had an extra space for another battery.

Last edited by jjluv; 12-08-2012 at 11:20 PM.
jjluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

The current charging system would handle both batteries however the system should be installed properly, and the auxilliary lights and stereo, and winch and anything else you add should be added to the 2nd battery and be sure to install a battery isolator so that if you run your accessories with the machine shut off you don't drain your starting battery. The isolators are pretty cheap I've seen them for around $100. If you have the money to own an atv then you probably should have the money to do modification jobs correctly the first time. I know if you are at an idle the charging system wouldn't keep up with both batteries being connected all the time, having the battery isolator it will always charge you cranking/starting battery first, then it will automatically switch and charge your auxillary battery as needed.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #4

Great advice, thank you. I will look into the isolator setup. I just wanted to make sure a second battery did not tax the OEM alternator. Is there a particular isolator you guys recommend?

Thanks for the help

Joe
ILOVEBEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #5

I had this in my Jeep and it worked just fine for running auxiliary lights and compressors.

Lynx/120 Amp battery isolator (08771) | Battery Isolator | AutoZone.com This one is a 120amp and for a utility machine would be plenty I would think. I'm not that good with electrical stuff but you should be able to get a smaller amp rated version as well and be ok as this just controls the charging system charging the batteries. The amp rating I believe has to deal with the output of the alternator, generator, or however the batteries are charged. All you need to do is provide the wiring to connect everything which try to use the heaviest gauge wiring you can to avoid overheating anything especially if you plan on having any heavy current loads from the auxiliary battery.

Last edited by wildbill23c; 12-09-2012 at 03:39 PM.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

You could get a gell bat or AGM bat n might not have an issue with 2 batteries
Trickle charge = full charge
Mudnman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion

Search tags for this page

2007 polaris ranger xp 700 4x4 will not charge

2007 polaris700 alt output
2007 ranger 700 xp how does it charge
2010 polaris ranger 500 not charging

2012 polaris ranger alternator

2012 polaris ranger battery upgrade
700 ranger not chargen
how long does the battery last on a polaris ev ranger
lynx/120 amp battery isolator
polaris ranger alternator output

polaris ranger charging system

polaris ranger ev agm battery
Click on a term to search for related topics.