Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Ranger 800 XP backfiring and "bucking"

This is a discussion on Ranger 800 XP backfiring and "bucking" within the General Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; My 2010 Ranger 800XP started "bucking" or "surging" this morning and by the time I got it home, it was backfiring ... any thoughts? Bad ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Ranger 800 XP backfiring and "bucking"

My 2010 Ranger 800XP started "bucking" or "surging" this morning and by the time I got it home, it was backfiring ... any thoughts? Bad gas? Fuel Injector cleaner? John
jflisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #2

Check the fuel-pressure. A bad fuel-pump I'd guess.

ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

I have a 2011 polaris ranger 800xp after riding a short distance it starts to cut out, thought it may be the fuel pump and i put a new one on it. I rode it again and the same thing happened anyone have any ideas
JimmySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #4

JFlisk, If you have water in the fuel it'll show itself by causing stumbling and backfire on deceleration, under light load and accelerating off idle. Normally with water in the gas it will accelerate once you get moving and idle but thats about the only time it will run right. If this is what you have you can swipe a half bottle of rubbing alcohol from the misses and put it in the tank to clear it up. Heet will do it (because it's just alcohol) as will Seafoam. If you fill from gas cans regularly you will get accumulations of water because gas is cr@ppol@ these days and the water breaks out in can due to condensation.

Jimmy, don't be a thread hijacker bro, people will help in your thread if they can.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #5

Just a thought, if you have been riding in a lot of mud, check the muffler for mud clogged in the exhaust pipe. I had a sportsman 500 that I had several years back that would not run very well and the exhaust pipe was clogged with mud.
Samclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

Just a thought to add to what Slacker said about gaz cans. These tanks are plastic, and I magine it might be that on the hot dry days we have here in the high desert. That there might even be condensation occurring in the tank itself.

I had experienced symptoms similar, in climbing a steep grade and not having a lot of air flow around the radiator the machine stalled and back fired, but would idle when started, just didn't like any throttle at that point.

Also as I mentioned in another thread, this occurred on flat ground as well previous to this ride Saturday. So I was thinking a vapor lock thing? But this makes me wonder about condensation in the fuel?
ALNeenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
JFlisk, If you have water in the fuel it'll show itself by causing stumbling and backfire on deceleration, under light load and accelerating off idle. Normally with water in the gas it will accelerate once you get moving and idle but thats about the only time it will run right. If this is what you have you can swipe a half bottle of rubbing alcohol from the misses and put it in the tank to clear it up. Heet will do it (because it's just alcohol) as will Seafoam. If you fill from gas cans regularly you will get accumulations of water because gas is cr@ppol@ these days and the water breaks out in can due to condensation.

Jimmy, don't be a thread hijacker bro, people will help in your thread if they can.
No no no no no no nonononononononoooooooooo. Do not add alcohol to you fuel system. If you have water in your gas, drain and refill! These new machines are so finiky to fuel it's unreal. I run non-ethanol 91 premium ONLY in my wheelers, boats, and sleds. Todays gas is garbage!
fireball440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

Do not waste your money on fuel injector cleaners! They do not work. I pulled my injectors and had them cleaned and flow tested. Now my 2013 Ranger 900xp is running great again. I used a company in Mooresville, NC, Race City Injector
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #9

all these machines have sensors on them that go to the CDI box...not uncommon in most Polaris machine to have bad wires from a sensor that will cause a a machine to run eradic...If all else fails take to dealer and plug in diagnostic if It throws a code it could be bad wires..
shakey352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #10

Same thing

I have a 2010 Ranger 800 also; mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being a low battery charge, I checked the battery fluid and it was empty. I filled with water & charged it back up and problem gone, been good ever since.
jasona5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

Search tags for this page

09 ppolaris 800 rzr back firing and sputter in accelaration

2013 polaris ranger 800 fuel pump bosch

2014 polaris ranger 570 bucking and backfiring

bad gas rzr 800

polaris 800 backfiring deceleration

polaris 800 ranger cuts out on acceleration

polaris backfiring and cutting off

polaris razor backfiring

polaris rzr 800 backfires

ranger polaris back firing

rzr 800 backfire

what would a bad injector cause on polaris ranger 800
Click on a term to search for related topics.