Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Bad fuel pump? Check this first!

This is a discussion on Bad fuel pump? Check this first! within the General Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I went riding to PA this weekend at my sisters farm. There are also many trails near her as well. She has a 400 Ranger ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #1

Bad fuel pump? Check this first!

I went riding to PA this weekend at my sisters farm. There are also many trails near her as well. She has a 400 Ranger that has been rock solid dependable now for 3 years. This weekend it started to act up as far as just backfire a few times then die while going down the trail. We traced it down to a fuel problem. Got the machine back to her place and I started working on it. The fuel pump was hot to the touch and would only pee out a small stream of fuel and build no pressure. I pulled the cap off the tank to make sure the vent tile was not plugged. Next I pulled the pick up line and checked the screen, no dirt. I thought for sure the fuel pump was bad.
What it turned out to be was the line from the fuel pick up tube to the pump. This line was just a tiny bit loose on the fuel pump side. You could spin it on the pump with the factory clamp on. It was by no means sloppy loose. Just able to spin. I cut off about a half inch of hose and put on a regular screw type clamp and it now runs like a top again. The fuel pump is quieter, and builds pressure. We took it for several more rides and no problems. I really thought that there was no way this line being only ever so slightly loose would cause a problem.
For those who think they have a bad pump, try this first, it might save you some dollars and grief!!
Full metal cab, Soft doors, Glass tip out windshield, Windshield wiper, 60" Glacier plow, 42" Loader bucket, 3500# Polaris winch, Benz silent rider exhaust, Rubber bed mat, Bluetooth speaker, MP3/GPS/Smartphone mount, 20,000 Btu budget cab heater, L.E.D. driving lights, L.E.D. dome light, Twin 27 Watt L.E.D. bed/back up lights, 35 Watt 5000K HID head lights, Running board style nerf bars. UTV pulled trailer, Hitch mount cargo carrier.
Handyhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #2

Glad you were able to fix your ride pretty easily. Sometimes it can be something as simple as your case, other times its the whole pump.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #3

Aeration.....Good catch!!!

ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

Good catch HH........
Islander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #5

I have. A ranger 400 and have been having " fuel pump " problems I would like to know where it is located so I can see if this is why my ranger backfires a lot. Btw I have a 2013
FLBADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBADBOY View Post
I have. A ranger 400 and have been having " fuel pump " problems I would like to know where it is located so I can see if this is why my ranger backfires a lot. Btw I have a 2013
If you pull the seat, the fuel pump mounts to the frame for the seat on the front . The hose comes from the tank to the pump then the inline filter then to the driver side to the carb. It is a black hose that is about 1/4 inch I.D. The fuel pump will have two wires to it. Once you have the seat off, turn on the key and you will hear the pump run for a few seconds. The hose from the tank to the pump is where her problems were. It might be a good idea to just go ahead and get two fuel line clamps and change them out since they are easy to get to and you will be there anyway.
The pump mounts to the top channel that the seat sits on and is easy to get to.

I really don't know if the 2013 is the same as hers, but I would think it is very close.

I can tell you that hers does backfire coming down a hill with the engine at idle, my 500 does not. Hers has always done this she said.
Full metal cab, Soft doors, Glass tip out windshield, Windshield wiper, 60" Glacier plow, 42" Loader bucket, 3500# Polaris winch, Benz silent rider exhaust, Rubber bed mat, Bluetooth speaker, MP3/GPS/Smartphone mount, 20,000 Btu budget cab heater, L.E.D. driving lights, L.E.D. dome light, Twin 27 Watt L.E.D. bed/back up lights, 35 Watt 5000K HID head lights, Running board style nerf bars. UTV pulled trailer, Hitch mount cargo carrier.

Last edited by Handyhiker; 07-10-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #7

Mine only back fires coming down a hill but I live at the top of a decent sized hill so every time I leave home it backfires I wonder why ranger 400s do this?
FLBADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #8

My guess, the engine sucks in more fuel than it uses coming down hill and passes it through to the exhaust. Then when the exhaust valve opens, it ignights the fuel and bang.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #9

A buddy and i took our 2012 Ranger xp 800's out this last weekend. After about an hour of riding the trails his began to cut out and die. while riding it it started to backfire a lot and then would die. When it would start again he could take off and he said he could feel it losing power and then it would start cutting out and die again. he said if he would turn it off before it died, he could start it right back up and take off again and ride for a min before it would start acting up again... Does this seem like the same problem? clueless!
JJany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJany View Post
A buddy and i took our 2012 Ranger xp 800's out this last weekend. After about an hour of riding the trails his began to cut out and die. while riding it it started to backfire a lot and then would die. When it would start again he could take off and he said he could feel it losing power and then it would start cutting out and die again. he said if he would turn it off before it died, he could start it right back up and take off again and ride for a min before it would start acting up again... Does this seem like the same problem? clueless!

Not really the same but remember this, The 400 is a carbureted unit, yours is a fuel injected one. Not sure how it would act with this same problem. Also something else I just thought of, my 500 is fuel injected and the pump is in the tank, not on the front seat base, so I guess this would not apply to fuel injected units.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
2013 polaris ranger fuel pump
2013 polaris ranger fuel pump problems
401154 polaris ranger 400 pump pressure
fuel pump for polaris ranger
fuel pump polaris ranger

polaris fuel pump problems

polaris ranger 400 fuel pump

polaris ranger 400 fuel pump problem
polaris ranger 500 fuel pump problems
polaris ranger driving with lose gas cap

polaris ranger fuel pump

polaris ranger fuel pump problem

Click on a term to search for related topics.