Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

700 XP Battery charging issue

This is a discussion on 700 XP Battery charging issue within the General Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I have a 2006 700 XP with battery recharging issues. When testing the battery disconnected it shows 12.8 volts. When tesing with the cables connected ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #1

700 XP Battery charging issue

I have a 2006 700 XP with battery recharging issues. When testing the battery disconnected it shows 12.8 volts. When tesing with the cables connected and the engine running it reads only 12.1 volts. That tells me that the charging syestem is not working. I have burned through 2 batteries. Are there fuses that could have blown? Where should I start the diagnosics?
az scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #2

Re: 700 XP Battery charging issue

I'm not 100% on this but I do think the engine has to be at an RPM a little higher then idle to show much difference in the voltage at charge.

Someone instructed me a while back but I'm not sure if this is correct. To check the charge rate I believe the meter needs to be in line with the positive terminal and not just connected to both + & - at the battery.

Others here will know better how to check it but if memory serves me right (often doesn't) I had to check to see if a battery charger was putting a charge into a battery and connected both the meter leads, positive to the charger battery clip and negative to the positive side of the battery then turn on the charger. Negative from the charger went direct to neg on the battery. This way the meter was in line and gave an accurate reading.

Not sure how you could do that on the machine or if it is even adviseable but I don't believe you get an accurate reading while the battery is connected and you place the meter leads to + & -.

Gary
Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by az
I have a 2006 700 XP with battery recharging issues. When testing the battery disconnected it shows 12.8 volts. When tesing with the cables connected and the engine running it reads only 12.1 volts. That tells me that the charging syestem is not working. I have burned through 2 batteries. Are there fuses that could have blown? Where should I start the diagnosics?
With the engine off & all electrical equipment off, disconnect the positive lead from the battery & connect an ampmeter in series. Red lead of the meter to the battery, black lead of the meter to the battery positive cable. The amount of current you read should be a very negligable amount since the only item that should be drawing any current would be the clock. A good indication of an electrical short that would be draining your battery is a reading of .10 ampere or more. Another way to determine if you have an electrical short would be disconnecting the positive battery cable from the battery. Then touch the positive battery cable to the battery. If the sparks fly you have a short.

If you have any electrical equipment not working then you could have a burnt fuse. A burnt fuse will not drain the battery. I agree w/ Grazor the engine has to be running above idle to charge the battery.

Your alternator may not be charging. You should be ableto take the alternator to any parts store to have then test it for you.
oiltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

To be more specific, the battery only loses a charge while driving. Once the voltage drops to a certain level, the Ranger stops running. My guess is there is not enough juice to power the EFI system, ect.

I know it has a stator / magnetto type charging system. Is there a way to test it?

Also, there has to be fuses on this thing. Where are they?

Thanks in advanced for any help.
az scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #5

Have a Polaris 700xp and it not charging. I pull the hot wire off the battery and the engine quits. Could this indicate the stator is bad?
rhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #6

700 no charge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhughes View Post
Have a Polaris 700xp and it not charging. I pull the hot wire off the battery and the engine quits. Could this indicate the stator is bad?
Easiest way to tell if your stator charge is getting to the battery :

Set multimeter to DC volts

Start engine

Put red on battery +
Put Black on battery -

Have buddy rev the engine. If meter does not immediately jump up towards 13/14 volts, you are not charging. Could be bad stator but I doubt it as I have never seen or have only heard of ONE going bad and thank GOD for that. Parts are sky high. The 2006 700 ,charge from the stator is routed through the POWER MODULE ( ECM) big silver box with fins under the hood. This 2006 box could have burnt plug connectors/wires etc which
is notorious for going bad . The 2007 and up go to a smaller silver box with fins and is a real votage regulator (no ECM) and can be bad. You didn't mention what year .............ps.........Quit pulling the battery cable off as the computer needs 7 volts just to say hello. It is also hard on electronic sensors etc...

Last edited by Islander; 04-27-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #7

Very good and*informative*exchange*..*Thank you!
Savcoolret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

Don't do this again ! You can ruin the ECM .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhughes View Post
yooper265 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
2005 polaris ranger 700xp voltage regulator
2006 polaris ranger wont start when hot
2007 polaris ranger fuse box
2007 polaris ranger not charging
2007polaris ranger 700 battery problems
battery charging system 2008 polaris ranger
battery for polaris ranger 700 xp
i have a 2008 polaris xp ranger that the battery will not stay charged had new battery and new plug wire what could it b
polaris ranger 700 not charging

polaris ranger charging system

polaris ranger not charging

xpwhat charges battery on polaris
Click on a term to search for related topics.