Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Gas in oil 2007 500 EFI

This is a discussion on Gas in oil 2007 500 EFI within the General Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I am getting gas in my oil. When I tested the efi codes it tested as operating as it should. I run it in cold ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #1

Gas in oil 2007 500 EFI

I am getting gas in my oil. When I tested the efi codes it tested as operating as it should. I run it in cold weather and not real hard. Any ideas what may be wrong? Will it hurt it to run it this way?
claudej is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #2

Re: Gas in oil 2007 500 EFI

Anytime you have engine oil mixed with gasoline it becomes diluted reducing the viscosity and potentially leading to premature bearing failure or other lubricated moving parts for that matter. Other than smell, what leads you to believe that fuel is mixing with oil on your rig? Have you changed the oil or serviced it recently or as scheduled? If there is no obvious visual reason why the fuel and oil are mixing, your first step should be to change the oil/filter and monitor the condition of the oil closely. Make sure to take note of the smell, color, and thickness after your inital check start. Compare these findings after each use and check the progress/deterioration of the oil as time goes on. If a notable change concerning smell and level appear, take it from there. If fuel is mixing with your oil the level should rise equal to the amount of fuel that is being induced to the oil with exception if the engine is burning oil/g. How does it run?
phuque4074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

It runs good no smoke, I just changed the oil that is where I noticed it. I am monitering it and it appears that the gas smell is building up and my oil level is rising a bit and it apear tinner. What would cause this?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #4

I think I would get it to a dealer for a compression test. I'm no tech mechanic but I think the way that gas gets in your oil is by way of leaky piston rings allowing it by.

Not a good situation and as phuque4074 states, this dilutes the engine oil and is hazardous to the engine in many ways.

Gary
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #5

I agree with Gary. That is about the only way that oil and fuel can mix on a gasoline engine. Worn piston rings allow the air/fuel mixture to pass the compression and oil rings during the compression stroke forcing fuel into the crankcase and thus diluting the oil. Prolonged usage during this condition could potentially lead to premature bearing or other internal lubricated component failure. Get it to the dealer or other reputable technician for a compression test and/or teardown inspection. Good luck.
phuque4074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #6

I tested the compression and it was 75. the spec says a range of 70-90. I checked the plug and it was not fouled. It idels fine, does not smoke, runs fine . I guess I will have to have the dealer check it out. As the EFI codes say all is well with the efi system. Any other ideas?/// Thanks.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Z71

Do you run it for short distance or time then shut off the engine and do this frequently like working around the property etc? When the engine is cold (engine temp less than 100F) the efi system will be enriching the fuel mixture so it runs better cold and if you don't run it long enough to reach operating temps, it could lead to this. If that is how it is being used, try letting it run longer so the engine reaches operating temp even if you have to let idle while you doing work or take if for a long ride.

If not this then the injector(s) might be dripping fuel down the cylinder. Maybe a fuel additive to clean up the fuel system might be an easy fix to try. It does not take much to start to gum up the injectors and other fuel system parts especially when more fuels contain ethanol. Infrequent equipment use with ethanol based fuels (as little as 10% in most all fuels now) can reach havoc in the fuel systems of small engines.

Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the input. I took it to the dealer he removed the injector and cycled it and when under pressure it leaked gas. That was what was leaking into my oil. The efi codes did not show any problems as they are more testing electical functions of the system and none of them test the pressure. Thanks for all of you good input and help. Claude.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #9

re: gas in oil

hey i have about 6 rangers that have done this and ruined the engines now i have a 2010 800 crew doing it and it does seem that the are run cold for short distances more than anything we sent the 2010 to the dealership they claimes to have fixed it but here two weeks later its overfull again with gasoline
carys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
2007 polaris 450 has gas in oil
cause of gas getting into the oil on a polaris
gas in oil 2010 polaris 500
getting gas in oil on polaris ranger 500
how would gas get in oil on atv with efi
polaris fuel in crankcase efi
polaris ranger fuel in oil

polaris ranger gas in oil

polaris sportsman 500 gas in oil
pollais ranger dumping gas in oil why
what causes gas in the oil of my polaris seven hundred
whydoigetgasintheoilofmy2007polarisutv
Click on a term to search for related topics.