Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

over heating problem...help me please!!

This is a discussion on over heating problem...help me please!! within the General Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I have a 2006 polaris ranger xp 700, fuel injected. After i ride it around for about 15 to 20 minutes the temp light comes ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

over heating problem...help me please!!

I have a 2006 polaris ranger xp 700, fuel injected. After i ride it around for about 15 to 20 minutes the temp light comes on. It doesn't matter if i am riding very easy or riding very hard, it takes about the same amount of time for it to come on. I have cleaned the radiator several times and checked the antifreeze and it is full. I also had it at a polaris shop and they checked the head gaskets and said they were good. So i am at a loss. I have no idea what else it could be. It runs fine, the only problem is the temp light comes on, along with the fan, so i always stop riding when they come on. So does anyone on here have any ideas? Could be some sensor or something?
tucker444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

I haven't had my 2006 500 4x4 get hot enough for a light to come on (not sure it even has one, since it's not an XP), but the fan comes on sometimes. Arct

When my Arctic Cat ATV gets hot, it helps if I can start moving faster, to move more air across the radiator. Stopping it will cool the engine down, but it might cool down quicker if you were kind of zipping along over smooth terrain - if that's even possible/available where you ride - to move cooling air across it.

Any chance you have anything blocking the air flow up front? Fancy bumper, winch, grille plugged with brush?
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #3

I have heard of issues if the lines aren't purged of air. I would also check the ratio of water/antifreeze. Have you continued to drive with the light on and had the machine cut out as a safety feature?(Could be a faulty hot light circuit) After reading through my service manual, it looks like you may want to check a few parts of the water pump system under the water pump houing. There should be a nylon nut that needs to be tightened down. Another issue may be over-wear of the pump rotors. You will beed to take of the stator cover housing. Take the gear(top right gear if looking straight on at it) The pump rotorclearance should not exceed 0.006"(0.15 mm) When taking the gears and rotors apart make sure you use a white pen and mark the item to ensure proper re-install.

The service manual says that there could be several potential issues:
• Low coolant level
• Air in cooling system
• Wrong type/mix of coolant
• Faulty pressure cap or system leaks
• Restricted system (mud or debris in radiator fins
causing restriction to air flow, passages blocked in
radiator, lines, pump, or water jacket, accident damage)
• Lean mixture (restricted jets, vents, fuel pump or fuel
valve)
• Fuel pump output weak
• Electrical malfunction
• Water pump failure/ Loose impeller
• Thermistor failure
• Cooling fan inoperative or turning too slowly (perform
current draw test)
• Ignition timing mis-adjusted
• Low oil level
• Spark plug incorrect heat range
• Faulty hot light circuit
• Thermostat stuck closed or not opening completely

Maybe this can help you
Homecut Polycarbonate windshield
4 -7 lightforce lights 100w
2 PIAA back up lights
Defender rack
2500lb warn winch (dual mount with quick connectors)
indash 2 way momentary switch/external quick connect remote
Wishlist
Viair dual compressors with 2.5g tank.
azar5613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #4

I don't have any thing up front to block the air flow, i even took the stock guard off and rode with it completely open up front and it still done it. Thanks for the tips to check into tho, if ne has any more tips or ideas i would love to hear them. Thanks!!
tucker444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #5

I have the same problem with 2007 ranger 700. I took it to two dealers that charged me a lot of money to NOT fix the problem. The first one cleaned the rad and I went back on our moose hunt. This did not work. The second one said I had a small leak from a T in the rad hose. Again this did not fix the problem.
I finally went to someone that is not a polaris dealer and what do you know he actually new what the problem was. This guy works out of his house. He checked the relay that tells the fan to kick in when it gets hot. The relay does not work all the time so he changed out the relay and it did the same thing. He said it was the curcuit board and told be not to change is because Polaris will rape you on the price. He bypassed the relay hooking it up direct to the accessory switch and put in an inline fuse and a toggle switch so I can operated in manually if I have to.
Guess the Polaris boys can only change tires or wash out rads.
stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

Could be air in the radiator hoses. Not sure on the Ranger's how to purge them but I'm sure someone with better knowledge on here will. If the fan is kicking on when the high temp light comes on something definitely isn't right. The high temp light should never be on. Could be a thermostat issue, sensor issue, or a relay problem.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

Search tags for this page

2005 polaris ranger overheating

2005 polaris ranger running hot

2007 polaris ranger 700 xp cooling system overheating

2007 polaris ranger is overheating

2007 polaris ranger overheating

2007 polaris ranger water pump

2009 polaris ford ranger cuts out
overheating on a 700 polaris ranger

polaris 700 ranger overheating

polaris ranger over heating

polaris ranger problem with fan

polaris ranger thermostat problem

Click on a term to search for related topics.