Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Front diff rattle.

This is a discussion on Front diff rattle. within the General Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I have a 2010 Polaris Ev and I am happy with the machine except for the front diff rattle when in two wheel drive . ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Angry Front diff rattle.

I have a 2010 Polaris Ev and I am happy with the machine except for the front diff rattle when in two wheel drive . When I switch to four wheel drive it goes away. I have heard of othe Polaris EV having the same issues. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or solutions.I was thinking of trying a different front diff lube.
lou1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1947 View Post
I have a 2010 Polaris Ev and I am happy with the machine except for the front diff rattle when in two wheel drive . When I switch to four wheel drive it goes away. I have heard of othe Polaris EV having the same issues. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or solutions.I was thinking of trying a different front diff lube.
I had the same problem with my 500 crew and then found out you have to back up 10' to unlock the front diff. hubs (like the 80 model 1/2 ton trucks) ever since no problems.
grouseridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. My EV starts rattling only when you take it out of four wheel drive. Even if I stop and back up for ten feet and then go forward.Today I drove a new 2011 EV with .2 hours on it and it makes the same rattling on two wheel drive but not in four wheel drive. My guess is that Polaris knows about thr problem but has no answers.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #4

remove the hub cap and try to see if there is a metal cap in the center of the wheel axle. Mine was loose and rattle every time a pothole. I just tried to plug a little tighter with a pair of pliers. The noise is gone ...
carlosshane1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

The Hub Cap on the wheel?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

I'm guessing he means the small plastic cap that covers the nut in the middle of the hub. On my '06, you can grab that hub cap and pull it off to see what's behind it. Not sure if yours is the same or not.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #7

Talked t a Polaris dealer and they were aware of the rattle.They said that all Polaris ATV's do it but that you don"t hear on the gas AtV's because of the engine noise. The rattling sound is as a result of the drive shafts splines rattling when no tension on two wheel drive,once the four wheel drive is engaged the front wheels are pulling and there is no longer play on the splines. The cure appears to be to use some anti seize compound on the splines so that they won't rattle. His explanation appears to make sense but I just wonder why Polaris has not come out with a technical bulletin and why they dont use the anti seize compound al the new units. Ant thought on this simple cure?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1947 View Post
Talked t a Polaris dealer and they were aware of the rattle.They said that all Polaris ATV's do it but that you don"t hear on the gas AtV's because of the engine noise. The rattling sound is as a result of the drive shafts splines rattling when no tension on two wheel drive,once the four wheel drive is engaged the front wheels are pulling and there is no longer play on the splines. The cure appears to be to use some anti seize compound on the splines so that they won't rattle. His explanation appears to make sense but I just wonder why Polaris has not come out with a technical bulletin and why they dont use the anti seize compound al the new units. Ant thought on this simple cure?
when you refer to putting anti sieze compound on the splines are you refering to the the input drive shaft or the outpust CV shafts or all three ?
thanks
Gary
Blueacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #9

On all three.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

Search tags for this page

2009 polaris ranger front differential

big red rattle front differential
click noise in front on polaris ranger
driveshaft rattling noise on a polaris rzr
polaris crew front end noise
polaris ev front end noise
polaris front differential noise

polaris ranger front differential problems

polaris ranger ticking sound in two wheel drive but not four
polaris rzr front differential
rattle front end polaris ranger
rattling noise in front of my polaris ranger crew
Click on a term to search for related topics.