Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Spare tire vs. fix-a-flat vs. slime

This is a discussion on Spare tire vs. fix-a-flat vs. slime within the General Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I bought a large jug of slime to put in my tires, but I'm now second guessing that I should put it in the tires. ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #1

Spare tire vs. fix-a-flat vs. slime

I bought a large jug of slime to put in my tires, but I'm now second guessing that I should put it in the tires.

I was wondering what others thought of the above options, or others, for fixing or preventing a flat.
brmccolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #2

I have not spent the money for a spare. I have never used a can of fix-a-flat. I have used green slime in lawn mowers and other yard equipment with good luck. My first ranger ride when the machine was new resulted in a low tire. I purchased a gallon jug of green slime with the hand pump and followed the directions. I have had no regrets, and no flats in two years of riding through brushy, wooded areas.
Glynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

I'm with Glynn. I have put Slime in tires that were definitely "religious" (holy), and it sealed the leaks.

When I got my ATV in 2006, I bought a gallon of Slime and put a quart in each tire. Used it a lot in GA where there are lots of bushes and small trees with looong tough thorns, and lever had a flat. I did the same when I got my Ranger earlier this year. It's good insurance.

I do carry a small 12v compressor in the Ranger. The one I bought is a little bitty Slime brand one in a clear vinyl zipper case. Don't know what kind of quality it has, it's an el cheapo from Wal-Mart.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #4

I keep a 12 v air comp and a tire plug kit in the ranger. Have put 6 plugs in a hole in the sidewall before but it got us home. The slime is ok until you want to change the tire then it's messy.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

on other atv's where a spare tire was not a option, a plug repair kit and a small canister of CO2 under the seat was a must. I like the idea of carrying a 12v inflator. If i was doing serious offroading in a ranger along ways from the truck.. a spare would deff be on my list of must haves on board.
OtisblkR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #6

I have used slime and fix a flat in all of my tires. For a quick fix on the traill, a tire plugging kit and fix a flat will get you going again. Slime is a semi-permanent fix and works good. I also carry a small electric compressor with me. I have 4 spare tires that would be used once the vehicle is back to civilization but I do not carry one on the RZR. Althouth I do think the machines that have the spare tire carrier and spare tire look cool. Tire men will not appreciate your using slime or fix a flat, but they are not the ones that would have to walk out.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #7

Fix a Flat will prevent a patch from sticking to the inside of a tire. I learned that the one time I tried to use the stuff. It didn't work, I changed the tire and had it patched. The patch came loose in short order and I was back to square one.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Chastain View Post
Fix a Flat will prevent a patch from sticking to the inside of a tire. I learned that the one time I tried to use the stuff. It didn't work, I changed the tire and had it patched. The patch came loose in short order and I was back to square one.
I have used Fix-A-Flat for way over 20 years and have never had that problem. Sounds like you ran into a PO'd tireman that did not clean up the inside of the tire before he patched it. That sometimes happens even if you paid money for the service. Tiremen are very religious about not using anything in the tires that they work on, especially Fix-A-Flat. Which is strange, it really is not that difficult to clean up with a steel brush and some solvent. I guess it is kind of like lighting up a cigarette before you go to the dentist or doctor.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #9

Where do you find the green slime ?
hulihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #10

Wal-Mart, Harbor Freight, pretty much any auto parts store...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
fix a flat or quick spair
fix a flat or slime
fix a flat vs quick spair

fix a flat vs slime

fix a flat vs slime quick spair

green slime vs fix a flat

quick spair vs fix a flat

slime quick spair

slime quick spair vs fix a flat

slime quick spare

slime vs fix a flat

tire slime vs fix a flat

Click on a term to search for related topics.