Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Oil

This is a discussion on Oil within the General Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I知 due for my first service that I will do myself. I know this oil thing has been beat to death on these forums, but ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Oil

I知 due for my first service that I will do myself. I know this oil thing has been beat to death on these forums, but I知 looking for some recommendations on oil for my 2012 500 EFI. I致e always used Mobil 1or should I use their Polaris PS-4 Plus oil? Also what weight oil would I use with a synthetic?

2012 Ranger 500efi Midsize
EMP Front Bumper, Viper Elite 4000# Wide Spool Winch, Polaris Dual Battery Kit, EMP Windshield, Polaris Canvas Cab and Doors, Motoalliance 66 Plow, 28" Zilla Tires, MSA Reaper Wheels, 2" High Lifter Lift, Backwoods Armor Forward A-Arms
gully is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #2

Polaris doesnt make motor oil, they pay someone to put there label on a bottle..
M1 is a great choice but its expensive.. Im running Rotella T6 in my ranger and i own a happy machine..

The weight question is a interesting one, a few years ago it was 40W now its 50w some dealers stock polaris 2w50 some stock the 40w.. Honest opinion ?? pure marketing.. its a 700cc 4 stroke motor 40w or 50w both work.. remember that these machines eat oil (sheer's down quickly) so in short order your 50 w is a 40 and your 40 is a 30.. I run Rotella 5w40 Syn and dump it and refill between 25-50 hours.. keeping in mind i dont beat my machine up real bad, i rarely haul much more that a little fire wood or trail riding equipment (cooler, rope, ect) if your hard on your machine id say be more conservative with the oil changes.. hope this helped.. I have a fairly lenthy responce n the oil (sticky) on this site.
OtisblkR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #3

I missed the sitcky. Thanks!

I'm think'n for the warranty period I might just run the Polaris oil just in case. After that I'll probably seek a Mobil 1 alternitive or maybe Rotella. I know Rotella is a great oil too! Thats what we use in our shop for our diesel trucks as well as Mobil 1.

2012 Ranger 500efi Midsize
EMP Front Bumper, Viper Elite 4000# Wide Spool Winch, Polaris Dual Battery Kit, EMP Windshield, Polaris Canvas Cab and Doors, Motoalliance 66 Plow, 28" Zilla Tires, MSA Reaper Wheels, 2" High Lifter Lift, Backwoods Armor Forward A-Arms
gully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

for sure always cover your @ss while under waranty.. when the waranty is out.. do what makes you happy.. I guess im a risk taker, ive still got two more years of warranty left and im throwing caution to the wind.. No way am i giving Polaris $26.xx for two quarts of oil.. Im also not running a polaris oil filter.. Nap/wix,purolator all work just fine and cost less than half and contain more media (filter paper) inside than standard powersports filters.. anywhoo.. good luck !
Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #5

I have heard a lot of people using Rotella in many types of side by sides. I am going to have make that decision soon also. Still have a warranty on mine also.

How about the diff fluids? I change mine nearly every time I change my oil.
PigsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigsLife View Post
I have heard a lot of people using Rotella in many types of side by sides. I am going to have make that decision soon also. Still have a warranty on mine also.

How about the diff fluids? I change mine nearly every time I change my oil.
Depends, my machines manual says change all fluids annualy.. "and to use ONLY Polaris fluids) Again.. Polaris doesnt make fluids.. just pays to put there sticker on someone elses bottles.. depending on how your using your machine and how often your changing your oil you might be overdoing it a bit..

The manufacturer doesnt put a timeframe on there diff of or gearbox.. just says "annualy"

My pickup gets fresh diff fluid every 30,000 miles and thats very conservative.. you do the math.....

Polaris just like many others wants more customer dollars.. They dont make coolant, or oil, or any other fluid.. but by putting there name on someone elses product and charging you $26.00 for two quarts of oil or $10-14 for a oil filter.. tehres a HUGE profit margin to be made..

Do a little research and youl find that your paying out the "ying-yang" for nothing special at all.. keep dollars in your pocket, cross-reference fluids, filters, ect and keep some cash.. put it towards your next machine

Ive not bought a "powersports/OEM" filter for my Ranger, YZF R1, Ninja, Garden tractor in 3-4 years now.. and all these machines live healthy long lives on HDEO motor oil and automotive car filters.. fyi, Rant over
Old 09-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #7

I use Mobil 1 in my car & truck, it works fine in my Ranger also.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #8

What oil filter wrench are you guys using?
strap or one that uses a socket extension

2012 800 HD
Doug454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

Guys; The big oil outfits ( and maybe Polaris) won't love this, but here is a methodoligy that I have followed with 100% success over a long period of time. It also meets just about any legal test as well regarding lubes.
- Step 1: get your manufacturers oil specifications
- Step 2: Go on the internet and search for API or other OIL rating services and check which oils meet the specs in step 1.
- Step 3: Get the oil and filter from which ever company meets OR exceeds the Step one specs,
- Step 4: Save your reciepts.
- Step 5: Change the oil IAW your manufaturers instructions.
- Step 6: Don't abuse you machine, run hard, don't abuse it.

We all have favourites in oils, I have used synthics for a long time with great results so I am biased. In Cummings, IH and most North American vehicles I used Shell Rotella and the BEST filters I could find. In my VWs I have always used ELF (often sold here as TOTAL) and usually a Mahn filter, it is quite possibly the highest rated oil made, period. I have never lost and engine, some of my skidders had 20,000hrs on them and I usually run my VWs 5 or 600,000. A bit of research will answer a lot of questions for you.

Also note that as a rule full synthetic oils ( with proper filters) can double your change intervals (or more) thus off setting higher purchase prices.
packmule1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
oil and filter for polaris ranger

oil for polaris ranger 500

polaris ranger 500 oil filter cross reference

polaris ranger 500 oil type
polaris ranger motor oil

polaris ranger oil filter

polaris ranger oil type

polaris ranger oil weight
type of oil for polaris ranger
what kind of oil does a polaris ranger use
what kind of oil to use in polaris ranger
what oil to use in polaris ranger
Click on a term to search for related topics.