Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

2008 Ranger 4x4 500 EFI not starting

This is a discussion on 2008 Ranger 4x4 500 EFI not starting within the Modified Tech Discussion forums, part of the PRF Tech Forums category; I am going to describe what is going on as best as I can in as much detail. Two months ago I was out hunting ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > PRF Tech Forums > Modified Tech Discussion

Modified Tech Discussion Tech Related Discussion for Ranger & RZR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

2008 Ranger 4x4 500 EFI not starting

I am going to describe what is going on as best as I can in as much detail. Two months ago I was out hunting and had been driving my ranger on and off all weekend, before we left I went in the pasture no problems, 45 minutes later it would not start or jump. Loaded it up on the trailer and came home. I tried to start it for grins at home and it fired right up. I checked all connections for being loose did not find any issues. The battery was down so I topped it off with distilled had it checked by two different folks both said it was weak but good. I drove it around the house on a daily basis for two weeks no issues.
Last week again back at the lease drove all weekend and just before leaveing it would not start. This time I was able to jump start it, load it and come home. This time at home I was unable to jump it with a charger or jump-n-carry.
Here is whats going on I turn the key on, hear the fuel pump clicking in and dash lights come on,but when I turn the key to start I get nothing. The lights go out like they always do when starting but no sound from the solenoid or starter. So after doing some research on this site I took my volt meter check the battery it read 12.6+ from the positive to negative. Check from the (power in) pos. side of the solenoid to the negative 12.6 volts. Checked the power out side of the solenoid and grnd, with key on, nothing, and also while turning the key. All the while I had my foot on the brake petal. I then made me a jumper and went from the outboard side of the solenoid to the positive side of the battery while turning the key and appling the brake it starts as it normally does. From this I determined that the solenoid was faulty and ordered one, it came in yesterday I installed it today and the same thing happened. Check power on new solenoid why turning the key still no power. I now believe it may be the switch but before I spend more money I thought I would ask some of the members who are better than I am at diagnosing problems, SO HELP.
I know that batteries can cause real issues and the battery is more than three years old I do not believe that is the culprit. I plan on replcing it soon but I have other issues now.
Is there a way to check a soleniod to determine if it is good with a volt meter such as continuity?

Ok so today I had it parked outside and left the key on by accident just for fun I tried starting it and low and behold it started so just for grins I took the key out and sprayed it down with silicone. I next three time I tried starting it the machine fired up ??

Last edited by bholt; 03-04-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: More info
bholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #2

I figured it out some time ago and failed to post in case someone else has this problem. Turned out to be the key switch. Soon as the new one was installed that problem was solved now on to the next.
bholt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > PRF Tech Forums > Modified Tech Discussion

Search tags for this page
2008 polaris 500 would strat no power
2008 polaris ranger crew will not start
2008 polaris ranger starting problems
operation how to key start a ranger polaris 500 efi crew
polaris 500 efi not starting
polaris ranger 500 4x4 will not start
polaris ranger 500 turn key on and takes 5 min for it to start

polaris ranger not starting

polaris ranger will not start

ranger 500 lights go out when key turned
ranger 500efi will not start
troubleshooting polaris atv not starting
Click on a term to search for related topics.