Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Battery Charging

This is a discussion on Battery Charging within the Modified Tech Discussion forums, part of the PRF Tech Forums category; Here are some tips I use to charge a dead battery. If the battery won't take a charge and all you get is error messages ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > PRF Tech Forums > Modified Tech Discussion

Modified Tech Discussion Tech Related Discussion for Ranger & RZR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #1

Battery Charging

Here are some tips I use to charge a dead battery. If the battery won't take a charge and all you get is error messages on your charger, Hook another fully charged battery in parallel with it. (+ to +, and - to -) then hook up the battery charger, often this will enable a charge to feed into the uncharged battery. Leave it like this over night and ususally the dead battery will pick up a charge. If this does not work, if the battery is a wet cell battery with battery caps, you can pour all of the old acid out and reacid the battery with new acid. This will bring about 1/3 of the batteries back to life. If the battery has a short or a real dead cell then about all you can do is trade it in on a new battery. Be sure to thouroughly clean both terminals before you use the battery. Desulfinating a battery will usualy add another year to its life. Equalizing a battery will also help, but you can only do that with a wet cell battery.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #2

Re: Battery Charging

Some good tips, could you go into a little more detail on desulfinating a battery will usualy add another year to its life. Equalizing a battery will also help, but you can only do that with a wet cell battery. I have never heard of those two terms before, thanks.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #3

To start with my battery charger is a "Black & Decker Smart Fully Automatic Electronic Battery Charger". It has a 40/20/10/4 Amp charge rates with 110 amp engine start. I think I got it at Walmart a few years back after someone borrowed my other charger and did not tell me. I am not sure how the desulfate function works unless they oscilate the voltage to repell the sulferic or sulfate buildup on the plates. You are supposed to do it if a battery gets completely discharged or is more than a couple of years old. It takes 24 hours for the process to work. I know it works because my trolling batteries last longer after they have been desulfated (running time when I am trolling). My charger also has an equalizer funtion that I don't know how it works. It is supposed to put an equal charge on each cell. It really gets the acid hot and you have to take the caps off for the steam to escape. This seems to help but not as much as desulfating does. I have a gel booster jumper battery that the instructions said to desulfate if it got fully discharged. So I guess all types of wet, gel, or AGM batteries can be desulfated. After the battery has been desulfated, put the charger on it at 4 amps to bring it up to 100% charge.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #4

Following is a table you can use to determine the state of charge of a battery.
A digital voltmeter is needed to do this test, an analog voltmeter is not accurate enough.
You should check the battery after it has not been used for 10 hours. A surface charge may exist and give false readings. Or you can turn on your lights for 5 minutes to remove any surface charge without any charging system running.

Battery State of Charge Voltage Table
Percent of Full Charge 12 Volt DC System
100% 12.7 volts
90% 12.6
80% 12.5
70% 12.3
60% 12.2
50% 12.1
40% 12.0
30% 11.8
20% 11.7
10% 11.6
0 <=11.6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > PRF Tech Forums > Modified Tech Discussion

Search tags for this page
04 polaris ranger not charging

2008 polaris ranger not charging

2008 polaris ranger wont charge battery
2009 polaris 2007 ford ranger battery not charging
charge rzr battery
how many rom for rzr to charge battery
how to reacid a battery
polaris battery is always dead

polaris ranger battery not charging

polaris ranger dead battery

polaris ranger wont charge

polaris rzr not charging

Click on a term to search for related topics.