Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Engine wont turn over, no click when you turn the key

100K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Jstruble 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Polaris 700 XP....when I turn the key on, I usually hear a click from behind me...Normal, I think.....
Well, now the click isn't there, and nothing happens when I turn the ignition key...yes, I'm stepping on the brake, I'm in neutral, and full-time 4wd is in the 2wd position.. LEaving the key on and jumping across the starter solenoid, the engine spins over as it should but doesn't start...
The battery is good as the engine turns over when you jump across the solenoid
I checked all the wiring connections.
Sometimes it does go ahead and start but never by wiggling or tapping on anything.
It seems to have a mind of its own......

Any ideas?

Thanks

#6 ·
2006 Ranger 500 4X4 EFI starting Problem

I'm having the same problem. Turn on key and 'silence'. It will occasionally start, allow me to get a block or 2 from the house,then the gear selector lights go out, and the engine dies immediately. I'm tired of towing it back to the house. Battery is new. Have replaced the ignition switch. no help.
Took it to the dealer -- he kept it for a week and it refused to fail. He replaced the spark plug. Brought it home and it was fine for 3-4 days. Now it is failing on a regular basis. I'm wondering about the electronic module, or a wiring harness issue. Any history on solutions to similar problems would be appreciated.

#7 ·
The only thing I know to try is jumping the brake switch, but I don't think that would cause it to die - just keep it from starting again.

And on my 2006 500 4x4 carb, if you jumper the switch, it illuminates the brake lights because it uses the same switch for starting and for brake lights.

That is pretty pathetic that your dealer couldn't at least come up with some suggestions.

When mine dies it is in the woods when I've been driving slowly, and it acts like it's out of gas - but in fact when it dies the gas is overflowing from the tubes in the carb. I don't know what to do about it.

#8 ·
Overflowing carbs would be the float / needle valve. As the fuel level in the bowl fills up the float pushes a needle valve up into a seat to cut the flow of fuel off. Once fuel is used up the float falls and lets more fuel in.

It sounds like you have gotten some trash in your fuel. It would only take a very small piece to keep the needle open.

Another possibility, although unlikely, is that the fuel pump is making too much pressure and just shoving fuel past the needle and seat. A restricted fuel return line might cause this if it can't relieve back into the tank.

Hope this gives you a couple of places to start.

#15 ·
I have a similar problem with mine you turn the key on and fuel pump does not power up, no power to accessories, will not crank. Only thing that has power is the instrument panel. I cleaned all the power and ground cables, check fuses, rotated relays. Also the switch on the brake, if that was a problem I think it will start in neutral without depressing brake and of course this wouldn't cause the other problems it is having.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.