Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Installing a aux battery

This is a discussion on Installing a aux battery within the Modified Tech Discussion forums, part of the PRF Tech Forums category; Hello all, just registered so I'm a NG to this site. I'm also a New Guy to Polaris Rangers, just bought a 2006 Ranger 500cc ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > PRF Tech Forums > Modified Tech Discussion

Modified Tech Discussion Tech Related Discussion for Ranger & RZR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #1

Installing a aux battery

Hello all,
just registered so I'm a NG to this site. I'm also a New Guy to Polaris Rangers, just bought a 2006 Ranger 500cc 4x4 and I was wanting to install an extra battery for the likes of stereo and extra lights. My question/concern is if I do connect an extra battery via a isolator/kit will the stock starter/alternator be able to charge it or will it be too much? I plan on using a (car battery)Red Top Optimia(?) for the aux battery. I'm not savvy enuff on the mechanics of rangers 'yet' so I wanted to ask here where it seems like there's alot of people with alot of good info and experience. I've asked a decent shade tree car mech about this and he said I may overload the alternator....any info/advise would be great!!!

thx for your time and considerations,

Eddie
EddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

Eddie,

Congrats, I got a 2006 500 4x4 Ranger just last month.

I found lots of talk about adding batteries on the RZR forum. I imagine much of it would apply to out Rangers also.

You can also try searching this forum.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

Thx bud".....I'll check it out!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #4

Russ,
From what I've read it seems there is no issues about the stock equip charging both batteries. I've seen battery isolators at Checker and Autozone for about $30 so now I just have to figure out and fab the extra batt box.
Thx for the tips!

Eddie
Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

No sweat.

Rangerware sells aux battery boxes and all kinds of nice stuff - but they price it very high. Looking at them, though, might give you some ideas on how to build yours.

I think they put them under the driver's side of the seat, which is where my buddy's 2001 Ranger has the factory battery installed. Be aware that it will be exposed to plenty of mud in that location... his certainly is.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #6

How you liking your ranger so far? I was worried about the mechanical noise (whining) but I'm understanding that this noise is normal.

EB
Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #7

I love it.

The most aggravating thing is just vibration between the plastic roof and the roll cage at certain RPMs, but I'll slip a little bit of padding in there and cure that.

The only times I remember noticing whining on mine is when I'm going down a hill.

A friend has a 2001 500 4x4 that was well-used when he got it, and he works it hard now. It has had some problems, but nothing major. It can be really noisy, but he finally discovered some missing bolts were allowing the ear-splitting hammering noise, so he got rid of that.

All in all, I think if you keep the fluids in good shape (topped off and changed at regular intervals) and don't drive it under water, it should last a good long time.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #8

I ended up taking out the stock battery and re-wired it from the stock wiring to underneath the driver's seat. i cut some 3/16" steel and bolted it to the frame. I then bolted a universal plastic marine battery case to the plate. Place the optima yellowtop battery inside, tighten the stap and I am set. I also drilled a drain hole in the bottom corner. I was surprised last week when preparing for my next ride to find a few inches inside. It has been nothing less than a dream. I run 4 lightforce lights and never have a problem.

As far as your original post... the best for lights will be LED, they are the least amperage with the most lumens-but with the highest cost. As well the stereo will draw a considerable amount. If you use the dual setup with the isolator though you should be fine. There are also fairly cheap system monitors to plug in to check:
Amazon.com: Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor: Automotive Amazon.com: Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor: Automotive

Good luck.
Timothy
Homecut Polycarbonate windshield
4 -7 lightforce lights 100w
2 PIAA back up lights
Defender rack
2500lb warn winch (dual mount with quick connectors)
indash 2 way momentary switch/external quick connect remote
Wishlist
Viair dual compressors with 2.5g tank.
azar5613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #9

Good, good info....thx for taking the time!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by azar5613 View Post
I ended up taking out the stock battery and re-wired it from the stock wiring to underneath the driver's seat. i cut some 3/16" steel and bolted it to the frame. I then bolted a universal plastic marine battery case to the plate. Place the optima yellowtop battery inside, tighten the stap and I am set. I also drilled a drain hole in the bottom corner. I was surprised last week when preparing for my next ride to find a few inches inside.
I considered doing that with mine. The Polaris brand AGM battery was wimpy when I got it. Even though the Ranger only had 13 hours on it, this was its second Polaris, and it soon died.

When I checked on prices for the small OEM size batteries, I thought seriously about abandoning the small battery and going with an Optima. But I don't usually run much extra stuff, and then the battery died for good as I was loading it on the trailer for a trip, so I ended up getting a good quality AGM battery to fit the factory location, for about $115 after tax.

With regular use, I hope this battery lasts for years. If not, I'll strongly consider an Optima. I have a red one on a small tractor, and it has never been dead when I've needed it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > PRF Tech Forums > Modified Tech Discussion

Search tags for this page
2008 polaris 700 ranger auxiliary battery
auxilary battery holder polaris ranger
can you put optima batteties polaris ranger
charging wire to battery on 2011 polaris ranger
for teryx battery isolator kits
polaris ranger aux battery box
polaris ranger battery isolator

polaris ranger extra battery

polaris ranger extra battery kit

polaris rzr extra battery
whats the cheapest way to put two batterys on a polaris ranger
wiring battery isolators on a polaris ranger 570
Click on a term to search for related topics.