Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Information on side by side 6x6

This is a discussion on Information on side by side 6x6 within the Polaris Ranger 6X6 forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; HI I live in Fairbanks Ak I have been looking for Information form owners that have the 6x6 what you like or dont like about ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger 6X6

Polaris Ranger 6X6 General discussions for the Polaris Ranger 6X6

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #1

Information on side by side 6x6

HI I live in Fairbanks Ak I have been looking for Information form owners that have the 6x6 what you like or dont like about it how does it hold up on the trails and any thing eles you can tell me about it would help me out Thanks for your time
Chris.Fluharty is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #2

I recently bought a 99 6x6, Chris, and am just learning about it so I can't give you a lot of info, but I did just learn that some later 500s do not have the manual recoil starter which seems like a good thing to have since my battery failed about two weeks after bringing it home. I've taken it on some old logging trails around home here in rocky Arkansas, but I don't think I'd want to try to race this thing. If you hit a dead end on the trail it takes more room to turn around than a 4X4, but it also has a pretty good capacity for hauling firewood which is my primary use right now. I am considering adding a windshield but will have to make one that hinges about 19 inches from the top in order to clear the hood when it is raised; I'd think a windshield and perhaps a cab would be something you'd need up in Alaska, so I'd check the availability on any Ranger you consider. I did have one fellow tell me he had sold a 6X6 sight unseen to a fellow in Florida who said it was the only unit that didn't get stuck in the sand, but I have also had to engage the front drive on a rocky uphill turn from one trail to another when my worn tires started to spin; I expect new tires would help that situation. My Ranger seems cold natured and takes awhile to warm up and it tends to surge at idle, but I haven't rebuilt the carb yet which may help that condition. All in all I am satisfied so far, although it drives a little cruder than I expected and the steering can be heavy at low speed, but I intend to use it as more a work unit than a recreational unit and for 1 mile trips down to the boathouse on paved roads in all weather. Time will tell if we find other uses, although I certainly hope it will prove better in the snow than my John Deere AMT 4X5 which totally sucked in deep snow with its fat turf tires.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #3

6x6 in AK

Chris, I drive a 2011 Ranger 500 EFI 4x4, and live in Eagle River, AK. My only experience that directly relates to you is the Electronic Fuel Injection. Everyone I've talked to who runs a Ranger in cold weather or high altitude swears by it. The non-EFI varieties can be hard to start in the cold and may run rough or die, at least until warmed up. Mine has only seen 20 below so far, but it starts without a hitch - every time. I bought a soft cab and heater, so now I push a plow in comfort instead of wrestling a snow-blower in the cold.

I have read that the 6x6 is almost unstoppable. The only thing better is to buy tracks! Stiff steering can be helped with after-market EPS if you find a unit that doesn't have it, but the down side of the 6x6 will always be maneuverability.

Good luck with your search, and let us see photos when you find one!
Polaris plexi windshield, soft cab, heater, 3500# winch, 60" Glacier steel plow and 66" Sno-Glide plow
redmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #4

I am new to the forum, I live in Idaho, and currently have a 2011 Yamaha Rhino 700FI but am having to let it go back to the bank because its in my mom's name and a year after purchase her disability insurance is saying that she's now allowed to have it because they are calling it a vehicle and a means of income, how I don't know because my truck in 4 years hasn't provided me any income at all just empty pockets.

Anyhow, I'm soon going to be in the market for another UTV, and after having the Rhino and loving its offroad abilities, would like to know how the Polaris Ranger 6x6's do offroad. My main use like with the rhino will be for utility purposes around the property, but also for firewood, and hunting (which is where the huge amount of offroad abuse will come in.) With my rhino I've rarely even needed 4WD, and have only used the differential lock once.

Does the Polaris Ranger 6x6 have any sort of differential lock? Are the rear axles locked together? That's the huge complaint I had with my rhino is the rear axle was locked all the time so on turf it would tear it up when making sharp turns.

Thanks,
Bill
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #5

Ranger 4x4s aren't locked all the time, so the 6x6 probably isn't - but consider the 4x4s instead of the 6x6 anyhow. The 4x4 should be a lot more maneuverable, and my 4x4 works great.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Chastain View Post
Ranger 4x4s aren't locked all the time, so the 6x6 probably isn't - but consider the 4x4s instead of the 6x6 anyhow. The 4x4 should be a lot more maneuverable, and my 4x4 works great.
I was looking more along the lines of a heavier duty machine for better hauling and towing capacity, or are the 4x4's and 6x6's the same for towing/hauling capacities?
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #7

Probably not the same... check the Polaris site, they should provide specs.
Russ Chastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #8

Greetings,

I am new to the forum but have owned and used/lived with my 6X6 for the last 10 years. I live on a ranch of over 160 acres with mud, snow, hard pan, and forest floor. I use my ranger for predominately wood cutting, brush removal, rock, concrete and just about anything you can imagine. I have about 10,000 sq ft of lawn, a forest of pine trees in front of the house and animals. I have used this ranger at most every level and I am here to tell you I have never run out of Power, take me the rest of the way, or had to pull the winch out to get me there. My terrain is all steep rough hillside with 150 year old logging trails.

If I run out of traction with the 6X6 I don't need to be there. Only limitation is the turning radius. Has a tendency to track like treads in a straight line. You learn to live with it, and work within its parameters. I do not feel that a 4X4 would do as well, nor do I think I could transition to one. Not after breaking in on the 6X6. I have personally moved yards of dirt in this when I cut a new pad for my deck. The bed takes three 1/4 yard buckets at a time. Try that with a wheel barrow.

My only complaint is the wimpy electrical output from the magnito. I forget this is basically a motorcycle of sorts (mechanically). I can run out he battery in 15 minutes chocking trees with the winch. I plan an upgrade. Oh ya, I took this thing over a popular 4wd trail rock crawling. Everyplace this thing touched the ground, there was a tire Turing. Very impressive. Only other gripe, rigid frame, not much lateral flex due to the design of the 02 frames and rear trailer arm. Other Than That, it is very bullet resistant.

I'll post some pics one day. It's not perdy but it's a working SOB.

HAVE FUN

J
Lift bed/3,500 LB WARN Winch
Custom quick links front and back
10,000 LB pull hook W/ drop & go link
Sokespringsranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger 6X6

Search tags for this page
1999 polaris ranger 6x6 specifications

1999 polaris ranger 6x6 specs

2000 polaris ranger 6x6

2002 polaris ranger 6x6 specs

polaris 6x6 ranger reviews
polaris 6x6 review
polaris 6x6 reviews
polaris 6x6 tracks

polaris ranger 6x6 review

polaris ranger 6x6 reviews
polaris ranger 6x6 specs
ranger 6x6 review
Click on a term to search for related topics.