Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Hard to shift -- idling problem?

This is a discussion on Hard to shift -- idling problem? within the Polaris Ranger Diesel forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I have a 2011 Ranger XP and was having the same problem and took it to the dealer 6 months ago. When I picked it ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Diesel

Polaris Ranger Diesel General Discussions for the Polaris Ranger Diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #11

I have a 2011 Ranger XP and was having the same problem and took it to the dealer 6 months ago. When I picked it up they told me it was a maintenance issue and I had to pay $100.00. it did fix the problem but it came bake 5 months later. I called them up and asked what they did to fix it the last time so I wouldn't have to pay the $100.00 again. They told me to clean the throttle body on the air box side with throttle body cleaner. I took the cleaner and sprayed it on a rag and had some one hold the throttle wide open so i could clean behind the butterfly and then put it back together and its running great no check Engin light and it is idling perfect now and I can shift it without having to shut it off. FYI do not have it running when doing this. I hope this helps you and good luck
VCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS POLARIS View Post
I'm sure you're frustrated, and I can't blame you. But this problem you have isn't worth losing an additional $4,000 and your good name is it?

First off, what is your idle speed now? if it's still at 1100, it's still too high. if you want, I can tell you how to lower it, it's very simple.
Thanks Adam. I don't want it to come to a default. I've taken a lot of loans for a lot of money over the last 20 years, and never defaulted once. In my mind it's the option of last resort.

If someone sold me a $1000 bar of gold on credit with a $100 deposit, and when I got home I found out it was lead, I'd have to be a financial dolt to still pay him the other $900. I'd take that lead back and tell him to be happy I didn't have the time to fight him for the first $100. And if he told me I was going to ruin my name because I had a contract, I'd tell him my name would be more ruined by being labelled a sucker by my community than a defaulter by him.

I want to believe Polaris will do the right thing, and that they didn't sell me a chuck of lead, but so far my experience has been pretty negative. I'll tell you the whole story so you'll understand:

The folks at the dealer where I bought the machine were my best friends while I was in the process of buying the machine, but once the shifting problem appeared (a couple months after I owned it), they acted like they didn't know me. They originally told me that the clutch would loosen up after it was broke in a bit. Didn't happen, only got worse. I called them back repeatedly and they started ignoring my calls. Eventually I got through to a service guy who said they didn't know anything about diesels, and I was basically on my own.

I did some research online and found some other people that fixed the problem by turning down the idle. But the owner's manual doesn't tell you how to turn down the idle. So I purchased the service manual (for around $70), and come to find out, it doesn't tell you how to turn down the idle either. I called back the dealer to ask them how to turn down the idle, get through to a service guy, and he starts reading me what's in the service manual...

Eventually I called out a diesel mechanic who showed me how to adjust the idle. I turned it down from 1100 to around 950 or so, and the shifting worked great. I tipped him something like $30 because I was so elated. Two weeks later, it's impossible to shift again. Turn the idle down to 900, get another two weeks. Then 850... 800... By 750 the machine is barely staying running, and when gets impossible to shift at this point, I just stop driving it.

I did some more research online and found out there's been a recall regarding the clutch. So I called back my dealer to ask about it, and I find out they're no longer a Polaris dealer, so it's not their problem. WTF... After a bit of digging I found a number for Polaris and called them directly. They helped me find a new dealer within driving distance. The folks at the new dealership were fantastic to work with. I wish I'd bought my machine from them in the first place. They knew exactly what the issue was and had the clutch spring replaced at no charge the same day I dropped it off.

The Ranger ran great for about two weeks. Then it got difficult to shift again. The dealer had turned the idle back up to 1050 or so, so I dropped it back to 950. The Ranger ran great for another week or so. Then the shifting got stiff again. I drove it at 950 until it got impossible to shift, and it's been sitting in my garage ever since. It's obviously going to do the same thing it did before.

If you happen to know the magic bullet that will fix this once and for all, I'm all ears. I suspect, however, that if one existed, I would have found it online by now.

I think I mentioned in a previous post that I called the dealer back today and they said they would contact Polaris about it. I missed their callback, so I won't know if they have good news or bad news until tomorrow. I sincerely hope I'll be back on this forum tomorrow saying that my experience so far must have been an anomaly, Polaris is great, and that they're going to make everything right.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCGuy View Post
I have a 2011 Ranger XP and was having the same problem and took it to the dealer 6 months ago. When I picked it up they told me it was a maintenance issue and I had to pay $100.00. it did fix the problem but it came bake 5 months later. I called them up and asked what they did to fix it the last time so I wouldn't have to pay the $100.00 again. They told me to clean the throttle body on the air box side with throttle body cleaner. I took the cleaner and sprayed it on a rag and had some one hold the throttle wide open so i could clean behind the butterfly and then put it back together and its running great no check Engin light and it is idling perfect now and I can shift it without having to shut it off. FYI do not have it running when doing this. I hope this helps you and good luck
Thanks VCGuy. I doubt if it's the same issue though. The clutch spring replacement fixed the problem, which wouldn't be expected if it were actually the throttle body causing the problem. And the fix only lasted 2-3 weeks, less than 10 hours driving time. But I'll bring your suggestion up to the dealer tomorrow if they don't have a definitive solution.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #14

BTW Adam, I've read a lot of your posts on this and other forums while researching this problem, and I aspire to your level of knowledge and experience in these matters. I wouldn't be surprised if you figured out a solution. Can't say that it's likely I'd be able to implement it myself though.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #15

Mike-

Wow, that is some story.! It's really unfortunate that your dealer treated you the way they did. I hope that your new dealer can get this straitened out.

Sounds like you did exactly like I would've done to slow down the idle speed, and I don't know what I would change in what you've done so far.

I'm assuming that your ranger is a 2011 since there was a clutch/spring recall because I think they got all that fixed on the 2012s.

I believe the fix in some cases was to replace the spring in the driven clutch, and actually replace the entire drive clutch. ( I could be wrong on this)

I would pressure them to change the entire clutch out. there should be no reason for what's going on.

does your machine have warranty left? wheather it does or not, if you dealer doesn't get this right I would persue legal action against polaris(or at least threaten them with it), or at least seek out to see if there's a Lemon Law in your state.

I know this whole thing has really soured you, but I can tell you for a fact that those that have the ranger diesel really like it, and I've got right at 600 hours on mine and haven't even put a belt in it yet.!

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do!.

Adam
POS POLARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #16

Well, it's going back to the dealer again on September 6 for another clutch repair. I forget what they said the problem was this time, but at least it's going to be fixed free of charge. (Of course, "free" assumes my time is worth nothing...)

Will post an update on the 7th.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #17

I have a 2011 Polaris Ranger diesel just like MRMIKE,It been to the dealer 3 times for hard/NO shifting.1st,made some type of adjustment.2nd Recall/Update.3rd Updated spring?Now 4th time,hard no shift again.What do I do.Dealer has been very good to me.I buy alot of Farm machinery from them.Dealer support has been great.I feel that polaris Support to the dealer sucks.So I called the Polaris assistance,the gal on the other end of the phone blew me off.Did not want to listen,stated we have no issues with our machines,she really pissed me off.I'm in a Customer Support business myself,if I handled cutomers like she did,I would NOT have a job or customers.I think its time to talk Lemon Law with Polaris Industries...Spend this kind of money for that kind of support....
Partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #18

Partsman, do a little recon before you take up the lemon law...call several times to the customer support and record their performance. After several repeats, contact the upper management to show them your experience. Have your records with you and take them and the recordings to your dealer that you trust and let him work it from his end as well. Hope this helps.

Greg
WY_Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #19

Are you still having the hard shifting issue? If so I can solve It for you.
morethanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #20

Hard shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanyou View Post
Are you still having the hard shifting issue? If so I can solve It for you.
Yes,I'm still havin issues.Dealer has had it for two weeks now...
Partsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Diesel

Search tags for this page
2011 polaris ranger diesel problems
2011 polaris ranger diesel recalls

polaris ranger diesel problems

polaris ranger diesel shifting problems
polaris ranger hard to shift
polaris ranger having idle issue
polaris ranger idle problem
polaris ranger idle problems
polaris ranger shifter problems

polaris ranger shifting problems

polaris shifting problems
why doesnt my 2013 polasis ranger doesnt shift
Click on a term to search for related topics.