Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Hard to shift -- idling problem?

This is a discussion on Hard to shift -- idling problem? within the Polaris Ranger Diesel forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; Had an airlock after installing heater. Was difficult to shift when at operating temperature. Found on this forum that it may be an overheating issue. ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Diesel

Polaris Ranger Diesel General Discussions for the Polaris Ranger Diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #21

Had an airlock after installing heater. Was difficult to shift when at operating temperature. Found on this forum that it may be an overheating issue. Purged the heater and issue went away. I appreciate this thread, making me aware there may be future issues.
2006 Suzuki 400, 250, 90, 50 LTZ
2008 Suzuki m109
Billk is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #22

Shifting Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanyou View Post
Are you still having the hard shifting issue? If so I can solve It for you.
How can i get in touch with you to find out the fix
Partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #23

Hard No shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Who is going to buy a machine that doesn't shift, or take over $8000 in payments? The Ranger is completely useless. I've gone back to using my ATV while the Ranger collects dust. And I couldn't bring myself to sell a machine that I knew was bad. Polaris knows there is a problem with the diesels, and the "fix" is doing nothing help. I'm not the only person experiencing this, as a quick search of these and other forums will reveal.

I don't want to default, but the commitment I made was to pay $12000 for a workhorse UTV. Instead I got a paperweight. Where is the commitment on Polaris' end? Do corporate entities get a carte blanche sell a non-functional machine with no liability?

If I personally sold someone a $12000 machine on a payment plan, it turned out to be a lemon, and they came back and said "screw you buddy, I'm not giving you another $8000, you can take your machine back", I can't imagine I'd be trying to guilt them into paying me the remainder by extolling the moral virtues of honoring their commitments. On the contrary, I'd feel bad for selling them the lemon in the first place.

I sincerely hope Polaris will make good on this. The dealer is contacting them today to see what my options are, and I'm just concerned the answer is going to be "nothing we can do, sucks to be you". I do not want this to be the case, and I do not want to default. But the reality is, I'm not going to pawn the thing off onto some unsuspecting sucker, and I'm not going to keep making $400 monthly payments for a machine that does nothing but sit in my garage due to a manufacturer defect.

Sorry for venting. This is mostly just frustration talking. If Polaris does the right thing, I'll be back here telling everyone how great they are.
So,where are you at with Polaris and your machines shifting issues?Lets compare notes......
Partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #24

Guess I should have read this first 2007 Ranger 500EFI

Just bought the machine used, the guy was a maintenance fanatic. Got the machine home, first test drive, on pavement, get home, cannot shift gears. Turn engine off, and gear shift moves smoothly back and forth. Turn engine on, can't shift gears. I know this thread is about diesel's but I am having the same problem with gas. Suggestions? Thanks, Bob. Is it easy to turn down the idle on the gas engine?
SugaCaneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #25

no shifting

My 2011 had the recall done at the first dealer and it was no better. The engagement point went up and made it jerky to drive and it still would not shift.I went back to my old dealer and told him the problem and he ordered me a new primary clutch from a 2013. I hope to get it for the weekend so i can give it a try.
boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #26

hard to shift

I got my new clutch and went out and groomed 5 km of trails for my dogs. Did two rounds of the trails came back and it still shifts great. So if you have a good relationship with your dealer go and see it they will get you a new clutch off a 2013 it works great so far.I got mine under good will warranty.
boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #27

Wow! i am fairly new to this forum and have been reading this post on poor shifting. Why doesn't any of the dealers realize it could be a tight belt with improper shimming of the secondary clutch. A tight belt will make it want to move regardless of RPM. I would put a shim in between the 2 secondary sheaves after dismantling. 20- 30 thousands of an inch space opening the secondary when sitting at idle allows the belt to sit deeper in the secondary loosening the belt. That is why some post that it is slowly getting better. The belt slowly gets wore narrowing it slightly so ti sits deeper in the secondary loosening the belt which takes tension off the transmission wanting to be turned by the belt. Try this as an experiment. Put your Ranger in nuetral and start it. Then shift it into any gear and does it pop hard or grind? Belt is to tight! You should be able to idle that thing all day in nuetral and the cvt system should not be turning. Yes a weak spring can cause the primary to shift in prematurely but after replacing it to a heavier spring this isn't the issue. Just not enough belt deflection.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #28

Ya I have the same problem on my 2011 diesel
Polarisrangerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS POLARIS View Post
my idle speed (2012 model) is factory set at 1000 rpm. give or take a few rpm depending on temperature and load on the alternator. 1100 is to high I think. I think they got the clutch problem figured out on the 2012s.
1200 is normal my 2011 engages at 1200
Polarisrangerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #30

Clutch

Hey guys i have a 2011 ranger diesel that had the same clutch issues. I took it in and they changed the clutch springs and that worked for a couple weeks and then back to the same issue hard shifting. I took it back to the dealer and dropped it off and told them to replace the clutch with a 2012 clutch because there is a recall. The dealer called polaris and sure enough I was correct, they put a 2012 clutch on it and it runs great 500 miles later no probelms. The machine is great. Sold my 800 gasser for the diesel and have no regrets.

Good luck change the clutch and you will have no isues

John
jmranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Diesel

Search tags for this page
polaris ranger diesel clutch problems
polaris ranger diesel hard to shift

polaris ranger diesel problems

polaris ranger diesel shifting problems
polaris ranger hard to shift
polaris ranger hard to shift troubleshooting
polaris ranger idle problem
polaris ranger idling problems
polaris ranger shifter problems
polaris ranger shifting

polaris ranger shifting problems

polaris shifting problems
Click on a term to search for related topics.