Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

Problems with my new 900 XP LE

This is a discussion on Problems with my new 900 XP LE within the Polaris Ranger XP900 forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; I just bought a new 900 EX Browning edition last week, its my first UTV and I have owned nothing but Honda ATV's since 1985 ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger XP900

Polaris Ranger XP900 Discussions for the all new Poliars Ranger XP900

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #1

Problems with my new 900 XP LE

I just bought a new 900 EX Browning edition last week, its my first UTV and I have owned nothing but Honda ATV's since 1985 and honestly have had zero issues with them. I have 90 miles on my new toy, LOVE the ride, Love the power steering, Love the power....ordered a cab and heater for it as well.

I went to ride yesterday (machine had around 60 miles on it with no problems) and noticed it did not feel right when I backed it off the trailer. I put it in high and stepped on the gas and it barely moved, put back in park and tried again and same thing...rode it back and forth a little and it started to get better but it was slipping bad. I turned the machine off, checked oil and it was good, saw no obvious problems and tried it again...after about 5 minutes of slipping it started to act better so we rode about 30 miles and it did not seem to slip again . I started to notice that when you put it in reverse it "slams" into gear when you step on gas, sometimes it rattles likes it hung between gears and the locks in, it has a loud "whine" when going down a hill at a idle, really loud. It has started making a loud noise when you crank it up a very loud "pop. pop. pop" almost sounds like muffler is hitting something but its not then it stops and then it starts again but seems to go away after you get some speed going. I am also not sure the 4x4 is working correctly, in high when you out it in 4x4 it really does not feel any different even when turning on hard ground.

I really feel like there is a serious tranny problem with this machine.

I know its uder warranty but I am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling for Polaris right now....anyone else had these issues? maybe I just got a lemon?
fishslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #2

Have u washed it? Water can get into the sides where they put the intake. Another known problem is wire issues. Mainly on the ecu is what the dealer told me. If it runs crappy they have had issues with under the seat where the ecu is. Check the connections.
rharness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharness View Post
Have u washed it? Water can get into the sides where they put the intake. Another known problem is wire issues. Mainly on the ecu is what the dealer told me. If it runs crappy they have had issues with under the seat where the ecu is. Check the connections.
no I have not washed it but we did run through some water but it never gave us any problems, we had ridden it for 2 hours when I parked it on the trailer then 2 days later when I started it up is when the problems started .
Old 12-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

Dont loose that fuzzy feeling yet. I switched to polaris from yamaha in 2009 and haveny looked back. I have had 3 since 09. They are like cars, everyonce in a while one has an issue. Just take it back to the dealer and have it checked out. When you get it back it will be fine. It could be the belt or something in the clutch.
diggerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #5

Hey you can't be on this forum and report bad experience with the Ranger XP900's according to some morons on this forum there's nothing wrong with the 900's.

Your 4WD system is considerably different than the 4WD systems in other brand machines. The ranger's 4WD is speed sensitive in the fact that it engages the 4WD when it sense a difference in speed between the front axle and rear axle. Also, the front differential isn't a fully locked differential in the sense that in turns it unlocks making turning easier.

As for the popping noises, and the transmission issues, I'd contact your dealer and get some info from them, without the machine available its hard to really pinpoint a problem. Where you said that the slipping went away it sounds like there may be some water or moisture in the CVT case. I'd check that out as well.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #6

Thanks for the replys and I am definitely taking it to the dealer ASAP...was just wanting to see if anyone had these problems. Like I said I am a Honda (and Harley) guy but I did do some research plus look around at what was available and what was selling and I think Polaris owns the UTV market right now (for hunting style rigs) so that tells me that not that many people would roll out 20k for a toy if it had allot of problems.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #7

purchase price

I hope you did not pay 20K for your unit!
crowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #8

Well a LE EPS with full cab glass windshield accessories etc. EASILY totals over $20k!
SMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
Well a LE EPS with full cab glass windshield accessories etc. EASILY totals over $20k!
Yes they do, you buy a "Toy" you pay big for it. You get one all accessoried out and you are talking the cost of a new 4WD truck. I definitely won't be getting a limited edition when I get the $$ to buy but I know it won't be cheap LOL.

Definitely contact your dealer about the issue maybe they can walk you through a few procedures to check could be something simple.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #10

The UTV itself with factory installed larger tires , 4500 lb winch and EPS was at $15.8k, then I added windshield, wiper, cabin heat, hard top, soft doors, rear plastic window (all installed by them) it came to around 24.5k, the dropped it to $22.8k....I offered $20k and they said they could not do it. I went home and did some research to see how much wiggle room they had and called them the next day and said I would go $22k OTD and I had my trailer with me...they said come get it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger XP900

Search tags for this page
2013 polaris ranger 900 xp browning edition
2013 polaris ranger 900 xp problems
polaris 900 problems
polaris 900 ranger problems

polaris ranger 900 problems

polaris ranger 900 review

polaris ranger 900 xp problems

polaris ranger problems

polaris ranger xp 900 problems

polaris xp 900 problems
ranger 900 xp problems
ranger xp 900 problems
Click on a term to search for related topics.