Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Left   Polaris Ranger Forum - Header Right

ECU upgrade? K&N filter? Spark arrestor?

This is a discussion on ECU upgrade? K&N filter? Spark arrestor? within the Polaris RZR Forum Discussion forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forum category; Hello all Im thinking of changing my ecu with an aftermarket unit that is apparantly tuned for more power and the rev limiter is raised ...

Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris RZR Forum Discussion

Polaris RZR Forum Discussion Talk about the RZR

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #1

ECU upgrade? K&N filter? Spark arrestor?

Hello all

Im thinking of changing my ecu with an aftermarket unit that is apparantly tuned for more power and the rev limiter is raised 1000 rpms. Has anybody done this to thir RZRs? Is this a good thing, the last thing I want to do is wreck my motor.

One company that I found that offers this is called "Procom". (Ebay)Im not familliar with them and what little research Ive done has shown some negative feedback on other ATVs, but no input on the rzr.

I would like to see 65mph. i put in a Dragonfire EFI controller that seems to have freed up some power and Ive installed a heel clicker clutch kit that works amazing from idle to redline, (I think its probably the best upgrade for the RZR). It has my 08 running about 58 on the speedo before the rev limiter kicks in, and just about pulls the front tires on pavement from a standstill!

Also, not to awaken the air filter issue again but Im running a K&N which Ive always thought was a great filter, but after reading some posts Im not sure. Is this a mistake? After a weekend of deep mud riding, my throttle body and intake had a scary amount of dirt inside. The airbox had about 2" of mud sloshing inside, so Im guessing some of it got pulled right through. Whats interesting is that although the throttle body had a significant amount of dirt inside, the boot that connects it to the engine had no sign.. I dont get it. Anyway after cleaning everything up the machine seems to run perfect.

One more thing, I have been running with the spark arrestor removed, I took it out to inspect it, and after seeing how much it restricted the size of the exhaust tip I couldnt bring myself to put it back in. I doubt it makes a difference but it does close the tip down about 1/4" or more. I'll likely be putting a Gibson system on next spring anyways.

As always ant input is appreciated

Cheers to Polaris, the RZR Rocks!!

The Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #2

Re: ECU upgrade? K&N filter? Spark arrestor?

Allot of guys like the K&N filters but I am not one of them. Mud sloshing around inside the filter canister can't possibly be good and any debris getting past the filter and into the throttle body is NO GOOD! If the mud bogs are where you like to play then I think a snorkle system might be a good idea for your RZR.

The removal of the spark arrestor is a bad idea every time! If you ever get caught by the feds or state rangers you will get a serious ticket. You could also be at risk of starting a major forest fire if conditions are right and that is never good. They are there because it is mandated by law and for a very good reason. Even the after market performance systems must have arrestors installed.
I suppose if you were at a drag strip or a flat track it might be an acceptable practice but if you go off road and into any woods or trails then I will highly advise against removing it.

We have sponsors right here who can help you make the speed you desire and get it done the right way.

Gary
Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #3

I run a Mountain Performance Box in my Sportsman and In one of my race RZRs. Huge differance. 7700 RPM box really allows the motor get into the power range. I can't say for top speed because both machines are mud racers.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #4

I dont usually find myself in the deep mud, but on this particular ride there was nothing but. There were about 10 ATVs on the ride and I was the only RZR, Nobody (including me) could belive what the machine was capable of. Alot of sceptics were converted that day.

Does anyone have any experience with the gibson exhaust? I think that'll be my next upgrade.

Where can I get the Mountain performance box?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #5

I found the Mountain Performance Box........... at Mountain Performance. Who'd a thunk it.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #6

I hate deep mud but found myself in it just last week. Took me 3 hours to clean up and I'll be digging mud out of places for weeks.

I have not checked my filter yet but did just receive the new one from Polaris so will be doing that in the next day or so.

Bigdog 800 EFI is one of our site sponsors so you should be able to find him down below and get hooked up with the Mountain performance box.

Gary
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #7

The time it took clean up my RZR definitly will make me stop and think before I go deep again. I literally spent 5 hours by the time I took the bed off, cleaned the air box, throttle body, even the spark plug holes were full. My clutches were covered in mud, belt was cooked, I also cut a tire wide open. When I got it home and started powerwashing it made me sick to see how much mud was caked everywhere.

Maybe its just me, but this kind of use must shorten the life of any ATV/UTV.

I'll see what BIG Dog has to offer, thanks

Mark
Old 10-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #8

Do you still have the clutch spacer installed? With my spacer removed, I get about 67-68 MPH on the speedo, only about 62 according to the GPS. I am running 25" Bighorns.

I also am not a fan of K&N filters. I do use a K&N as a prefilter for my intake modification, but I would not rely on a K&N for the main filter.

2005 GMC Duramax CC SLT
2008 Polaris RZR
2009 Polaris RZR

"Have you ever stopped to think, and forgot to start again?"
2005DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #9

I couldn't agree with you more Mark! I was burried well above the skids 6 times in less then 200 yards and had to winch my way out every time. I did no damage but I also knew enough to just accept defeat and hook the cable rather then try and motor my way thru. Some find it fun while I feel it is rediculous unless it just happens and you have to get through it.

Check out the thread by DMAX and how he used a K&N in the upper air box as a pre filter. Pretty slick for sure but as he said, all it does is pre filter the air and he does not depend on it for clean air to his motor.

Around these woods I am thrilled when we get a spot where I can wind it up to 30 MPH and can't even imagine going twice that.

Gary
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005DMAX
Do you still have the clutch spacer installed? With my spacer removed, I get about 67-68 MPH on the speedo, only about 62 according to the GPS. I am running 25" Bighorns.

I also am not a fan of K&N filters. I do use a K&N as a prefilter for my intake modification, but I would not rely on a K&N for the main filter.

DMAX, you have my undivided Attention. What/where is this clutch spacer and how do I remove it? Is there a negative to doing this?

Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris RZR Forum Discussion

Search tags for this page
2010 polaris ranger 800 efi aftermarket ecu
ecu for polaris ranger
how to clean spark arrester on 2008 polaris ranger

polaris ranger ecu upgrade

polaris ranger engine upgrades

polaris rzr 800 hop ups

polaris rzr 800 no spark
polaris rzr removing spark arrestor
rzr 800 s best upgrade

rzr ecu upgrade

taking spark arrestor out of polaris rzr
tuning a polaris ranger
Click on a term to search for related topics.