backup lights - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Full Size Ranger Discussion Talk about the full-size ranger

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bluenozer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-11-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Spectator

backup lights

I have a 2011 Polaris ranger 800xp looking for help in finding the wires to hook up led backup lights an how to do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-11-2019, 09:07 PM
Weekender

The wires are sticking out of the main harness by the throttle body usually. They may be covered by tape. the will usually have heat shrink covering each terminal also but they are there.
Then you will need a universal relay and wire as follows:

Wire pin 85 and 86 of the relay to the wires coming out of the harness (doesn't matter which one goes to either terminal)
Wire pin 30 to battery + or to accessory power +. Place your fuse in this wire!
Wire Pin 87 (NOT 87a if your relay has one) to the positive input wire of your backup light or lights.
Ground the lights negative wires to chassis ground.

Done!
post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Mechanic

Garage
2011 800 xp has the wires a rear crossmember last plug in tail light harness you'll see two wires off of plug with heat shrink on them
one will have power all the time(uses tail light power) the other is ground"only when you shift it into reverse" and bam the lights come , no need for relays or any jazz its set up for a beeper and or lights right from the stealership
galiettd likes this.

2011 Ranger 800xp
14" Rims
Maxxis Tires(Big Horn)
2" Highlifter lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Weekender

That's correct, but some lights will glow very dim when hooked up that way. I've run into a number of people that had that happen. A relay cures that issue. If your lights don't show that issue, then great.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenozer View Post
2011 800 xp has the wires a rear crossmember last plug in tail light harness you'll see two wires off of plug with heat shrink on them
one will have power all the time(uses tail light power) the other is ground"only when you shift it into reverse" and bam the lights come , no need for relays or any jazz its set up for a beeper and or lights right from the stealership
Thank you it worked like you said
post #6 of 9 Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM
Paper Boy

now that I have this little nugget of info, I am putting some reverse lights on!
post #7 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Weekender

Just info to be noted on that circuit. The power for that circuit runs through the ECM and was designed to run a backup beeper only. There is very little amperage on that. Now when you hook lights directly to that circuit, you need to be aware of the wattage you are asking that circuit to supply. If it's more than a couple amps, you are asking a lot of the ECM. I totally get that guys are hooking directly to the wires and it works, but it is not the safest way to set up that circuit. A relay will separate the amperage load of the lights away from that circuit. The only power that is taken from those wires is the relay activation which is very little and what the circuit was designed for.
In the end, it's your machine, wire it how you like. But I feel it's important to make sure people understand what they are actually doing to make their own informed decision and not burn out an ECM to figure out they did something wrong. A couple bucks in a universal relay is super cheap insurance and only take a little longer to install for peace of mind. Just my $.02. Have a good one guys!
post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 AM
Couch Potato

search the wiring diagram on google
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM
Mechanic

I posted here back in 2012, on how to hook up backup lights on that machine. It was in the Modified Tech section. You can probably search and find it. There are some pictures that I posted on this site of the install. There are wires along the top of the frame under the box, that go down to the transmission. This are used for a backup alarm. I used these to trigger a relay to run the light, with the power for the light coming direct from the battery on a fused wire. I wouldn't used the light directly wired to the transmission switch, because it's possible to damage something that could get expensive.
If you can't find the pictures on this site, I may be able to get them off my other computer.
Not sure if this link works.

https://www.rangerforums.net/forum/m...-albums24.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Full Size Ranger Discussion