Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Day two of trying to get half shaft out

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  galiettd 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 polaris ranger 800 xp with a stuck half shaft directly from hell. Been trying for two days to remove. I started with pry bars...no luck. Moved on to slide hammer and rust penetrating spray....no luck. Now I have made a seal with clay around the half shaft to allow the rust penetrating spray to be held in place over night. Next move will be to remove other shaft and try to pound out with a drift. Anyone have tips on something that worked for you? I do not want to go to the Polaris stealer and get charged enormous amounts of $$$$$.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Mine was stuck also, I found quick hard hits inward on the shaft finally released it for me, it builds up with dirt inside around the snap ring, so if you beat it in it will knock the stuff out or free it up so pry bars will be able to pop it off , and i was mad so my hits were hard and true lol

Reactions: galiettd
#9 ·
I use Kimball Midwest Torq "CB" penetrating oil. I've removed dozens of shafts. Spray on and let it soak for a few hours and the shafts will come out. Works great on any rusted nut like exaust also. Just wondering if the "Polaris Stealer" who knows what they were doing would have charged. Sometimes it's a lot cheaper to have an expert do the job.

#10 ·
Unfortunately for me I'll only go so far as I feel my machinal ability allows. I bought a Polaris power steering kit for my daughters Ace 570. I took it to the dealer. More then I wanted to try to figure out and install incorrectly. If my clutch or tranny needed work. I'd take it in. I envy the true gearheads as I understand I'm not one.

#11 · (Edited)
I ended taking the differential gear with the half shaft stuck inside to our fleet garage....put on a 20 ton hydraulic press which finally broke the part free. Rebuilt transmission with new case half, seals and any bad bearings. Back on the road/trail again! Thanks for everyones input...greatly appreciated!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.