Accident in Ranger, looking for some direction. - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
General Discussion Talk about anything here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Accident in Ranger, looking for some direction.

I had an accident with 2016 Ranger 900 XP (LE.) It was a front roll over, I landed on my tires. I'm ok, but had some muscle issues which are mostly repaired.

The damage had pushed the drivers side ROPS towards the back. The part that the ROPS bolts into in the front is bent, so I can't just get another ROPS and put it on. Dealer quoted based on what I had, which is a full cab, canvas doors, ect. ~10k in parts and ~4k in labor.

Turns out I thought I had everything covered by my house insurance. But it turns out they won't cover collision.

I asked the dealer if there was any trade in value. Their not interested as they would need to get it 100%.

The lower half of the sxs looks like its mostly good outside of the possible frame work involved due to the ROPS. I didn't have an insurance policy on it as I had thought my house insurance was going to take care of things on my property. But they won't cover collision. There's a line that says vehicles used to maintain the property but doesn't say anything about collision not being covered.

The SXS is most important due to I bought a plow for it. I have a long driveway. I also use it to do property maint. like moving cut up tree parts.

Looking for a possible direction to recoup the most out of the vehicle, or a possible way to get it repaired possibly cheaper than the dealer. Someone mentioned to me about taking it to an automotive frame shop. Have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Paper Boy

I think the auto frame shop is a good idea. If you don't like that and the Ranger can still be used, you might contact a 4X4 shop and see if they will weld up a real roll cage for you like on a Jeep.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Z71
Evil Kenevil

Sounds to me like it will cost more to repair than to replace it. There must be used ones around for the same cost as the repair. Even if you find someone willing to tackle the repair it won't be cheap and there is no way to know if it will be the same after spending the $ to fix it.

Mike
2018 RZR S 900 EPS
2016 RZR 900 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If it were mine I would fix it myself but not everyone has the tools and experience to do that.
It is just an off road vehicle and it doesn't have to be perfect.
Most of these sxs's aren't perfect on alignment of the parts before they are welded together.
Suspension misalignment, mounting tabs. even frame alignment.
I saw a new atv once that was twisted front to rear almost two inches and they still got everything bolted together and it passed inspection and was put up for sale by the dealer and no one noticed until I went to buy it. They ended up sending it back to Polaris.
If you can't get anything out of it on a sale you could use it as a learning tool by fixing it.
My bet is that the main part of the frame is fine and the roll cage mounting points would be the only be only major misalignment. If you have a dealer nearby you can take measurement off of one of their rigs. I show up fairly regularly at my local dealer to measure stuff and compare. They don't care because they know sometimes I buy something.
So, it depends.
I would set it up on blocks and level it and take the body panels off and start measuring with a tape and level and comparing side to side and front to rear etc.
I still have a '15 ACE 570 that I rolled 4 times down a hill about three years ago and I repaired it and it is fine.

2017 Ranger 900 XP
2015 Ace 570

Last edited by Rockit401; 06-11-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Spectator

Frame replacement

We have an 17 ranger 900 here at Hana Ranch. One of the boys hit a big rock and totally ruined front end. I went ahead and ordered a new frame. It was about $2400. It took me and a helper about 9 hrs to change. It wasn't a real technical repair just a lot of steps. Can't believe the dealer wanted that much money
post #6 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Paper Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit401 View Post
If it were mine I would fix it myself but not everyone has the tools and experience to do that.
It is just an off road vehicle and it doesn't have to be perfect.
Most of these sxs's aren't perfect on alignment of the parts before they are welded together.
Suspension misalignment, mounting tabs. even frame alignment.
I saw a new atv once that was twisted front to rear almost two inches and they still got everything bolted together and it passed inspection and was put up for sale by the dealer and no one noticed until I went to buy it. They ended up sending it back to Polaris.
If you can't get anything out of it on a sale you could use it as a learning tool by fixing it.
My bet is that the main part of the frame is fine and the roll cage mounting points would be the only be only major misalignment. If you have a dealer nearby you can take measurement off of one of their rigs. I show up fairly regularly at my local dealer to measure stuff and compare. They don't care because they know sometimes I buy something.
So, it depends.
I would set it up on blocks and level it and take the body panels off and start measuring with a tape and level and comparing side to side and front to rear etc.
I still have a '15 ACE 570 that I rolled 4 times down a hill about three years ago and I repaired it and it is fine.
I second this. It sucks, but why I have an individual policy for the Ranger. Don't ask me why...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > General Discussion