Polaris Ranger Forum banner

15+ Ranger 900 ECU reflash now available

92K views 208 replies 23 participants last post by  thestir 
#1 · (Edited)
We are super excited to let you all know we have released our Ranger, RZR 900 ECU reflash. No piggyback controller needed. We will take your stock ECU and flash it to our new RZR 900 tune or sell you a new ECU and you can keep your original stock to swap if needed, eliminating the throttle limiter, Moving RPM limiter up, changing fan temp switch settings, and best of all, removing top speed limiter, and more! Here's a link to our page and the product details. We have several stages available and power levels from around 80-95HP depending on your modifications.

2015+ RZR 900 ECU Reflash

Feel free to call if you have questions. 651-500-0657

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Turf mode stays. You will need to change your clutching to get it to run at the higher RPM that the RZR tune makes it's power at. We have an adjustable kit already dialed in for every level of tune and tire size. Prices on the kits start at $299. We can also do the earlier Ranger 900's as well.

#5 ·
Hearing you'll still have turf mode after the reflash is the best news yet IMO. As far as the clutching part for optimal performance what's included in the kit, what if a guy already has a DDP kit (Team Tied Secondary, new primary spring, adjustable weights) would you still have to make clutching adjustments other than maybe weight adjustments?

#7 ·
You will have to make some clutching adjustments. Even with the DDP setup. But what you have will adjust to work. Need to lighten up the weights to get to 7600RPM. Otherwise you should be just fine. We do a very similar setup to DDP on the rangers with the Team tied and use QSC adjustable weights instead of Teams adjustable weights.

If you keep stock secondary you will get weights and springs to calibrate the stock stuff. If you replace the secondary you will get that completely assembled and ready to bolt on along with spring and weights already calibrated for the primary to install.

#10 · (Edited)
Stage 1 flash will get you to standard RZR 900 tune with stock exhaust and intake. Runs at 7600RPM on 91 octane and makes about 80-82HP on a ranger. 82-85 on RZR since it has a little better intake and exhaust setup and breathes better.

We move rev limiter up, remove throttle limiter and speed limiter. Then we advance the timing a little and adjust fueling to optimize performance.

Stage 1 is $499 if you send us your ECM to flash. $400 additional to purchase a new ECM. Clutching is $299 under 32" tires. $409 over 32". So total package runs about $800 shipped with your ECU in most cases, $1200 with new ECU.

You do not need the team secondary, but it does help. Unfortunately for now they are unavailable and we have been out of stock for weeks. No ETA as of yet on them and no idea if pricing will stay the same or not. They were $349 with helix to go with the clutch kit that includes weights and springs. We have setups for the stock secondary that work well too, just not as smooth and don't backshift quite as well.

Just installed this setup in a 15 rzr 900 XC that has turf mode, and Team secondary stock. 27" GBC dirt commanders. Otherwise all stock. Turf mode still works perfect. NO check engine lights or any other warnings. You'd never know it was done without reading the ECU on digital wrench. It will do endless donuts on blacktop and leaves 15' of rubber with both back tires from a dead stop in high gear. Going to need new tires on this thing soon! And it only has 12 miles on it. LOL Ranger is the same for the most part. Just a little heavier machine so it won't be quite as good.

#11 ·
The stage 1 upgrade sounds like the cats ass to me would love to go this route. I recently installed a new clutch kit from Hunterworks
which included a new Team EBS secondary and an orange/green primary spring, what additional clutch parts would I need to go along with stage 1 reflash?

#12 ·
Not sure what the spring did for you in his setup. Likely need lighter weights and maybe a different spring in the primary to match. I'd have to know what helix you got and spring rates to get you in the ballpark. We could do a set of just weights for $249 and put our base setting in them and see where that puts you. But in the end you're looking to see 7600-7800RPM out of it.

#14 ·
Not saying he was talking about you or anything, but just curious if what was said has any of these characteristics in your tune?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
Probably not us, since ours was just released a couple weeks ago after 3 months of testing. The first orders were filled mid week last week and shipped out. I don't think any of them have even been installed and run yet in online customer vehicles. And there aren't to many others offering the bully dog programmer option for the ranger. So with a little homework you should be able to figure out who they are talking about.

It's also funny that they can't tune the ecu directly like we can, but can somehow read the tune in it and know what was changed and what wasn't. How do they do that and not be able to tune it too? Hmmmmmmmm.... That's why they have to use a bully dog and don't have 100% throttle and can't retain all the factory functions of the machine.

I can tell you this, our tune in a stock 15 rzr 900 gained 1000 RPM at full throttle. That's on a completely stock machine with 3 miles on it. It's my own personal machine. That means it makes HP. You don't get more RPM just by removing the limiter. You get it by removing the throttle limiter and making timing and fueling adjustments to get the gains. The clutching is what controls peak RPM. Stock clutching keeps you at a certain RPM for the HP you make. If you suddenly gain 1000RPM you have to make more HP to do it.

We put the exact same tune in the Ranger. No changes, no special restrictions, nothing different. You will see gains with the ranger that are bigger than the rzr because they have it even more restricted and detuned in the ECU.

I have run BMPs tune in their personal Ranger. It is not without it's flaws either. You're not looking at some kind of crazy 50HP gains from any of the aftermarket tunes out there. These motors are only capable of about 90hp in stock form using all the tuning that can be done with exhaust, intake, programmers, etc. Without going internal you're simply not going to see any more than that. It's not possible. They are claiming 100+hp form this motor. Never happen. THe JaggedX 900 will barely make that and it has bigger cams, bigger porting, and dual throttle bodies.

When I get time this week I'll get out the video camera and do some blacktop donuts for the neighbor kids and record it for you all. (These kids are going to cost me a lot of tires) Did 100 miles Sat on my RZR with stage 3 tune in it now and still running stock intake and exhaust. That means I'm running really rich, and giving up about 6-8HP on it still. Didn't miss a beat. Everything from sand, rocky trails, knee deep water, fast and slow. We do it all. We are still building it and it's in 500 pieces right now getting the super charger layout planned out and audio system in it so I can't just go fire it up or I would.

#16 ·
I appreciate the feedback. I wanted your tune before, that just made me want it more. With my time frame, I will have to wait till an event labor day weekend, but you will definetely see my ecu the week after labor day.

#17 ·
I will be ordering this up soon and get the clutching figured out with RVS and post up my results.

#18 ·
Thanks for the information in regards to the clutching, this is most tempting :)!

#19 · (Edited)
Just dug up the dyno results from the tune. These were done on a 15 RZR 900 S.

Stage 1 is 4.6Hp at the wheels 6.2Hp at engine (stock exhaust and intake)
81.2 at crank

Stage 2 is 6.5hp at the wheels and 7.8 and engine (Aftermarket exhaust and Stock intake)
82.8 at crank

Stage 3 is 8.1 at the wheels and 9.7 at the engine ( aftermarket exhaust and intake opened up)
84.7 at crank

So like I said before, you're not going to see life altering gains. But when you put it in Ranger perspective from the 62 you have now, it gets interesting.

Stage 1 is a 19.2hp gain

Stage 2 is a 20.8hp gain

Stage 3 is a 22.7hp gain.

Now that makes a difference! And it is why you need clutching changes as well. We move the rev limiter up to the safe limit of the motor, but do NOT run it there. We run 7600-7800 RPM on all our clutching in the 900s with our tunes. That is well within safe for them. Stock rev limiter is 8000 on a rzr and 7400 on a ranger.

The removal of the throttle limiter is the biggest butt dyno test. The throttle response is so much faster and more predictable.

See if the others out there have any hard info to back their tunes up. Bet they are not willing to be open and honest on their numbers.

#21 ·
Just dug up the dyno results from the tune. These were done on a 15 RZR 900 S.

Stage 1 is 4.6Hp at the wheels 6.2Hp at engine (stock exhaust and intake)
81.2 at crank

Stage 2 is 6.5hp at the wheels and 7.8 and engine (Stock exhaust, intake opened up)
82.8 at crank

Stage 3 is 8.1 at the wheels and 9.7 at the engine ( aftermarket exhaust and intake opened up)
84.7 at crank

So like I said before, you're not going to see life altering gains. But when you put it in Ranger perspective from the 62 you have now, it gets interesting.

Stage 1 is a 19.2hp gain

Stage 2 is a 20.8hp gain

Stage 3 is a 22.7hp gain.

Now that makes a difference! And it is why you need clutching changes as well. We move the rev limiter up to the safe limit of the motor, but do NOT run it there. We run 7600-7800 RPM on all our clutching in the 900s with our tunes. That is well within safe for them. Stock rev limiter is 8000 on a rzr and 7400 on a ranger.

The removal of the throttle limiter is the biggest butt dyno test. The throttle response is so much faster and more predictable.

See if the others out there have any hard info to back their tunes up. Bet they are not willing to be open and honest on their numbers.
Whats the difference with the stages you show above compared to the stages on your website? Also, what is 'intake opened up'? Thanks.

#22 ·
I reversed the options on stage 2 here. It's actually exhaust with stock intake. Sorry. I'll fix my other post. Intake opened up-We didn't have a finished intake system to test with so we just removed the air filter and opened up the housing to let it breath without the restrictions. As far as testing goes it's so close that it's as good as it needs to be to get the numbers figured out. Once a good high flow filter is installed you're talking a couple 10ths of a HP difference. Irrelevant in the real world.

#23 ·
Cool, Thanks... 2 more things - 1. Can I get the Stage 2 flash, but wait to get the exhaust? - 2. Is there a forum member discount?

#25 ·
Cool... every little bit helps! Thanks. I'll ship mine Monday 9/7... like I said, I have an event Labor Day weekend, so can't go without.

#26 ·
Looked at things and we can do a package deal for the forum of flashing your ECM with a clutch kit for $750 shipped on the pre 15's and $700 shipped on the 15+ Ranger 900. That's about a $60 savings with shipping. Can't give any break on a new ECU. Polaris gets me for full price on them and I just turn them around at cost. I will work up a coupon code and you can get it from me in a PM.

Thanks guys!
Ryan

#42 ·
Are you going to offer the coupon code mentioned earlier in this thread for the clutch and ecu programming?

Looked at things and we can do a package deal for the forum of flashing your ECM with a clutch kit for $750 shipped on the pre 15's and $700 shipped on the 15+ Ranger 900. That's about a $60 savings with shipping. Can't give any break on a new ECU. Polaris gets me for full price on them and I just turn them around at cost. I will work up a coupon code and you can get it from me in a PM.

Thanks guys!
Ryan

#27 ·
10 4. Thanks

#28 ·
I have two ranger 13 900s. I have been holding out for a turf tune. Can I buy the tune and ecu at your price then send my stock ecu back to you and get a core refund so to speak, after it checks out to be good of course? I would pay you $50 extra to not have the turn around time. Also I have adjustable weights and a bunch of springs,would you tell me where to start with weights and what spring you recommend? It would save me a lot of fn around to start with. I would do one first and see how it works then the other if it does work.

#32 · (Edited)
I have two ranger 13 900s. I have been holding out for a turf tune. Can I buy the tune and ecu at your price then send my stock ecu back to you and get a core refund so to speak, after it checks out to be good of course? I would pay you $50 extra to not have the turn around time. Also I have adjustable weights and a bunch of springs,would you tell me where to start with weights and what spring you recommend? It would save me a lot of fn around to start with. I would do one first and see how it works then the other if it does work.

We aren't currently offering any kind of exchange program. To many possible issues there with people getting used ECUs that might be older or possible water logged or something. We are currently waiting on more ECUs to come in. We have been flashing these almost non stop the last week. Takes about an hour to do each one so we only get about 6 done a day right now. Will have more new units in stock Thursday.

At some point we may offer an exchange program with a core charge, but not yet. If anyone orders and is not happy with the tune we will gladly work out a refund and reflash back to stock if you like. That is no problem. We stand behind the products we offer 100%.

I can certainly give you an idea of where to start with clutching. That is no problem at all.

EDIT: We could probably do an exchange type thing where we send you one of our ECUs to use, you send yours to us, we flash that, send it back, and then get our loaner back. Then we wouldn't have to worry about possible issues with sending your used unit to another customer down the line. I'll look into it and see. At least then you'd never go without your machine, and would still end up with your own ECU at the end.

#29 ·
^Why no just buy two tunes for your ecu's ????

#31 · (Edited)
I would but use rangers almost daily and to my understanding it will take almost two weeks by the time i take it out, have ups pick up, shipping time, them to re flash time, them to send over to ups, shipping time back to me. I am willing to wait just wondering if this would be an option. They have nothing to lose I pay in full for re flash and ecu, then I take the chance of them being honest and refunding me all but 50 bucks for the ecu when they receive and check mine out to make sure it is good. I think a lot more people would take this option if it was there. Have you received yours? How long did it take? I am guessing on the two weeks. Please post results if you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.