Polaris Ranger 500 Earlier model discussions

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
bms
Couch Potato

Newbie Help With Purchase

Hello,
I am new to the forums, and currently in the market for a smaller sxs. I have been researching the Ranger 500 and the Honda Pioneer 500. I know all the ďon paperĒ differences between them, and Iíve driven both a few times. Both dealers are relatively close, and the cost difference is minor (Honda maybe $350 less).

I am new to atvís and utvís - never owned either. I am older (59), so no crazy riding - nothing super fast or dangerous. My main uses are:

• Taking my 17 year old son, who has autism, for rides in the bush and teaching him to drive it.
  • Plowing my driveway.
  • My older son may drive it on bush roads near our home.
  • Minor, occasional yard work.

I have researched to the point of paralysis, and Iím looking for some advice from those who mayknow these machines. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Flat Tire

When I was shopping for a larger machine last fall I found that the Honda was considerably noisier (engine noise) than the Polaris. I previously had Yamaha Rhino 400 and the only knock on the Yamaha was it was very noisy.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The Honda 500 doesn't have a locker in the front differential which might be a problem plowing snow.
The Ranger is a step above the Honda in my opinion.

Smoother ride.
More stable.
Less noise.
Has a dump bed with a tailgate.
Has turf mode, which you will come to love if you get the Ranger.
Etc.

2017 Ranger 900 XP
2015 Ace 570
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 02:47 PM
P.T
Slow Poke

The Honda 500 was a little disappointing to me, now the 700 and 1000 is a different story, the 500 ranger is a good machine but to me the 570 for a few hundred more is a lot more power packed, 44 HP. That's as much as some of the 700s out there, the Yamaha Viking 700 is only 46HP
post #5 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 02:49 PM
P.T
Slow Poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.T View Post
The Honda 500 was a little disappointing to me, now the 700 and 1000 is a different story, the 500 ranger is a good machine but to me the 570 for a few hundred more is a lot more power packed, 44 HP. That's as much as some of the 700s out there, the Yamaha Viking 700 is only 46HP
Sorry, I know I probably made decision harder
post #6 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
bms
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.T View Post
Sorry, I know I probably made decision harder
A month ago you’d have really complicated my decision, but I think that the 500 will be fine for me. My neighbor has a 570 and he plows driveways as a side job. He thinks a 500 is enough for me.

I did drive a leftover ‘17 Honda Pioneer 400-4, and it was really nice - 4 seater with flip down seats that converts to a dump bed, front locking diff, but a little too big and a little too much $$$.

https://m.rdpowersports.com/Utility-...2-a951015837bd

The Pioneer folks always say that Polaris machines are more maintenance intensive - need to grease them, be careful with the belt, etc., and that they tend to wear bearings, bushings, etc., where the Hondas are all sealed - nothing to grease, etc. Is that all true, and for my use, will that matter?

Last edited by bms; 02-10-2019 at 05:40 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes there are things that need to be greased. But if the bushings get water in them, which they will, the grease will push it out. I have never had a problem with wheel bearings in 23 years. I have never replaced a belt in 23 years. You need to drive a cvt rig a little differently than a torque converter in that when you take off you need to give it enough gas to start moving. You can't just give it gas and just let it sit still and if you are going slow you need to use low.

The Honda 700 doesn't have a low range which it needs.
It also doesn't have turf mode.
I did replace a set of bushings on the rear of my Ace but none of my other rigs have needed it.
Did you drive the Pioneer 500 and the Ranger 500 on anything other than pavement or smooth hard pack?
If you could drive both on a trail with bumps and hills, especially side hills, etc you will get a better idea of the differences.

2017 Ranger 900 XP
2015 Ace 570

Last edited by Rockit401; 02-10-2019 at 06:05 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 PM
P.T
Slow Poke

Just saying for 500.00 or less than 10$ month in payment, if u shop around!!
U will go from 32 to 44hp, it's a big difference
post #9 of 26 Old 02-11-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
bms
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit401 View Post
Yes there are things that need to be greased. But if the bushings get water in them, which they will, the grease will push it out. I have never had a problem with wheel bearings in 23 years. I have never replaced a belt in 23 years. You need to drive a cvt rig a little differently than a torque converter in that when you take off you need to give it enough gas to start moving. You can't just give it gas and just let it sit still and if you are going slow you need to use low.

I did replace a set of bushings on the rear of my Ace but none of my other rigs have needed it.
Did you drive the Pioneer 500 and the Ranger 500 on anything other than pavement or smooth hard pack?
If you could drive both on a trail with bumps and hills, especially side hills, etc you will get a better idea of the differences.
How often do the Rangers need to be greased with moderate, non-extreme use, and occasional Pennsylvania plowing in the winter? Is it a pain, i.e. grease fittings hard to reach, need to jack it up, etc? I drove the Pioneer only on pavement, as both dealers were in towns, and the Ranger in a hilly field, with some bounces, but nothing intense.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
bms
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit401 View Post

Good points about the P700. How often does the Ranger need to be greased with light to moderate usage, including PA snow plowing (not too frequently)? Is it a pain to grease, i.e. hard to reach fittings, need to jack it up, etc?

I tested the Ranger in hilly grass field near the dealership, but the Pioneer was only on flat ground - both Honda dealers are in towns, so I didn't get a true picture of both. The Ranger was smoother and easier, of course, and I thought the P500 was "sportier" - a little more rough, and of course you could feel the 5 speed downshift and upshift.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger 500