mechanical genius or blind luck? - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger 500 Earlier model discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-02-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Spectator

mechanical genius or blind luck?

Bought a 2006 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 cheap since it idled too fast and wouldn't shift hardly at all unless you turned off the engine. Some internet reading convinced me that if the idle were fixed the Ranger would shift properly. I'm not a mechanic, but hey, what've I got to lose? I installed new: fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel tank cap, carburetor, spark plug, coil, spark plug wire. (Original spark plug had black soot. Maybe this is important later.) I got it to idle slowly and therefore shift easily. Yay!

Now, I'm a perfectionist. It would miss some at idle and wouldn't take gas. It would stutter and nearly die trying to accelerate from idle. I could get it going, but not perfect. Hmm. Maybe not getting gas or air flow not right. Bought a new fuel pump; installed. Now the carburetor overflows like crazy. This was the condition: it would start and idle very good for maybe 30 seconds. Then it would idle a good bit faster for maybe 30 seconds. Then it would die or nearly die. Carburetor overflows the entire time.

Maybe air flow restricted so it's not burning all the gas. Looked everywhere air flows: air filter under dump bed (fuel was running into this housing, uphill from the carburetor!), breathers under hood. I even disconnected the exhaust at the motor to make sure air was exiting properly. None these affected the idle: good, too fast, dies.

So, I unplugged the fuel pump. Perfect idle! Mechanical genius? It was getting too much fuel! It seemed to run fine without a fuel pump. I took it for a spin. After 2000 feet, it died and wouldn't start again. Aaarrrggg! Reconnected fuel pump. Back to original condition. Now backfires some.

Now, I need help. Clearly, the new fuel pump and the old one too perhaps will supply gas too fast at idle causing erratic running, but not fast enough when needed to accelerate. The one I bought was cheap aftermarket replacement, the old one was also aftermarket. Besides buying an expensive Polaris OEM fuel pump, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Slow Poke

Mine was doing the exact same thing, however I fixed mine by cleaning the throttle body and checking that the throttle cable wasn't binding up and not releasing the throttle all the way back down to idle.

The new problem you have of too much fuel I'm not sure..

You mentioned a carb, is the float in the bowl stuck or maybe has a hole in the float and filled with gas weighing it down?

Worth checking even if new....
post #3 of 3 Old 09-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Paper Boy

The original problem of idling too fast. There is an idle speed screw on the side of the carb. Just back it out slightly till it idles properly and make sure the cable isn't hanging up. Was the carb you put on one of the internet $39.95 Chinese ones? If so put the original back on. I've seen lots of problems with these. Was the fuel pump an oem or aftermarket? If aftermarket did it have the correct pressure? Too much pressure can make even a good carb leak.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger 500