Diesel ranger issues - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger Diesel General Discussions for the Polaris Ranger Diesel

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Getorfmyland

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-24-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Spectator

Question Diesel ranger issues

Just looking into buying a new diesel ranger and wanting to see what year models to avoid and what issues to look for. I have found several left over 2013 & 2014 models with the Yanmar engine. I keep reading about clutch/tranny issues all over the net. Were these issues on the 13'&14' models? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Weekender

The 2013 and 14 units I've been around have been trouble free. Probably 2000+ hours combined. I'd have zero issue buying one.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Paper Boy

Got a '13 Crew Diesel and experienced the shifting problem but my dealer fixed the problem with a new clutch and I haven't had any shifting problems since. That's been 8 to 9 months ago or longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-14-2014, 02:30 AM
Couch Potato

2015 Diesel Ranger

I have a brand new 2015 model, which is fantastic in every way apart from one.
It wont go uphill!
Loaded with passengers and bags of corn in the bed, the belt slips in high travelling on roads uphill.
My dealer has been excellent and came straight out with a new belt but that didnt change anything.
They now tell me Polaris are aware of the problem and are producing a fix kit which they say is a vented belt cover to aid cooling. (already avaiable for the Razor?) i have say this sounds unlikely to work. The belt slips from stone cold whist the factory are claiming the belt is overheating which then causes the slipping. Not convinced!
Anyway my dealer has told me to carry on using the machine and they will keep supplying belts if necessary, but would love to hear from other users if they have similar issues as I am torn between waiting for a proper fix and splashing on a Duraclutch.
Cpl_Gump74 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-24-2015, 10:12 PM
Spectator

Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getorfmyland View Post
It wont go uphill!
Loaded with passengers and bags of corn in the bed, the belt slips in high travelling on roads uphill.
My dealer has been excellent and came straight out with a new belt but that didnt change anything.
They now tell me Polaris are aware of the problem and are producing a fix kit which they say is a vented belt cover to aid cooling. (already avaiable for the Razor?) i have say this sounds unlikely to work. The belt slips from stone cold whist the factory are claiming the belt is overheating which then causes the slipping. Not convinced!
Anyway my dealer has told me to carry on using the machine and they will keep supplying belts if necessary, but would love to hear from other users if they have similar issues as I am torn between waiting for a proper fix and splashing on a Duraclutch.
What was the final story on your problems?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Spectator

performance....

Hi, I need information about performance between yanmar and Kolher engines, seem like 2016 Diesel Ranger in EU has nothing in low RPM and not really better in high RPM in compare to the older yanmar, so have you had the possibility to test these 2 engines, just for to know if the problem is with European EPA or because the engine...
need to push the throttle very long before have a real reaction...after short ride the last Gator seem like a race machine beside the new Ranger...(?)
post #7 of 10 Old 08-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Spectator

Changed from Cpl_Gump to Cpl_Gump74, anyways, mine after going 8 or 9 months problem free the shifter/clutch started jamming up again. Each time the dealer would put a new clutch on but it didn't solve the problem. Those problem free months I didn't do any riding just moving it around the yard and made a circle or two around the neighborhood. Between the shifter/clutch problems and the over-heating problems ect... I sold it before my extended warranty expired.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getorfmyland View Post
It wont go uphill!
Mine didn't like going up hills either. I mostly rode on roads and I noticed going up any hill say doing 40 mph it would easily drop between 15 to 20 mph, had no guts to it at all.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 AM
JV1
Couch Potato

Ranger Diesel

You should take in to consideration that Polaris has a very poor air intake design that is used on many of their models, including the Diesel. Make sure you check and clean your air filter regularly and replace as needed. Also, make sure that the air box is closed properly after cleaning. Dust ingestion is a common occurrence and nothing is being done by Polaris. I am in the process of exploring what sort of 2 stage filter I can install to replace the Polaris air box. Currently, I am working with Donaldson to determine what will fit, but have nothing as of yet.

You can see that here:
https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/engi.../cleaners/fpg/

In the meantime, I've ordered a Uni two stage filter that will fit in to the current air box.
You can see that here:
https://forwardpowersports.com/index...nu-8517st.html

If you plan on riding in severe dust, dirt, or sand, consider the particle separator below. It does not replace the original air box set up, but adds on to it and will not void the warranty.

You can see that here:
https://www.sbfilters.com/particle-s...0-1000-76-2008

Should anyone else have any other ideas, please post.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2018, 10:00 AM
JV1
Couch Potato

Run a compression check on the engine. Also, I'd consider a Duraclutch. There are a variety of videos you can search for that demonstrate what this clutch set up will do for you.

You can see that here:
https://www.duraclutch.com/product/d...ch-15-512-kit/

Hope you get it resolved!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Diesel