Shifting Problems - Interceptor's Secondary Clutch Mod - Page 2 - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger Diesel General Discussions for the Polaris Ranger Diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #11 of 14 Old 12-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Mechanic

Chalkhead, I still have a spare 2012 Diesel primary. The needle bearing feels a little dry and the buttons are tight on the spider. If you want to try to fix it I'll send it to you. PM me with your address.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 12-17-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Spectator

Interceptor,

Thanks for your reply.

I would feel bad making you pay to send a 'free' clutch to me.

I do appreciate your help with this and in no way would blame you for this not fixing my issue.

I really like your ingenuity and creative approach to the problem.

I was looking at the 2011 clutch on the Ranger. To me it looks like the buttons are stuck on it, and would obstruct the movement of the spider. I bought a clutch tool and a service manual to see if I can't pull it apart and clean/rebuild. I also think a weaker spring would help.

The real issue may be the alignment of the primary and secondary. I'm hoping the service manual covers the proper alignment procedure, although from reading the threads on the diesel, it apparently doesn't even cover idle adjustment. We'll see when it gets here.

If you really want to get rid of the 2012 clutch, send me an amount that you would accept for it+shipping, and your address/paypal and I'll send payment. Unfortunately, you'll have to PM me since I can't send PMs until after I have created 5 posts.

Happy Holidays and Thanks again for your help with this.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Mechanic

The alignment is extremely critical due to the tight clearance between the belt and primary sheaves. I think the narrower Sportsman belt alleviates this problem somewhat by increasing the clearance, but the fixed sheave clearance (toward front of vehicle) still needs to be checked/maintained. It's relatively easy to check using feeler gauges and it is covered in the manual.

The stock 2011 primary spring should be black/silver with 3.05" free length. 2012 should be black/red with 3.05" free length.

The manual does not cover idle speed adjustment, probably due to tight emissions regulations. It's not in the engine manual from Yanmar either. It's pretty easy to figure out which screw to adjust by looking at the throttle linkage on the injection pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 02-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Paper Boy

Chaulkhead, not sure of the year, but the "stuck in gear" sounds like the one way bearing on the primary...especially when it shifts freely with the engine not running. Pull the primary and clean out the bearing. Don't use grease because it will hold belt dust and grit. Clean it out and l finished with brake cleaner. Put the clutch back on, and with the cover off, crank it and see if it idles without spinning the belt. If it works correctly, I think the one way bearing is about $80. I reused the original and is still working correctly, but haven't put that many miles on it. Let us know what happens. Good luck!

RedNeck Lovin'
'13 Ranger 900 XP EPS, 5" S3 Lift, Rhino Axles, 29.5" Terminators.
'12 Sportsman 850 XP EPS, 29.5" Terminators.
'06 Rhino 660, Gorilla 6" Lift & Axles, 27" Mud Mayhems.
'06 Sportsman 700, 2" Lift, 27" Mud Lites
'12 Commander 1000 X, Catvos 6", Gorilla Axles, 32" Terminators.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Diesel