New 2017 Ranger Diesel up in smoke! - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger Diesel General Discussions for the Polaris Ranger Diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-23-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Spectator

Angry New 2017 Ranger Diesel up in smoke!

April 3rd, 2018 I purchased a 2017 Polaris Diesel new. With 44.4 hours on the motor it lost compression and started to smoke while driving down a mountain road. I called the dealer where it was purchased on 10-25-18 and was told I'm covered and the nearest Polaris dealer can do the repair. I called the nearest dealer on10-26-18 and after I explained who I was and what happened I was told that they can't look at it for 3 weeks. Three weeks later the service manager told me that it's out of warranty on 10-30-18 and not covered. It went out of warranty in between the time I called and when I got it to the shop, but the Service Manager told me that was my tough luck.

There was a service bulletin on this very issue, the oil sump pick-up tube I think is what was said to me. The dealer that has it hasn't done one thing since I dropped it off a week ago, and didn't call me after telling me he'd check into that service bulletin. He was a butt-head about it.

Okay, I (foolishly) bought an extended service contract and thought I was covered. Wrong. The warranty is an "in house" rip-off and doesn't apply unless I go to the place I purchased or one of THEIR authorized shops, which both are HUNDREDS of miles from me. Okay, I called Polaris directly and opened a claim today, we'll see. Nobody I has spoke to said anything about calling Polaris direct until this happened. The dealer that sold me the extended warrant knew where I live and told me that it was honored at any authorized dealer, except the Polaris dealerships aren't authorized under this service contract!

BTW, I also purchased over $5K in accessories from Polaris for this machine. I need it to push snow now not next year. I've read about Polaris' troubles. Has anyone been in this predicament?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-31-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Spectator

Unhappy New 2017 Ranger Diesel up in smoke! Part 2

After trailering this unit 600 miles to 2 different dealers, the place of purchase agreed to look into my issue. Even though the owners manual clearly states the engine and spark arrestor are covered for 1000 hours and/or 12 months against factory defects and covers parts and labor. No one I've spoke with in the last 5 weeks will acknowledge it. Even Polaris customer service claims the warranty is only 6 months. The ONLY reason the place of purchase is moving forward on this problem is because I bought an extended service warranty. So, yesterday a phone call tells me that the engine problem is likely a broken high compression piston ring. The oil and fuel were tested and not contaminated. They are still waiting for a response from Polaris.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Spectator

Since I can.'t edit my post:

Okay after 7 weeks and over a thousand miles taking this machine to two separate dealers I finally got the thing fixed. This customer service experience was a nightmare! It took a month just to get the dealership to look at it. While I was waiting for a spot at the dealer to open up, my warranty expired. The dealer told me to take a hike because Iím out of warranty and it doesn't matter if I did report it prior to expiration. I followed Polarisí instructions on how to report a problem to the letter, just to get blown off.

The issue ended up being a shop rag that got sucked into the intake manifold. However they werenít able to produce the rag and insisted the fuel/water separator needed replacement too. Before this engine failure happened I had driven the machine for weeks. The dealer said thereís no way to determine how a rag got in the motor other than to say human intervention was present.

Funny how the first dealer told me the fuel was good, but refused to even look at the machine, requiring I take it 400 miles to where I bought it. That dealer said the fuel was contaminated and that the separator needed replacement. Who are you supposed to believe? Anyway after $850 and 7 weeks my machine is working again.

FYI on the fuel/water separator, use care when you have cold numb fingers, and donít drop and lose the bleed off screw. It costs $165 to replace.

Another example of bad customer relations; I bought this diesel with a 72Ē snow plow to push snow. I didnít receive a manual from the dealer for the plow so I was in the dark on operations. This is my first snow plow. The dealer where I bought the machine assembled and mounted the plow. First outing I broke the shear pin because the pivot bolts were loose and the springs too tight.

This whole experience has been wrought with problems. Once they have your money itís so long sucker! However the machine pushes snow like crazy; I just wish the dealerships were better with parts and service.

Trying to get parts for Polaris accessories outside the dealership is impossible. I canít find repair parts online and have to go through the dealer that is hundreds of mile away, is because itís still too new? The dealer has to order the part then shipped to me because Iím in rural America. Any reliable aftermarket companies around?

If I were to do this over I would research not only the machine, but consider customer service and the ease of access to replacement parts too. Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Diesel