2011 EV Issue - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 11-02-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

2011 EV Issue

My EV has been great, but has run into an issue that has me stumped (which ain't hard...). We were riding one evening, rolled over a small log and heard a "whack!" on the bottom of the EV. I don't know if the whack had anything to do with it, maybe knocking something loose, or just coincidence. Suddenly, my EV would only roll forward very slowly, with a very faint, regular ticking sound. After towing it back to the barn, I looked everywhere and could see no signs of damage. So I did the usual, checked and filled all the battery cells (all good), removed and cleaned all the battery wires (replaced one that had corroded through), replaced the MPC (long overdue- it was pretty fried) and charged her back up. Everything comes on like normal, but still creeps forward (and backward) very slowly. Surely there's an answer?

2littletime

2011 EV that's currently rockin'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Roosted

Garage
Check the green light pattern on the motor controller. That sounds like some kind of protection mode that has kicked in. Also I assume there are no malfunction / temp lights coming up on the dash, but make sure that's not because the bulbs have burned out
post #3 of 26 Old 11-02-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Steady green on the motor controller under the seat. I have switched key on in neutral, and off and on about a zillion times. Lights on the dash all work
cricketo likes this.

2littletime

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

But I still have the same problem...

2littletime

post #5 of 26 Old 11-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Miller Time

Check the voltage output from the accelerator.

Does 2WD or AWD work right?

Voltronics 160Ah Li-ion conversion kit is installed in my 2013 EV.

Hold the Control key down and click on a picture or a link, or a Thread, to open it in a new Tab.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-05-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Thanks Xfaxman. Will do next time I'm there in a week or so. I believe I checked 2wd and 4wd when this first happened, but maybe not... Stay tuned!

2littletime

post #7 of 26 Old 11-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Belt Smoker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyboats View Post
My EV has been great, but has run into an issue that has me stumped (which ain't hard...). We were riding one evening, rolled over a small log and heard a "whack!" on the bottom of the EV. I don't know if the whack had anything to do with it, maybe knocking something loose, or just coincidence. Suddenly, my EV would only roll forward very slowly, with a very faint, regular ticking sound. After towing it back to the barn, I looked everywhere and could see no signs of damage. So I did the usual, checked and filled all the battery cells (all good), removed and cleaned all the battery wires (replaced one that had corroded through), replaced the MPC (long overdue- it was pretty fried) and charged her back up. Everything comes on like normal, but still creeps forward (and backward) very slowly. Surely there's an answer?
Perhaps-related story:

My Polaris Rangers are 2011 and came from a salt mine. The brakes are badly corroded and are 'stuck on' most of the time when I go to move it (my range is pretty bad because of that)

For the longest time I thought the controller was bad, since with 'Medium' speed, it would only 'creep' forward and reverse. Once I got the 12V DC/DC converter working, and I could select High and Low, it worked much better. But I had checked the throttle signals, 12V signals, connectors, and a bunch of other stuff before I figured that out.

So .. can you push the Ranger forward and reverse with the steering straight, on level ground?

And have you tried High, Medium and Low speeds?

If the 'Clunk' was a failure of some part of the brakes, and the brakes are holding the ranger back ... perhaps that could explain your slow movement. It's a bit thin, but I think it's possible.

2011 Ranger EVs - bringing them back from the dead!
post #8 of 26 Old 02-11-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Just getting around to really trying to fix this issue. I have tried all speeds and all wheel drive options. It can be pushed on level ground, SO,

I have narrowed it down to the motor, as all volts and amperages going to it are fine. And the brakes are not locked up. Got the motor off (are they really all glued to the housing?) What a pain the butt that was. Problem now is, I am now WAY above my pay grade on figuring out what is wrong and have no diagnostic tools to test it. Plan is now to bring it to a place that repairs electric fork lifts. The motor has only 170 hours on it, so hopefully it is something simple. Well, I'm past simple at this point... Polaris dealerships in the Dallas area seem unwilling to take on the project and look at me like I have three horns for owning an EV.

Any friendly advice would be incredible.

2littletime

post #9 of 26 Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 PM
Turbo

Wondering if it could be the speed bearing sensor located in the motor
post #10 of 26 Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Is that something that's DIY-able, or should an experienced shop be better to look at it?

2littletime

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV