Delta Q charger rebuild - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
Delta Q charger rebuild

Does anyone have info and contact info for any companies that repair the chargers in the Ranger EV? I have one source available.

2014 Ranger EV
Voltronix USA 200AH Li-ion Conversion
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin " Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Superwinch Terra 1500 Mounted on rear cargo bed
Overhead Gun n Bow Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 PM
Roosted

Garage
Is repair much cheaper than buying a replacement on Ebay (typically under $300) ? Doesn't have to be DeltaQ either, you can wire any suitable charger directly to the battery bank bypassing complexity of the Ranger's wiring.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-23-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
Yes that is another option for the owner to consider. Have seen all those and read on this forum about other brand chargers.

2014 Ranger EV
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin " Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Overhead Gun n Bow Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-23-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
So if u install a onboard charger that’s not a delta match what do you do w blank harness. Nothing? Obviously the on dash charge indicator wouldn’t work anything else affected by not using a delta?

2014 Ranger EV
Overhead Gun n Bow Rack
post #5 of 22 Old 03-23-2019, 01:12 PM
Roosted

Garage
Correct, just leave the harness alone, and connect charger directly to the main pos/neg on the battery bank.

Additionally, it may be attractive to some people not to install charger at all so it can be shared across multiple vehicles / systems. I use this charger for all of my battery projects :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chargery-C1...4AAOSwExlaVRDC

And could use it to charge Ranger as well regardless of battery types. That is not to say I recommend this particular charger (I don't, Chargery is a questionable brand), but to elaborate
on the use case.

Last edited by cricketo; 03-23-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-24-2019, 04:37 AM
Mountaineer

Another alternative, is the Zapi / Zivan SG6 range of sealed 2kw chargers. These can be programmed using a can device (I use IXXAT) and the Zapi software. But they are a sealed product and seem reliable. Their footprint isnt a lot different from Deltaq. I have used Zivan NG3 on a Ranger, but its heavily modified and the charger is fully enclosed (its only an IP25 so the water resistance of a paper bag). That can really push pout the popwer, but we have to cut it back to about 10a load on the 230v mains. Otherwise the mains plugs get melty.

Deltaq are now owned by Zivan, but here in the UK previous agreements mean that Curtis provide the Deltaq Support and Zapi are not allowed to sell or support them.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-24-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
Thanks Grumpy. I had a TitanUTV a few years ago and it had a onboard Dual Pro charger that connected directly to the batteries although they were AGM But the charger would charge either.
This is not for my Cart w the Voltronixs kit its doing great besides still having glitches w the DC converter. Once in awhile it only puts out 9.5 volts.Sometimes 14.1.

2014 Ranger EV
Overhead Gun n Bow Rack
post #8 of 22 Old 03-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Mountaineer

With my current higher voltage conversions, I have to change the DC to DC, and have two I use, one has a lower voltage potential than the other and is more suitable for the small pack version I supply. Both are 250w, but one is physically a lot larger than the original sevcon. The smaller one also has the option of a separate signal wire being separately excited to start and stop. (If pack power is permanent) this does allow me to separately control the DC to DC which enables me to use it to keep the 12v live, other than when the vehicle is actually turned on. I have a brilliant little circuit board that turns on a small relay for two hours if the 12v battery reaches 12.2v for 20 seconds. (in cars that allows for short blip in voltage from central locking). That can then give a separate feed to the DC to DC turning it on, keeping the 12v charged. This is important to keep the Pack Management unit alive monitoring the cells. Previously on Lifepo4 conversion I have added a small 12v battery charger. Works well , but only if the vehicle is regularly charged. Which these vehicles have been. One even has a 200ah Lifepo4 12v unit, that was there to feed a 2kw inverter. But never used in anger that way.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-26-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
Sent the charger to Flight Sustems Industrial Products in Carlisle, PA. Complete rebuild w 6 month warranty. 4-5 day turn around 261.00 plus shipping. Lou gave me their contact info and had talked to couple guys who had sent their chargers to them and were pleased.

2014 Ranger EV
Overhead Gun n Bow Rack
post #10 of 22 Old 03-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Spectator

I am curious if they also changed the algorithm for you. I may well go the same route

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV