Charger not flashing algorithm - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old 04-25-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser

Charger not flashing algorithm

Just bought a used 2012 Ranger EV and wanted to see what charging algorithm it is using and change it if needed. However, having gone through the process of setting it up using the procedure I found in this forum (https://www.rangerforums.net/forum/p...gorithm-9.html), the 80% charge light does not flash. It just stays solid. I have read and reread the instructions and feel pretty sure I have it right. Plus, I would think that just disconnecting the MPC connector and plugging charger in to power would show me the code (without worrying about the jumpers yet). Been searching this forum, but have no idea what to do at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 04-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Turbo

With the MPC disconnected it should display the algo. You mentioned that the unit you bought was used that makes me wonder if the previous owner ran a hot wire back to the batteries. Try disconnecting the plug with two wires coming out of the drivers side of the charger. That should then allow you to check the algo
post #3 of 63 Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1947 View Post
With the MPC disconnected it should display the algo. You mentioned that the unit you bought was used that makes me wonder if the previous owner ran a hot wire back to the batteries. Try disconnecting the plug with two wires coming out of the drivers side of the charger. That should then allow you to check the algo
As for running a hot wire to the batteries, the headlights were replaced with some led lights. I found that they were running directly off of one of the batteries. Not sure if that is what you are talking about, but I had disconnected them to see if that had anything to do with it, but apparently not. I didn't see anything else that appeared to me to be custom wiring. It will probably be Saturday before I can get back to it, but I will try your suggestions.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 Old 04-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Turbo

If you have any questions or need help feel free to call me 217-430-3101 Lou
post #5 of 63 Old 04-27-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser

OK, pulled the plug and still no code. The 80% charge light and the AC On light are both on steady. After a short period, the Fault light flashes code 2, which I would think is to be expected since the batteries are disconnected.
post #6 of 63 Old 04-27-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser

As an update, with Lou's assistance, it appears I may have a bad charger and will look at getting it checked out. Attached is a picture that shows a blue wire splice. While these splices usually have two wires going in one side and one coming out, this one has two wires running all the way through. One end goes to the fuse box located above the charger. The other ends go into the plastic shield for a large wire harness. I don't know where they go from there. I am wondering if this is a modification by the previous owner or did it come from the factory this way. Does anyone else have this on their Ranger?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3162.JPG (1.57 MB, 4 views)
post #7 of 63 Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Modification

It looks like an owner modification; and, what is the white coaxial cable for?

2014 Ranger EV With Voltronix USA Li-Ion Conversion
post #8 of 63 Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser

Been playing with it and it appears I am not getting switched 12 volts off of my switched power relay. So someone tied it in to the constant 12 volt wire. trying to track that down now.

The white wire is what someone used to replace the regular headlights with LED headlights. One goes to a switch in the dash, and one to one of the batteries. There is a relay in the circuit and I think a terminal block was added for this. Anyway, I have disconnected them from the battery. Will deal with that later. Probably won't ever use the headlights anyway.
post #9 of 63 Old 04-28-2019, 12:53 PM
Cannon Ball

The wiring diagram in the service manual shows that red wires with a dark green tracer are used in the switched power circuits.

Does the orange wire it is spliced to have a tracer?

If it is a white tracer, it is used in the "fused 12 vdc receptacle" and accessory circuits.

Voltronics 160Ah Li-ion conversion kit is installed in my 2013 EV.

Hold the Control key down and click on a picture or a link, or a Thread, to open it in a new Tab.
post #10 of 63 Old 04-28-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser

Yes, the orange wire has a white tracer and the red wire has a dark green tracer. And it appears that I got it backwards last night. The orange/white wire is dead and the red/dg wire may be working as intended. Still checking some things. At this point, the ranger will barely move if the wheels are turned straight. If I turn them, it just sits there. 50 volts on the battery pack. This started after I removed the jumper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV