Factory Li-ion edition range versus upgraded EV - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-07-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Factory Li-ion edition range versus upgraded EV

All -

I did not see a specific forum just for the Polaris factory li-ion edition. Are there are users here that have the li-ion edition as it comes from the factory and if so what kind of range does it get. Curious as to battery specifics as well, plus any other differences. It looks like it has a speedometer and some other additions. I am just curious how the range on the li-ion unit from Polaris compares to upgraded li-ion after market battery packs. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Cliff Hanger

There are some but not many all of my EVís are the original wet cell version. Did they come back out with lithium models? I know they pulled them from the market for a while because of issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 16 Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Roosted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantana View Post
All -

I did not see a specific forum just for the Polaris factory li-ion edition. Are there are users here that have the li-ion edition as it comes from the factory and if so what kind of range does it get. Curious as to battery specifics as well, plus any other differences. It looks like it has a speedometer and some other additions. I am just curious how the range on the li-ion unit from Polaris compares to upgraded li-ion after market battery packs. Thanks.
You can get pretty much any range you like with the aftermarket approach.

Nissan Leaf module weighs about 9lb. Original Lead-Acid pack weighs 700lb, which is equivalent of 7 in series, 11 in parallel of Nissan Leaf modules.
Each module is 500Wh, so that's roughly 38.5kW. Say the promise on these used modules is that they're at least 70% of their original capacity, so roughly 27kW.

For comparison, eight 155Ah batteries will give you about 14.8kW. Seems like you'd get at least 60 miles out of 27kW pack everything else being equal, as Polaris estimates up to 30mi on Lead-Acid pack.
Factory Lithium version is promised to deliver up to 50miles, but I suspect their pack size is only 12 or so kW. Somebody else may know for sure.

Either way, you can always go with new modules that have 100% of their capacity, and also you're not limited by weight / space of the original battery compartment - additional modules can be mounted in other parts of the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 02:44 AM
Mountaineer

In june I will be doing a Li Ion conversion on a brand new Ranger, the purchaser didnt have the option of a factory li Ion here in the UK. Since he is intending long and constant use, it will make financial sense to go for the 14kw pack option straight away. Hopefully we have a home for the new lead pack coming out. A similar conversion has been giving a farmer over 3 hrs run time over fields and roads, towing a sheep feed trailer. Way beyond what he ever achieved with the old lead, even when new (he was replacing lead acid about every 18 months even with regular maintenance) To reduce charge time on the new vehicle , the owner has opted for a swap in charger for a 2kw unit. Thats not extra add on, but a higher capacity sealed charger in the same location as the original. The new cabling also takes away the junction in the loom and the hot spot at the connector near to the main contactor.
In the UK the factory Li Ion just doest seem an option at the moment.

The weight reduction on this conversion will be around 130kg.

If anyone has any images of the 2019 model, I would love to see a shot of the dash area of the passenger side with the front footwell. On older vehicles , I replace the std power lead (not good with a UK 13a plug) with a 16a power inlet above the passenger cup holder. Cable then kept separately. The dash / footwell looks like it may have changed.

The factory Li ion appears to be a 12.3kwh pack (according to the parts list)
post #5 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyb View Post
----------------------

If anyone has any images of the 2019 model, I would love to see a shot of the dash area of the passenger side with the front footwell. On older vehicles , I replace the std power lead (not good with a UK 13a plug) with a 16a power inlet above the passenger cup holder. Cable then kept separately. The dash / footwell looks like it may have changed.

------------------------
I did an image search and found this: https://www.teamwinnebagoland.com/in...4904-10002135i

2019 Polaris RANGER EV Dashboard.jpg

Voltronics 160Ah Li-ion conversion kit is installed in my 2013 EV.

Hold the Control key down and click on a picture or a link, or a Thread, to open it in a new Tab.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Mountaineer

Thanks
It looks a little challenging to get the power inlet in the same place as the older versions. May be able to sit it in the new shelf. Then not far from the old position.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Cliff Hanger

Yeah they donít even offer a Lithium version here in the USA any more. I think because of all the issues they were having with them. I just checked and they removed it from their website.

post #8 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Cliff Hanger

Wow they still have the stupid parking break in the middle of the seat? What idiot designed that? They are g crack.

post #9 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Flat Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth1 View Post
Wow they still have the stupid parking break in the middle of the seat? What idiot designed that? They are g crack.

Obviously looking for that small sports car look. Even moved the dash switches down low and made a large storage cavity to look like its ready for a media screen.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Mountaineer

As I will be looking to sell on the original battery pack, I checked on the US parts website and it doesnt list Trojans, but the UK Polaris company says that the 2019 sold in the uk still has T1275. I do hope they are correct.

I really dont like the hand brake in the seat, the bench seat is so useful. No more sitting in the middle for some customers dogs!!
The new dash board layout is also a bit of a mess. They seem to be changing the market appeal to a leisure one rather than a working one. Here in the UK they are virtually all working machines, we just dont have the tracks for people to go out trail riding . We are not a big country and most land is privately owned , even the national parks are actually private land, just very controlled as to what happen in those areas.
The sales stuff here doesnt even mention the Li Ion version.
Any idea what the extra cost was, when it was on offer? The parts price for a Brammo pack is listed at over $11k

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV