EV will not roll / parking brake light - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

EV will not roll / parking brake light

Hey guys, short story several months ago I got the EV stuck in a big hole and had to leave it for a week till I got a tow. Half of the motor was underwater all of the controller was dry.

After I got pulled out, the EV drove perfectly, hunted the rest of the season no problem. I’ve driven it a few times since then.

Yesterday the EV would not move. Headlights work, all switch lights illuminate, I hear the “clunk” when toggling to turf mode, the controller has solid steady light, accessory receptacle works, etc.

Nothing happens when pressing the accelerator. The parking brake light does not illuminate (I switched the bulbs so I know it’s not a bulb issue). Also I can hear the click when the parking brake is released.

When brake pedal is depressed, only one of the brake lights comes on (both running lights work fine).

I tried to manually roll the machine by pushing and no go. It won’t roll like its stuck in gear. Hooked it up to the truck, slowly pulled away and saw I was dragging the machine, again it wouldn’t roll. So I stopped for fear of really screwing something up.

I just need to get it to move so I can load it to take it to the shop.

Any ideas for me to check? Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Cannon Ball

Are all 4 wheels not turning?

Put it up on 4 jack stands or otherwise supported with the wheels off the ground. Turn wheels by hand to see what moves with the key off.

Then turn the key on, select turf mode and see if there are any changes

Voltronics 160Ah Li-ion conversion kit is installed in my 2013 EV.

Hold the Control key down and click on a picture or a link, or a Thread, to open it in a new Tab.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-08-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfaxman View Post
Are all 4 wheels not turning?

Put it up on 4 jack stands or otherwise supported with the wheels off the ground. Turn wheels by hand to see what moves with the key off.

Then turn the key on, select turf mode and see if there are any changes
Good idea. I’ll try that when I get home from work. But there was no movement in any mode (awd/2wd/turf) with all wheels on the ground.

Will report back tonight. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Ok just jacked and blocked everything. None of the wheels move freely when moving by hand.

They also do not respond to f n r Either.

Seems fishy that the wheels are locked, won’t respond to F N R, and the parking brake lamp does not illuminate.

Are those three things related somehow?

Thanks!
post #5 of 22 Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Cannon Ball

The F N R switch has no effect on manually rotating the wheels. It is switching to turf mode that unlocks the rear differential.

I guess I should have given you the entire "check the driveline procedure":

With the key off the rear differential is locked. Rotate rear one wheel, it should move easily. The other side should rotate the same direction.

The front wheels should also be easy to rotate and move independently.

With the key on in Turf Mode the rear wheels will rotate opposite directions.

AWD locks the rear and enables the front differential. Rotate one rear wheel and all the other wheels should rotate the same direction.

With the parking brake pulled on and the key on, does the red wrench illuminate when you step on the accelerator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnSparks View Post
Ok just jacked and blocked everything. None of the wheels move freely when moving by hand.
Does that mean they do move with some effort?

With the parking brake on, will they move at all?

Hold the Control key down and click on a picture or a link, or a Thread, to open it in a new Tab.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-31-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfaxman View Post
The F N R switch has no effect on manually rotating the wheels. It is switching to turf mode that unlocks the rear differential.

With the key off the rear differential is locked. Rotate rear one wheel, it should move easily. The other side should rotate the same direction.

The front wheels should also be easy to rotate and move independently.

With the key on in Turf Mode the rear wheels will rotate opposite directions.

AWD locks the rear and enables the front differential. Rotate one rear wheel and all the other wheels should rotate the same direction.

With the parking brake pulled on and the key on, does the red wrench illuminate when you step on the accelerator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnSparks View Post
Does that mean they do move with some effort?

With the parking brake on, will they move at all?
Sorry for the delay. I have now tested everything out as you laid out.

1. With the key off, the rear wheels will not move more than 8” or so. And the little they do move, they move in opposite directions.

2. The front wheels do move easily and independently.

3. With they key on in turf mode, the rear wheels do move easily and in opposite directions.

4. With AWD selected, moving one rear wheel...the rear wheel will travel 1/8 of a rotation, the other rear wheel moves in the opposite direction. There is nothing happening to the front wheels in AWD when trying to move either of the rear wheels. The front wheels do still move freely and independently in AWD.

5. With the key on and parking brake pulled, in N the red wrench light does illuminate. In F and R it does not.

6. With the parking brake on, the rear wheels do not move. The front wheels still move freely and independently of one another.

Thanks for all your help on this.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Cannon Ball

Quote:
1. With the key off, the rear wheels will not move more than 8” or so. And the little they do move, they move in opposite directions.
With no power they are locked and move in the same direction. The solenoid unlocks the differential and they move in opposite directions.

So something is messed up in the main gearcase: http://parts.polarisind.com/browse/Browse.asp

post #8 of 22 Old 06-01-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Thanks. That’s way above my pay grade. Is there something I can do to at least get the machine to roll?

I can’t even get it out of my back yard to take to the shop.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Cannon Ball

Not that I know of, other than raising the rear end off the ground.

post #10 of 22 Old 06-03-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Here another question. Is the front differential not working related to the rear not working?

Also remember the parking brake lamp does not illuminate when pulled.

It feels like this is electrical to me due to all the issues at once. Meaning that if there was something messed up with the main gear case, that shouldn’t impact the front diff...am I way off base here?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV