Middle fuse burnt beyond recognituon - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-13-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Spectator

Middle fuse burnt beyond recognituon

My charger started blinking red twice for "low battery voltage". I checked the fuses under the seat and the middle fuse was completely burnt & melted. I'm new to EVs, but I've read that this fuse is undersized and is frequently replaced with a larger inline fuse. What color / # of amps is the original fuse, and what type / size of fuse is recommended when replacing with inline fuse?
Is there any other fuse or component that I need to check that is damaged when this fuse burns up?
Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Turbo

You can bypass the center fuse by cutting the two center wires that go to the burnt fuse and then solder or tightly crimp the new external fuse holder. You can buy these at Autozone or Oreillys. I am using a fuse holder that takes the automotive type fuses that have a a larger spade. The fuse holder that I bought has a rubber lid cap that covers the fuse. Make sure that you replace it with a fuse of the same amperage. (some Ev’s have a 25 amp and others have 20 Amp fuses, why I don’t know). Either will work. The problem with these tiny fuses is that the small spades of the fuses as well as the fuse holders are not designed to carry the 18-20 continues Amps that the charger puts out during the first charging face. You will also need to keep a close watch of the MPC connector under the sear since they are also known to cause problems. If you want you can call me and I will gladly help or explain with more detail . Lou 217-430-3101
post #3 of 7 Old 05-13-2019, 02:40 PM
Cannon Ball

Arrow Charger Fuse

The 2013 uses a 30 amp, 48v rated fuse. Have never had a problem with ours.
battery charging.JPG

Voltronics 160Ah Li-ion conversion kit is installed in my 2013 EV.

Hold the Control key down and click on a picture or a link, or a Thread, to open it in a new Tab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Wholigan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrmorrell View Post
My charger started blinking red twice for "low battery voltage". I checked the fuses under the seat and the middle fuse was completely burnt & melted. I'm new to EVs, but I've read that this fuse is undersized and is frequently replaced with a larger inline fuse. What color / # of amps is the original fuse, and what type / size of fuse is recommended when replacing with inline fuse?
Is there any other fuse or component that I need to check that is damaged when this fuse burns up?
Thanks,
Dave
Try this. use the Large spade inline fuse w protective cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3791.jpg (280.5 KB, 3 views)

2014 Ranger EV
Voltronixs USA 200AH Li-ion Conversion kit
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin " Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Superwinch Terra 1500 Mounted on rear cargo bed
Overhead Gun Rack
post #5 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Spectator

Lou and Boilermkr,
Thanks for your help. I replaced the small fuse with a new inline fuse holder and 25 amp fuse with larger spade. When I attempt to charge, the new fuse does not get hot. However, the charger lights up the light showing it's plugged in to power (second light from bottom), and the light at the top which I assume means full charge. When I first plug it in, it shows the power light and then the light immediately above it but within seconds the light moves up through the other lights until only the top light remains lit. When I turn the key, the battery meter on the dash shows 37% and doesn't change. What would make the charger not charge as if the battery was full like that?
Thanks,
Dave
post #6 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Wholigan

Garage
Quote:
Lou and Boilermkr,
Thanks for your help. I replaced the small fuse with a new inline fuse holder and 25 amp fuse with larger spade. When I attempt to charge, the new fuse does not get hot. However, the charger lights up the light showing it's plugged in to power (second light from bottom), and the light at the top which I assume means full charge. When I first plug it in, it shows the power light and then the light immediately above it but within seconds the light moves up through the other lights until only the top light remains lit. When I turn the key, the battery meter on the dash shows 37% and doesn't change. What would make the charger not charge as if the battery was full like that?
Thanks,
Dave
I think your charger is charging if the top led is on. Probably your charge indicator needs resetting. It gets off once in awhile actually its not very accurate at all. i monitor my batteries on the LA w a digital meter and percentage chart. Once the battery charger fits green and is fully charged disconnect the dash charge indicator at the connection behind the black fuse box. easier if you remove the 2 screws. Wait 30 seconds and reconnect.

2014 Ranger EV
Voltronixs USA 200AH Li-ion Conversion kit
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin " Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Superwinch Terra 1500 Mounted on rear cargo bed
Overhead Gun Rack
post #7 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 PM
Hog Chaser

Quote:
Lou and Boilermkr,
Thanks,
Dave
This is out of a Delta-Q user manual from their website. Shows what the charger LED's are telling you. I am charging mine for the first time, so I am kind of watching the lights to see what they really do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger LED.jpg (492.6 KB, 3 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV